Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

heart worm...too late?

mommy3
November 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Hi,
We are getting our 12 week old boxer in a week.
She will be spayed in a few days and is vaccinated up to date.
I have spoken with the breeder about heart worm pills and she said that it is not a concern where she lives and the vet doesn not suggest to put her pups on it.
Now should i be putting her on pills...or do you do this more in the summer and spring.
Am i ok if we do not do it now...since its fall and winter is right around the corner? what are the months that i should be concerned about?
Thanks

Lucky Rescue
November 7th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Where does the breeder live, and where do you live?

mommy3
November 7th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Breeder is in Thunder Bay and i am in Toronto....from what i have read i should not be doing anything in the fall or winter...right?

goldenblaze
November 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Heartworm is from June till Nov only no need to treat after that. Next year your vet will do a bloodtest before given any meds for heartworm, only because it will be the first time using it. We use Revolution it worked great does ticks, fleas, earmites and heartworm all in one.

Lucky Rescue
November 7th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Any area that has mosquitoes has heartworm. I'm very surprised at the breeder telling you not to use preventative! :eek: Does this person know what causes heartworm?

The monthly preventative is retroactive for the previous month - that is, if taken November 1st, it will kill any microfilaria that was contracted in Oct.

I use Heartguard only, since I don't want to treat my dog for ticks, fleas etc if she doesn't have any. The fewer chemicals the better.

goldenblaze
November 7th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Revolution does work for other things like fleas and ticks, I use it because then there is no need to worry about getting them we have sand around. Why wait and treat if needed, fewer chemicals the better I agree. But again if you use all in one your dealing with it all at once instead of using other forms of chemicals to treat fleas later on. My opinion only :)

moontamara
November 16th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Okay, but if I'm still seeing the occasional mosquito in November, does that mean I should give Casey his final heartguard in December? The mosquito season is a bit different in Korea -- starts late and ends late. And as for starting again, should I start a month after I see the first mosquito? The vet clinic here just says give them every month, but I'm not 100% sure they're right about that and I don't need the expense of the extra chemicals if it isn't necessary!

THANK YOU!

pitbulliest
November 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM
I think the vet was right in telling you that if you don't have alot of mosquitos there, then there's no need for heartworm. I don't give my dogs heartworm medication...and they are fine (thank you Lord)... what most people don't know is that heart worm medication actually shortens your dogs life. If I find the article I was reading about it I'll make sure to post it here..but I do remember reading that its a very strong chemical and its really not good for dogs, also greatly increases the risk of cancer for any breed..some dogs have gotten severe reactions to it as well and have died...so yeah, I'm not one for forcing chemical's down my dog's throat unless I really have to...that goes for yearly shots...I think once every three years is more than enough..and rabie shots aren't even necessary unless you live in an area with wild animals. If you live in the city and your dog is with you all the time, that's just silly in my opinion. Its like doing chemotherapy when you don't even have cancer :eek:

here, there haven't been ANY mosquitos for the summer and I spray dog mosquito repellent on both my poochies when I take them out JUST in case one decides to show up... I mean be reasonable, if you live in an area where there aren't alot of mosquito's at all, what's the point? Its not GOOD for your dog so try to avoid it. I spoke to my vet and she told me that the last time there was a case of heartworm in a dog that came into the clinic was three years ago..and she hasn't seen one since.

Sorry to be so rough about this issue, but I've just met so many vets that force meds and shots onto people's pets because they make money off of them. I just think its surprising but nice to see a vet that's somewhat more honest. Ok I'm done. :love:

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2004, 02:10 PM
If you live in an area where there are NO mosquitoes then I agree prevention is not needed.

But if there are mosquitoes in your area, you must guarantee your dog is never bitten by one.

I agree I don't like giving pesticides to my dog, but if you have ever had a dog who had to undergo treatment for heartworms - great suffering for the dog and BIG expense for you - you would do anything to make sure it never happens again.:(

In this case, an ounce of preventions really IS worth a pound of cure.

pitbulliest
November 19th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Well we still have mosquitos here..but like I said ...this year its been great...and there are some really good repellents for dogs out there that I do suggest for people...I mean instead of using heartworm meds in the fall like some people do, replace that month with repellent if you really HAVE to use the meds during the year.

I have never gone through the treatment..again thank God..and it must be incredibly difficult...I've just had some bad experiences with vets and "meds"...but I mean if Toronto all of a sudden became swarmed with mosquitos next year, I probably would start to get a little bit nervous and put my dogs on heartworm prevention...I just hope it doesn't come to that.

mommy3
November 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Our baby has been delayed for 2 days...she is arriving this sunday..instead of today.
I did want to mention that my breeder also strongly feels agains all the vaccinations and over medicating our dogs.
She only does one set of vaccines...full set plus rabies at 12 weeks of age...she also gets all her pups spayed and nuetered.
She does not do the heart pills. I am going to speak to my vet and to be honest i will not be surprised if he sees things differently.
In the end it is my choice.
I do have another question...how about preventitive stuff for fleas...should i be considered about that?

Lucky Rescue
November 19th, 2004, 10:02 PM
how about preventitive stuff for fleas...should i be considered about that?

This is just me, but I never use preventative for fleas, if there are none around.

I haven't seen fleas here in years now, and do not use anything unless I actually see them. I don't like treating an animal for something it doesn't have.

doggy lover
November 19th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I have always given my dogs heartworm pills, and yes Border collies can have sevear reactions to certain drugs including some heartworm medication, I emagine there are other breeds with these problems too. Its better to be safe than sorry. My last dog I gave pills with flea medication because in southern Ontario we have alot of problems with fleas and he was allergic to them, and it would cause a lot of skin problems with him.