Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I Return The Cat?

pitbulliest
November 7th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Guys I'm in a bit of a rut here. I don't know what to do. I found a kitten in the lobby of my apartment building this morning and I don't know what to do about my situation. I took the cat in because it was just a little baby and I brought it to my apartment...I fed it and gave it something to drink and the cat was starving..and I mean starving..I don't know how long it was there for...anyways..I took it to my boyfriend's house and he already has two cats but he wants to keep the little guy.

I came back home and I see a sign in the lobby saying this:
"Little orange kitten lost... if anyone has seen it please call (416) 828 blah blah... cat was given to me from my father who has recently passed away reward when found. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks."

Anyways..so I called the person and told her I saw the kitten in the lobby..turns out this girl lives on my floor...I've seen her before...she's a young girl..in her 20's..she lives with her boyfriend..I always hear them fighting and swearing at each other...I don't know what to do...my boyfriend loves cats and the little guy would have a great home at his place with other cats...and this girl..well I don't know...I am really confused..should I let the kitten stay with my boyfriend or should I give the cat back to this girl? I mean we live on the 7th floor and this cat was found in the lobby..and it was starving..uhm..I dunno....its kinda weird.

Please guys..I need some advice, quickly :(

Shaykeija
November 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Where there is abuse in the home there is a high chance that someone or something is going to get hurt. My personal feeling is keep the kitten. Fighting and screaming, is the next step in physical harm? A person can always leave, call the police or get help. A kitten wouldn't stand a chance from a foot attached to an angry person. My :love: rules my head. I would want to make sure that kitten is safe.

pitbulliest
November 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I feel the same way. I hear the guy yelling and screaming at her, and I dunno...if her father gave her the cat, she should have made sure it was safe with her instead of losing it like that. I mean, how would the cat end up in the lobby from the seventh floor? The poor thing was so hungry and thirsty and I just felt terrible.

Thanks for your comment.

melanie
November 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
just because i may argue loudly with my husband at times does not mean he is a wife basher, i am jsut a loud and passionate person. and we are not about to beat our dog either.

i think you should return the kitten, the girl has an attachment to it and the cat may have great meaning for her, if she really didnt care why would she post the note in the lobby?

i dont think it is your place to judge the marital or similar harmony in anothers home, you are not in their home so you can never be 100% sure. either way it is her legal possession and she has requested it back, i think it only fair and right to give her back her legal possession and the gift her dead father gave her.

how would you feel the next time you pass her knowing what you know, if she does not want the cat back then you BF can have it but the cat has a home and an owner and it must be returned. how do you know she is not really hurting for her cat? perhaps if the cat looks a bit thin you can mention it when returning say under the guise that you thought it became that thin whilst lost, then you can offer advice and help her to be a good owner and take it from there. taking away her cat wont help her be a beter owner..

chico2
November 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
I know many would say I am wrong,but I would ignore the note..if you know your brother would give him a good home,I am sure he would be better off.
Do what you think is best for the kitten,if they are screaming and fighting,maybe partying a lot,that little kitten would not grow up in a good environment,maybe even get abused,he was probably put on the seventh floor by someone. I would not hand him over unless I knew he would have a wonderful home for the rest of his life.Let your brother keep him :thumbs up

Bugsy
November 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
"Little orange kitten lost... if anyone has seen it please call (416) 828 blah blah... cat was given to me from my father who has recently passed away reward when found. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks." :(

I think you should give the kitten back. It may very well be her first pet &
the kitten could just have ran out the door. If there are children in your building ... this may explain how it got to the lobby. She too may not have thought to look in the lobby. Kittens need to eat many times a day...so a kitten not eating for even 1 day would be famished.

:sorry: I don't think you should judge them. If she took the time to place
the "lost" ad and mentioned there was a reward...she obviously cares about
the little bugger and wants it back.
Give the kitten back and mention that if ever she no longer wants it, you would be happy to take it in.

melanie
November 7th, 2004, 03:03 PM
put yourself in that position, if someone thought you did not care for your animal adequatly and had an oppertunity to take it and they did can you just imagine how much that would suck. will you at least be honest if you keep the cat and tell the girl , it is not fair to leave her there thinking her cat is dead or worse, it would be the right thing to do.

BamaRama
November 7th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I agree, I think you should return the cat, appearances can be deceiving..I know I would be devestated if I lost any of my cats and they never returned, especially one with such sentimental meaning as being given to my by my late father :(

Just do what the others suggested, and give her tips, maybe she doesn't know that kittens need to be fed every few hours. Hey, if anything, you'll make a new friend in this girl..with that boyfriend around, seems like she needs it.

goldenblaze
November 7th, 2004, 03:28 PM
You believe you have the right to keep the cat, you think you know what goes on behind closed doors! Shame on you,
return the cat big point it is not your cat!

Imagine people talking about you in away like that, I know how it feels and you are wrong.

chico2
November 7th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Oh well,reading through all the answers I suppose I could be wrong,I don't even know this person.But too often I've known people getting a cute little kitten,only to dump them when they are grown cats and often they are very young people with busy social-lives and different BF's.
I would go to her apt,tell her I found the kitten,thinking he was abandoned...maybe she would even agree to let him go to your boyfriend,if not you can always interfere if there is any trouble in the future.
I missed the fact the kitten was a gift from her father :sorry:
I still in my heart would prefer he goes to your boyfriend,who is experienced with cats,but I hope you will be able to give her some pointers on how to properly care for the little thing and that this little life could be with her until she is 40yrs old.

melanie
November 7th, 2004, 03:51 PM
chico thas a great idea, go and tell her you think you found a stary NEAR the building (no need to say you found in lobby) and took it to your BFs forthe moment as you couldnt keep it in the apartment. mention you think it may be her cat, then see what she says, if she is really happy and stoked, take the kitten to her, tell ehr where you live etc and mentionthe cats thin and stuff, the advise her, or she could say keep it. good idea lady :thumbs up .

heeler's rock!
November 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM
I agree that you should return the cat. When I got my first cat, Puff, I was very young and lived with my BF at the time. We had friends that would come over and party, but I would always look out for the safety of my cat. I would get mad at them for smoking or drinking around her and I would lock her in my bedroom until they left so that she wouldn't get hurt. We would yell at eachother a lot and had some serious issues, but I would never let anyone EVER touch Puff. She's still around today and living happily with my mom and sister!

I know it's hard to ignore the yelling and such, but I would have been devastated if anyone ever took Puff, just because my BF and I had some problems. Kudos to you though for loving animals enough to take the time to ask! You have a big heart! :o

Gazoo
November 7th, 2004, 04:25 PM
It's not your cat to keep!!!!

You don't know if it was well cared for or not. Kittens are always starving :D

It most likely snuck out and they are worried about it enough to put up a poster.

Just because they yell and swear at each other does not at all mean there is abuse in their home. Arguing does NOT equate to abuse in any way shape or form.

The cat is hers. Return it.

BTW I agree with Heeler's Rock...good on you for caring ;)

lilith_rizel
November 7th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I would talk to the woman, and tell her, that when you saw the kitty, it was very hungry, and explain to her, that it will need to be fed alot, and get plenty of attention. Tell her that if she ever needs advise about the kitty, for whatever reason, she can ask you. Also offer to pet sit if she needs it one day. By becoming aquainted more, if for some reason, she does get rid of the kitty, she will most likely come to you first. Plus you will also be able to see how kitty is doing.

2Cats&AGolden
November 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Making assumptions about how this cat is being cared for is not fair. What if it were your cat? I suggest you give the girl back her cat. Despite the fact that she fights loudly with her boyfriend, I'm sure she's sick with worry over her kitty. Unless you have concrete evidence that the cat is being mistreated, you are absolutely obligated to give it back. If your boyfriend wants another kitten, there are plenty available from your local shelter or humane society.

LavenderRott
November 7th, 2004, 05:53 PM
My husband and I have been known to fight on occasion and we are rarely quiet about it. I think there may even be a hole in a wall somewhere. Oh, and I can outcuss a sailor when occasion warrants it.

Having said that, I can assure you that no animal in my house has ever been touched in the heat of an arguement or because of one.

Give the girl her kitten back.

It is kind of like people making assumptions about you because of the type of dog you own. Don't you think?

pitbulliest
November 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM
You believe you have the right to keep the cat, you think you know what goes on behind closed doors! Shame on you,
return the cat big point it is not your cat!

Imagine people talking about you in away like that, I know how it feels and you are wrong.

You know what? I don't need your bixchy attitude.. I was wanting what's best for the cat..and you saying I should be ashamed of myself is really quite lame...I came in here asking people's advice on what I should do...not having a negative reaction because I actually gave a damn..thanks a whole lot..maybe next time I see a cat starving to death I just won't give a rat's butt about it...your positive comment was great..thanks..

Lucky Rescue
November 7th, 2004, 06:42 PM
Can we stick to giving advice and not passing personal judgements on someone who truly believes they are doing what they feel is best to help an animal.

pitbulliest, I can't advise you since I don't know the people in question or what their lifestyle is. Maybe you could give her some pointers so this tiny kitten doesn't end up alone and hungry in the lobby of an apt building again?

You could also tell her that if she find herself unable to keep or care for the kitten, your b/f would gladly take it in.

maybe next time I see a cat starving to death I just won't give a rat's butt about

Would you really refuse to help a starving or suffering animal because of a comment on a message board??

anniebananie
November 7th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I think the cat should be handed back to it's rightful owner. You may have found it - but she did take time to put up a poster asking if it had been found. Sometimes kittens escape and find themselves in strange places - but I think that you should give it back. It isn't really yours to give to anyone - and just supposing someone saw you with the kitten then told the owner? What would you say to her if she came to you???? Whatever their life style is - it isn't your business - and the cat does belong to them. I saw the post earlier today and have been thinking this through b4 answering - but I know I how I would feel if someone took a cat of mine. :sorry:

goldenblaze
November 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM
LR wrote "Can we stick to giving advice and not passing personal judgements on someone who truly believes they are doing what they feel is best to help an animal."

I agree, so why pass judgement on the real owner of this cat without known the whole story! You say I have a bixchy attitude.. no I just wouldn't want someone keeping my pet if he ever got away from me well I was going out of my mind with worry.

heeler's rock!
November 7th, 2004, 07:49 PM
This is really stupid. Why is everyone judging pibulliest? If I found a cat that wandered away from the 7th floor of an apartment building, and I knew the people that owned it faught a lot, my gut reaction would be to get the cat out of there! Pitbulliest was being concerned for the welfare of this cat and did the right thing, for the moment. She realizes this isn't her cat and she just wants to be sure she is doing the right thing. There is no need to be harsh or rude and it's really not fair.

She asked us for our help and advice, not our criticism on how she handled the situation. She doesn't know this girl or her BF but you know what, if she didn't look out for this kitty and something was going on, who would look out for it's welfare? She is just trying to do what is best for the kitty and doesn't need attitude from any of us. I'm grateful for people like her looking out for the well being of animals. Thank you pitbulliest. :o

BamaRama
November 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Well said, Heeler's!

lilith_rizel
November 7th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I would have done the same thing that she did. I grew up in a family with lots of yelling, and some violence. But the pets were always safe. I think that she should just try to become friends with this lady, and offer help with the kitty. Offering help would make her more apt to ask for advise, when needed.

krdahmer
November 8th, 2004, 12:07 AM
just because i may argue loudly with my husband at times does not mean he is a wife basher, i am jsut a loud and passionate person. and we are not about to beat our dog either.
I have to say that hubby and I are definitely "passionate" on occassion when we argue, but ditto Mel...it does not mean we ever use more than colourful language, we just happen to both be stubborn and under the impression that we are always right! :rolleyes: But my kitties are always very loved and very taken care of, I even feel tremendously guilty when we do raise our voices at each other because they get that look and storm into the other room. On the other hand, we have also never let our cats roam the hallways or failed to make sure they are getting the proper nutrition. If this cat was starving, that may be an indicator that it is not properly cared for, but as for being out in the lobby, cats are fast and quiet, it could have simply snuck out as they were leaving and they did not notice it missing until they returned home (although if it was in the lobby thats hard to believe).

Bottom line, I can't tell you what to do, but I would be inclined to go with giving this girl, as she is young, a second chance. She has an emotional attachment to the cat, went so far as to put up posters, and deserves the benefit of the doubt, just this once. It happens again I say take the little guy and don't look back. That's what I did with my Buddy, I knew they were not caring for him properly but she had a little girl, so I first took it to her to offer some advice and inform her that he was having health problems. Then after she still failed to take him in or treat him for his ailments, I took him in.

Good luck in your decision.

Cinnabear
November 8th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Yes you should return the cat. It's not even yours to consider it belongs to you. The person put a lost poster up. Ya people fight all the time, doesn't mean they don't care for their pets. And ya some pets do escape temporarily. Like I said it's not yours to consider keeping. I certainly hope if you lose anything people would be considerate enough to return it.

squarejane
November 8th, 2004, 02:21 AM
i don't believe that the majority of these posts have had any judgemental qualities to them... pitbulliest, you obviously have your heart in the right place. i agree with most of the posts that the kitten should be returned but it certainly isn't an easy situation. you would feel horrible if you found out later that something happened to the kitten. you would also feel terrible if you saw that gal crying and upset for losing her little precious kitten, and knowing that you were the reason they weren't reunited. i say all this to let you know that i appreciate your dillema.

a similar situation happened to an old roommate of mine. some lady my roommate knew was supposed to pick some stuff up at our house... and she met the kitten and decided that the kitten was malnourished and needed a "better home". it was really upsetting because this kitten was not mistreated or malnourished, just your typical constantly hungry kitten. my roommate never got her kitten back... even though she called the police. sadly the police stated to her that they wouldn't get involved due to the low cost of the merchandise she was out!! :mad: :sick: the lady who took her cat was not as thoughtfull as you are being at all as she took something from someone's house without permission and then hid the kitten so that when my roommate went to her house she couldn't find kitty. you on the other hand obviously are in a quandry and really do have the kitty's best interests in your heart and are asking us to help you do the right thing.

sorry that was so long. :o

BMDLuver
November 8th, 2004, 08:24 AM
The only comment I could make is that perhaps the kitten came to her in very poor condition. Her father may have been elderly and not realized that he was not taking good care of it. Perhaps she has in fact improved the kitten's health since being in her care. It's just food for thought.

lilith_rizel
November 8th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Yes, her heart is in the right place, trying to concider what is best for the kitty.

sammiec
November 8th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Violet, I would return the cat. She made a concerted effort to make a poster for the kitten. She must care about it.
For all we know it could have run out an open door and a child could have carried it to the lobby where their parents made them leave it behind. We never know.
My hubby and I are VERY vocal to each other and tend to yell sometimes; but that doesn't mean we don't love each other or our pets.

Please return the kitten to its owner. :sad: :sorry:

melanie
November 8th, 2004, 03:09 PM
dont worry love eh, big chill. :love: :crazy:

any way i think chico had a great idea yesterday, and you never know, the chick who owns the cat might be pretty cool and you could make a nice new friend in the building, now that could be alot of fun. also she may need help with ehr animal, she might not have any idea what she is doing, i know i didnt when i got my dog all those years ago and it took some real lessons to get it right, whati would have done for a neighbor like you to ask questions from, even what to feed them and that sort of thing and that may be a reson the cat is skinny, she just doesnt know. those were the sort of little things i didnt knowwhen i first got a pet, so perhaps that is what she needs. and you can make a new friend in the building which is always good and you cna help make her a great pet owner and have a happy life with her animals, now that would be very saitisfying if you ask me.. :crazy: :love:

let us know how you go, there could be a great fun adventure ahead of you out of this, yippee skippee :D

mastifflover
November 8th, 2004, 03:23 PM
I think taking in the kitten was the right thing to do and I think you should talk to the owner. You can let her know that if she needs any help you are there. It was a gift from her dad and that is something that she probably holds dear to her. It could have been an accident that it got out.

chico2
November 8th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Pitbulliest,I am sorry you got some negative responses,after all you rescued the kitten,he could have been thrown outside if it had not been for you.
We here do not know what goes on in your building and I for one can understand your hesitation giving him back,I would feel responsible would something happen to this kitten down the road..
I take it the kitten is now with two other cats at your boyfriends house and it would really bother me to take him away,but I suppose you have to do the right thing :sad:
Let the girl know,the kitten would have a wonderful home with your boy-friend should she run into trouble,like Mel said and Good Luck :thumbs up

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I lost my first Den-Den 37 years ago. I always suspected he was stolen by a military family in the building who was transferred and moved out the same day Den-Den disappeared. I still have tears, to this day, even now, when I think about him and don't know what happened or what kind of life he led. It's an awful experience that you never get over if you truly love your pet. I learned alot and I'm sure I became an even more responsible pet owner because of it. I'm sure I would have learned the same lesson if I had been fortunate to have gotten him back! Just telling it from the other side. :sad:

I think you should give him back, offer advice, and keep an eye on him.

heidiho
November 8th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I would let her know you have it,and tell her if she doesnt want it you ahve a great home for it.People do fight that is normal,unless the kitten looked neglected i would let her know you have it..

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM
While I have no idea of what goes on the home of the kitten owner, and am sure no one here would do it, pets are OFTEN targets in cases of domestic fights, abuse, etc. Abusing and/or killing the pet of a partner is common way to hurt that partner. Dogs have been shot, kicked, thrown down staircases and stabbed, cats and kittens thrown against walls, out windows and off balconies etc.

NOT saying that is the case here - just that it does happen with some frequency.

tyr
November 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I juist wanted to say that I think what you have done is really great. You are clearly a very caring and loving person. You said that the kitten was REALLY starving. In the girls poster did she say how long the babe had been missing? That may be why...if the kitten had been gone for a while. I mean, if it got down there without the help of others....that is a long way for a kitten to travel. That may have taken a few days, hence being so skinny.

I am undecided on this whole situation. My gut says to keep him/her because something doesn't seem right. Though, I have just heard this passed from your finger tips so it is hard to say. My heart says to give the little one back due to it being something her dead father passed on to her. This is a really tough decision and I can see why it has been so hard for you.

I noticed you first posted 2 days ago....did you make a decision? I would love to hear - you can PM me if you want:)

Love and Hugs to the little one :love:

Sneaky2006
November 9th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Someone who loves animals this much shouldn't be bashed for taking this little one in, or for even having thoughts of keeping it.
I can't tell you what to do, but you have to decide what's best for it. When you say starving, was it really starving, like deathly... or was it just really really hungry because it hadn't eaten in a day or two? If it had just been lost that day or the day before and was really skinny and sickly looking, *I* would definitely keep it. The owners fighting shouldn't be an issue though... you don't know exactly what has happened. Good luck, please let us know what you do. :)

heeler's rock!
November 10th, 2004, 08:00 PM
:o Pitbulliest, we'd like to know what happened to the little kitty....what did you decide?

Dwight Byrd
November 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Hi Pitbulliest,
I admire the way that you are concerned about the welfare of this little kitty. It was wonderful that you took the little thing into your home, and that you hoped to provide it with an opportunity to have a new home. But .... the lady who owns the kitty obviously has feelings :love: for her little ball of fluff, otherwise she would not have put up the notice. Kittens can be very sneaky and dask out of a doorway really fast. :D

As others have suggested, perhaps you can offer some feedback on how starved the little thing was. I know that if thathad happened to my cat, I would have been devestated. Mind you, I never let her outdoors.

Anyway, hope things work out when you return her. :party:

chico2
November 11th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Everyone here in this Forum are animal-lovers,we want our animals to have the best life possible.But not everyone feels that way,especially about a gift of a kitten/puppy.I'll let Pitbulliest tell you herself,about her experience.
Personally I wish she had kept it :sad:

louie's mum
November 11th, 2004, 09:56 PM
i've been struggling with this issue myself the past couple of days thinking what if a family who loved louie is pining away for him. as attached as i have become to this little guy, i took my nephew for a drive last night up and down streets in the neighbourhood my sister found him in checking for lost kitty signs along the way.
yes there were a few and my heart thumped on one but it was a white and black FEMALE that was lost and yes i am SURE this one is a boy ;)
wanted to teach my nephew a lesson in the process because we can't always keep what we find ;)
very thankful i didn't find someone looking high and low but i will have to give him back if i find the owner. it would be the right thing to do.

tyr
November 12th, 2004, 12:41 PM
I know this is a little off from what Pittbulliest is writing about. This is more towards louies mom. Most of you know I like to tell personal stories in comparison to situations in hopes that it may be helpful.

When I was in gr.8 my mum and I were on our way to see my Godmother in Manitoulin Island. It was really foggy out and we lived in a really rural area. Anyway, not far from our home, in the thick thick fog, we hit something. We heard this horrible bump under our car. I remember feeling a lump in my throat right away. I turned back as my mum stopped the car and saw this cat rolling behind our vehicle! Well, I started crying horribly - sobbing without a breath. My mum got out tearfully and told me to stay in the car. Of course I did not because I had to see for myself if he was not okay. I got out and stood next to my mum, looking down at this tiny body. He was quivering and had lost control of all his bodily functions. My mum told me that he would not make it because that is what a body does when it is dying. Well, I ran back to the car and grabbed my jacket to put the poor little guy in. My mum moved him carefully and put him at my feet in the car. We were insistant that we find a vet for this boy even though we were sure he would be gone soon. This was 6:30 am we drove around from vet office to vet office. Most places were closed or refused to take him because he was dying and "there was nothing we can do". We kept looking. Finally after almost two hours of this poor animal haging on with every breath of air he took, we found a vet who was willing to take him. Well outside our area. He said that he would take care of him best he could but there were no promises. He was sure he would die but said he would try his hardest. He said he would have to stay for the weekend if he made it. We did go to my Godmothers but cut our trip short to get there in time to see if things went okay. When we got there he was alive and well! They and we were very surprised. When they brought him out my mom paid the big vet bill and he looked lovingly at us. We brought him home and tried to decide whether we go from farm house to farm house to find the owner, or if we should keep him. We decided to keep him as we became attached to him and he was very attached to us. We knew he would live a very fulfulling life with us and that he would be safe because he would be kept indoors. We were afraid if let him go back that he would get hit once again.

Sorry for the lengthyness!!!!! I just wanted to tell a story that showed an executive decision. Some may not agree but sometimes you have to decide what you think is best by listening to your gut and your heart.

Shaykeija
November 12th, 2004, 02:41 PM
When I wrote earlier about keeping the cat, due to possible violence against it. I was speaking from experience.
When I was a child my mother was very violent. When she wanted to punish me, she would have my brother shoot my pet. Dog or cat. When I was 18 I left home forever. I just associate yelling and screaming with severe abuse.
I have not spoken or seen this nasty so called mother in over 20 years. All the pets I have now are in a forever place. My husband and I have been married for 13 years and have never had a argument or disagreement. Some people find this unusual. But I often say fights are usually over money and kids. Since we have neither and I am such an :angel: to live with. LOL
Anyway I hope Pitbulliest gets back to us soon. And yes I remember every pet that my mother got rid of. I hope to see them all again at the bridge.

louie's mum
November 14th, 2004, 10:30 PM
to tyr
i hope this is ur way of telling me to quit feeling a little guilty and just luv this little cuddle bunny up :)
i'm done looking for anyone that might claim him for their own.
he owns me now :love: BIG TIME

Bugsy
November 15th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Tyr

(((hug))) your mom for me :angel:

chico2
November 15th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Shaykeija,I am sorry you had such terrible experiences as a child and you are right,many times an animal gets abused or killed in human fights and animals are so very vulnerable,especially a puppy or kitten :sad:
Luckily I had a mom just like Tyr,we were poor but my mom always tought me to respect and love animals,as I did with my sons.
Louie's Mom,I am soo happy you decided to keep the beautiful little guy :thumbs up

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I have been pondering this thread but only now am I replying to it. (I just read an article - posted on forum re: Nova Scotia SPCA - long story short, they PTS a family pet after a neighbour who wanted to adopt it brought it in (Seems to me she may have been seeking a cheap method of having it neutered but that's just a cynical guess).

I encountered my own situation a few weeks ago when I found that lovely Ginger cat I temporarily called Garfield. The family did show up -I had contacted our SPCA, made up a few posters, all the usual things - and claimed it was their pet. I asked for confirmation and a vet reference. (He had been so hungry but that could well have been for being outside for a day or more). They had NEVER brought him to the vet - did not think they had to, sigh. (I figured that since he was never neutered). (He did have the proper vaccines as a kitten though since they adopted him from the SPCA in another community).

They did establish his identiry through pictures and references from neighbours and their daughter seemed genuinely happy to have him back and he did willingly go with them - but then so do abused children go with their parents, sigh!!

So I offered to pay for the neutering and of course they wanted the money! I stipulated they go to the vet and have the vet call me and I'd make the arrangments for payment. Of course they never did!!

But I knew I had to give him back even though I really thought he was being neglected. I do think legally, it is an area that needs to be changed. Now, not neutering a cat may not be considered neglect but it certainly is not the sign of a well educated cat person! And they were giving him the basics and I'd be hard pressed in court to prove he was severely negelcted. (Though he had been picked up by someone on Halloween).

They live in another part of the community but at the risk of sounding like Glady Kraitz on Bewitched, I have asked someone I know who lives not far from them - another family doc - to watch out for him. So far, all seems well except for their lack of keeping the vet appt.

Anyway--- that's my tale or is that tail ;) of woe for today!

What do you all think??????

louie's mum
November 15th, 2004, 12:31 PM
cyberkitty.
i've been on the phone this a.m. trying to find a vet that will give me a break on neutering (not free, but with a little help). i'm able to afford to keep louie very happy and healthy (check up, shots, regular visits to vets, food, love) but the neutering charges will be tough for me living on limited income.
i hope clinics/organizations don't feel ill will towards people like me trying to do the right thing for a found cat that could easily still be out on the streets fathering more babies.
anyone who knows of a vet that might be able to help me out in the Windsor area, please feel free to p.m. me or email.
thanks.

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Are there no fairs or times when vets and rescue groups offer to neuter cats for free in your area? (There are none here either but this seems to be a growing trend in some part of the US).

Lucky Rescue
November 15th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I certainly classify not neutering a cat as neglect and irresponsibility. Intact toms roam far and wide, impregnating females, fighting and contracting disease, and usually live not more than 5 years.:(

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
I classify it as neglect too but the laws in this province or this country do not, sigh!!

anniebananie
November 15th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I would have said irresponsible - not neglect or cruelty. One would hope that all pet owners would get their cats neutered - but not everyone does - hence we have a pet population. You don't know the reasons for people not keeping a vet's appointment - so cannot judge on those grounds. Maybe they went the following week. I do not feel that cruelty or neglect come into this. Money may be really tight for them at this moment. I do find some people over sensative on these sorts of matters. Now you can all start bashing me to kingdom come - but food on the table against a large vet's bill may be the reason. :sorry:

chico2
November 15th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Well,Cyberkitten offered to pay for it,I think it's just an"I don't care attitude"...
Neglegtful and irresponsible,since he will undoubtedly impregnate several females who's offspring will either freeze to death or end up in shelters.
Neutering/spaying cats is a very basic neccessity if you love your cats and others.He will I am sure once again be found by someone,hungry and cold,hopefully Cyberkitten is around again...

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2004, 02:07 PM
I know for a fact they did not go! The vet would have contacted me.

tyr
November 16th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words about my mum Chico:) And Bugsy, I hug this wonderful woman everytime I see her - next time I do it I will say one is from you:)

Louie's mum, it was definitely a story that was supposed to make you feel better:) The point is for a warm, fuzzy feeling and to show how sometimes we have to make decisions for the betterment of the animal even if others think it is the wrong one:) Only the person dealing with a situation first hand can follow a gut feeling of what is best.

You guys are so nice!

lilith_rizel
November 16th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know what pitbulliest has decided to do with the kitty?

sujean
November 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know what pitbulliest has decided to do with the kitty?

i sure wish we could get an update b/c the suspense is killing me!!!