Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mold

lilith_rizel
November 6th, 2004, 09:02 PM
We have mold in our bathroom, and I have been coughing quite a bit since we have moved in. Could the mold be causing me to get sick. And being that I am expecting, should we ask to be moved into a different house? We have heard that black mold is toxic.

Thanks for any help.

raingirl
November 6th, 2004, 10:50 PM
From what I understand is that there are many types of mold, but only a few are toxic.

We have a local "Safety superstore" which deals in baby-proofing and stuff like that. I went with my sister once because we were looking for anchers for some tall bookshelves. I saw in one of the isles all these tests kits. One was for mold. (that reminds me, I need to get a water testing kit because our water is leaving rusty brown marks everywhere and it kinda smells funny...very metallic, almost smells a little like CLR cleaner...)

See if you can get it tested first. i think you buy the test kit, take a sample, and send it away to a lab with a fee, and they mail you the results.

Here is an interesting site on black mold:

http://arar.essortment.com/whatisblackmo_rfls.htm

lilith_rizel
November 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Our housing company is supposed to come out and test mold, if we request it. We are going to ask them to this week. We are just wondering, if it is something that we should request a new home for. Our house is the only house here, that is in such poor condition. The walls and ceilings are cracking. And some parts of the ceilings are starting to bubble and look like it might cave in within time. We want to find a lagitament reason for them to HAVE to give us a different house. We don't think that this house is fit to raise a child.

squarejane
November 8th, 2004, 01:59 AM
many molds can cause respiratory problems... especially for young children... in the interim while you are waiting for tests, i would definately reccomend you getting some bleach and water in a spray bottle and spraying any areas... well, get hubby to spray, you don't need those fumes either!

good luck!

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 07:46 AM
I would definately request a new house then.

I was reading more on black mold. If it has gotten to the point where you can see it, that means it has come through the walls and it's 100's times worse behind the walls.

lilith_rizel
November 8th, 2004, 08:18 AM
thanks, for the info

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I am no expert but I do know that black mold is supposedly the worst as far as health concerns go....also very difficyult to fully rid your home of it if at all .....I would request a move if it is a possibility for the safety of your baby and present household members. We had it in our old house and I could wash it away only to return again it never dies your bathroom would have to be gutted to rid of it and who is to say it hasnt spread to other parts :(

Better safe than sorry :thumbs up