Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Carnival English style

Stewart
November 6th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Hey all ! :) Just thought I would share a little of our annual Carnival with you.Every year on the nearest Friday to the 5th of Nov we hold a carnival in our town and then for the next two weeks it moves around various towns in our County,The processions are in the evening and it takes 2hrs for the thing to go by its a free show but collections are made while the show is going on and all monies collected are distrubuted to local charities.Why the 5th of Nov?Well over here in 1605 a man named Guy Fawkes a catholic attempted to blow up King James as he opend Parliament,Well he and his conspiritors were caught before they could succeed and they were tortured and horribly put to death.This date is celebrated all over England by burning effigy's of Guy Fawkes on huge bonfires on the evening of Nov 5th and fireworks are also set off.Any way thats enough of the history lesson lol ! ;) Look at the pictures attached and enjoy these large floats that various Carnival Clubs build of thier ideas on various themes,They take many months to build and very proffesionally built with very high standards of engineering required,These clubs are not proffessionally run they are all voulenteers who spend a considerable ammount of thier own cash and efforts on this its thier hobby all for a two week run of parades after which these floats are dissmantled and then early the following year they start all over again on a new idea for the Nov comming :) The pictures attached are not mine they are from this years program and are from last years carnival,This years carnival was last night and there were 150 entries :thumbs up we believe this to be the biggest and best free show in Europe :crazy:

Iggette
November 6th, 2004, 07:13 AM
wow looks awesome stewert.....I love the idea of collecting and giving to local charities...Do they do a tally at the end to let the townspeople know how they did? How do they chose the charities?.....Great history story as well :thumbs up

Stewart
November 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM
wow looks awesome stewert.....I love the idea of collecting and giving to local charities...Do they do a tally at the end to let the townspeople know how they did? How do they chose the charities?.....Great history story as well :thumbs up
Oh yes all monies collected are counted and a commitee of carnival members decide how and who the monies are distrubuted to each year ;) Last years collection raised 28000 which is nice but considering the carnival attracts a crowd of roughly 150,000 its not as good as could be and a lot of people come to the town to watch from far away places on coaches so lets hope they dig deeper in thier pockets this year ;) By the way one method of collection is by haveing a open back truck with a high board along the middle on to which people can throw coins and they fall into the bottom of the bed which is slopeing down into a collection chamber ;) Its a fun way of giving :crazy: