Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any tips on preparing my dogs for a new baby?

CityLimits
November 7th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I have seen so many postings from people that have had a baby and are then trying to dump their dogs because things are just not working out.

It got me thinking as I am expecting my first baby in May and would never even think about getting rid of my dogs. However, are there things I can do with them in advance to prepare them for the new arrival? I know they will have to share their attention with the new baby and it might take some time until they get adjusted. My 3 dogs haven't had much exposure to kids since we adopted them and I am not sure of their history before that.

Any advice or experiences would be great!

lilith_rizel
November 7th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Citylimits,
I too am expecting, I am due in 7 weeks. I have heard that using baby products i.e. lotion, oil, shampoo, on yourself helps, as well as brining the baby blanket back from the hospital, before you bring home the baby, and give it too the dogs.

moontamara
November 7th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I am not expecting a the moment, but my husband and I do plan to start a family in about a year, and am soooo worried about my dog... in my case, there is only one dog, so perhaps the adjustment period will be more difficult. He thinks he IS the baby... I'm anxiously awaiting responses from parents/dog owners!!!

Actually, I had a dream that my husband was asking me to get rid of Casey because of our (still fictional) baby. It was awful. I woke up wondering if Lilith is having any worries about bringing baby home to pets!

Lucky Rescue
November 7th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Here are a bunch of wonderful and informative articles on preparing dogs for a new baby, and dogs and kids!!:)

Dogs and kids (http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/kids.htm)

anniebananie
November 7th, 2004, 08:13 PM
When the baby is born...and b4 you go home - then take a blanket and rub it all over the baby and give it to the dog as a gift. The dog will get the message that he has a new blanket and it will smell of the new baby. He should accept the baby as a new member of his pack that way. Most dogs accept a baby as another dog/puppy - if they know it's smell and know who is alpha dog in the house (you and your husband) - so will be accepting of the newest member of the pack. :crazy:

Bearsmom
November 7th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. When Robbie was born, we took one of his swaddling blankets (receiving blankets) home, and let Bear sniff it. The other thing we did was to not freak out at Bear any time he went near the baby. Far too often, people will banish their pets from any family activities, then wonder why the dog is acting aggressively towards the infant. Just remember to include your dogs in family activities, and they should be just fine.

Congrats to all the new mommies! :)

DogueLover
November 7th, 2004, 09:27 PM
First off Congrats to the mommies to be!

Older dogs can be easier to accept a baby, especially the females. When we brought our daughter home from the NICU our dogs( then we had rottweillers) were very attentive and protective of her. Our female I am sure thought she was a puppy and doted on her. She would sleep beside the crib and the minute the baby moved or made a sound she would come to get me.... almost didn`t need a baby monitor. They both were somewhat confused by the baby crying............. but soon got used to it. I brought a blanket home from the NICU as our daughter was a preemie and was in the NICU for 6 weeks and let the dogs have it.
If I were to have to do it again the only thing I would do different would be to find a doll that cries and bring it around the dogs and make it cry. I think that may have helped mine to not be stressed and confused over it.
You will have a lot of people tell you not to let the dogs near the baby because they might try to smother/ maul it. They are just curious and letting them sniff the baby in its blanket will also help them to get used to the smell and movements of the baby.

Just remember to include them and when people give you the "great advice that only non dog owners can give" just smile and nod.

Good luck to all

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 06:36 AM
we had our mastiff before the children and when we had our first we let him smell the blankets and smell the moses basket etc. we also had a niece who he was used to and we had taken him to training classes which had a lot of children in them. We Just let him sniff to smell and look what it was didnt let him drool over him or lick him but just to look and smell he was great with the boys accepted them no problem.

I now face the challenge as im planning on getting a dog next spring of getting the dog used to 3 hyper boys lol! The baby shouldnt be a problem the mastiff was very good but was quite shocked when my eldest started crawling but you couldnt have asked for a better dog. Perhaps get the dog used to children if you have any realations with them but a baby doesnt really do much.

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 07:10 AM
great ideas girls I have copy and pasted all of these replies for my daughter and myself. As some of you know she had just got a dog then found out she was preggies. My dog is also new to the family and well I just never thought of it till now .....I must also prepare my dogs for a new baby to be around 'cause I want her to visit often :)

Rottimom
November 9th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Good tips everyone. I too am trying to conceive and am already wondering how our current "baby" will react when the time comes. I like the idea of getting a dog used to the sound of a baby crying.