Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Non-pet related "pet" peeves

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I'll start the ball rolling:

I hate it when:
- People don't give a "thank-you" wave when you clearly let them cut in front of you in traffic.
- Tail-gaters (hope their insurance is paid up so when I slam on my brakes.... :evil: )
- People who drive with their fog lights on when theres NO FOG!

sammiec
November 5th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Lemme guess, you were just out driving? http://www.simplymoms.com/forum/images/smilies/lalatu.gif

I do ALL of that!!!

Writing4Fun
November 5th, 2004, 04:20 PM
I used to carpool with a girl who drove with her high-beams on all the time because one of her regular headlights was burnt out and she didn't want a ticket. When we told her it was annoying the people in front of her, her reply was, "Well, they can just tilt their rearview mirror up, and then they won't be bothered anymore!". :rolleyes:

Jackie467
November 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM
people who pass you and then preceed go 5 under the speed limit. WHY DID YOU PASS ME IF YOUR GOING TO GO SLOW?

people who park on the side of the street right where you have to turn while their drive way is wide open, or another spot on the street is open not next to where you have to turn, so you have to turn from the other lane and hope you don't get hit.

when people let their kids throw tantrums and scream in resturants and don't do anything about it. And when people take their small children to really fancy resturants, like ones that require a jacket and tie. NOT A PLACE FOR SMALL CHILDREN!

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Lemme guess, you were just out driving? http://www.simplymoms.com/forum/images/smilies/lalatu.gif

I do ALL of that!!!

:eek: :eek:
YOU!!!!
:eek: :eek:
You're the type of person I have "rage" about!
:sorry: but I must hunt you down now and make my dog attack you (and slobber on you while she kisses you)

sammiec
November 5th, 2004, 04:27 PM
http://www.simplymoms.com/forum/images/smilies/cryhug.gif

I was just joking - kinda. I only do it when people are driving 90km/h in the fast lane talking on their phone... :rolleyes:

I get so mad when CUSTOMER SERVICE people are RUDE for no reason!! http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb097.gif You don't like it - go work in a different industry

mastifflover
November 5th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Oh Jackie you hit the nail on the head people who cannot and will not control their kids in public places. Especially nice restaurants. I expect it in family restaurants but not when we are spending a 150.00 on dinner. My ex actually made me get up in the middle of a meal a leave a dinner because of that exact reason. He also left the waiter a tip and told the maitre d he would not be paying to listen to someones kid cry and wander around. I won't even go near drivers cause I am a bit of an aggressive driver

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Because of the work I do, I'm a bit of an expert when it comes to certain things a computer can do. I hate it when I'm talking to one of our employees on the phone and they act like they know more than I do.

Or, you get asked at 3:55pm, to do something that'll take you a half hour to do....when you're only supposed to work until 4! Meanwhile they knew mid-morning they needed it done!!! :evil: :evil:

chico2
November 5th, 2004, 05:02 PM
One thing about being 60 yrs old,I have no qualms about asking a rude person what his/her problem is :D
About cell-phones,they are a new world pariah....in restaurants,in cars,movie-theaters..I don't understand what people have to say that is so important,it cannot wait until they are in a private place.
I have a cell-phone too,but it's only used in emergencies and never while I drive...
Another pet-peeve I have are all these kids in these little zooped-up killing-machine Hondas,5 or 6 kids in a little noisy tin-can,weaving in and out of traffic,a recipe for disaster :mad:

Karin
November 5th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I despise people who flush while talking on the phone.

I automatically hang up on these toilet huggin' gabby fart releasing flushing idiots...even if it is the boss....give me a break! Flush after you hang up!
*gags*

crazyhorse
November 5th, 2004, 10:38 PM
My pet peeve....The very helpful sales people who jump all over you as soon as you walk into the store. You know the ones that ask you what your looking for as soon as you walk into a clothing store....I'm looking for a stapler. Why else would I be here? Of course they follow you around very closely. Then when you decied to purchase a sweater, they sugest a t-shirt instead. I have a t-shirt on, If you can not tell, I am cold that is why I'm buying the sweater.

Karin
November 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
My pet peeve....The very helpful sales people who jump all over you as soon as you walk into the store. You know the ones that ask you what your looking for as soon as you walk into a clothing store....I'm looking for a stapler. Why else would I be here? Of course they follow you around very closely. Then when you decied to purchase a sweater, they sugest a t-shirt instead. I have a t-shirt on, If you can not tell, I am cold that is why I'm buying the sweater.

Vultures...and I feel like their next dinner. I hate shopping.

Bugsy
November 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Mine is..

When someone uses "ignorance" by choice as a means of getting away with something. Easily spotted..for if they are called on it, it will usually be followed with aggressive stupidity.

Iggette
November 6th, 2004, 07:59 AM
When hubby's dog poops in the kitchen :sick: .....he then covers it with a newspaper :eek: (like the poop fairy will somehow miraculously take it away).

Then says to me when I get home...."There is a surprise for you in the kitchen" :evil:

Bearsmom
November 7th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Fast lane drivers who mosey along below the speed limit, or driving exactly the same speed as the person beside them.

Dog doodles on my front lawn. Pick 'em up, folks.

Rudeness.

People who ask what my job is, then say, "but you're a woman, aren't you SCARED?" Um, no.

hounds003
November 8th, 2004, 12:02 AM
When hubby's dog poops in the kitchen :sick: .....he then covers it with a newspaper :eek: (like the poop fairy will somehow miraculously take it away).

Then says to me when I get home...."There is a surprise for you in the kitchen" :evil:

Now there's the kicker!LOL Too funny!

Sneaky2006
November 8th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Oooohhh I have one! Talking about phones made me think of this.
Don't you hate it when you get a phone call and the first thing the person on the other end says "who's this?" Uhhh, you called me! Don't ask me who this is, try saying hello!

Also (actually I could have a list of pet peeves) when you get a telemarketing call.. usually at dinner time. I was told you're supposed to ask them for their home number and what time they eat, so you can call them back.

One more. My phone number is one digit different than a local mortgage company and I swear no one knows how to dial a phone. I get at least 3 calls a day for wells fargo mortgage company, and even more on monday mornings.
They call and ask for a certain extension... I've gotten to the point where I just say "please hold" and hang up.

I could go on, but it's makin me stressed!!! :rolleyes:

DogueLover
November 8th, 2004, 12:38 AM
I think I would be more peeved over the what they were doing on the phone talking to me BEFORE they flushed..... I mean OMG let the damn thing ring and I`ll leave you a message to call me back when you are done doing whatever you are in the middle of that`s what leaving messages is all about !!!
It`s just funny how some people don`t consider anything rude or inappropriate these days.
What`s next??? Wait please don`t answer that :eek:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 8th, 2004, 01:46 AM
-Morons in general

-People who say "brb" (be right back) on insant messangers and are away for hours

-Spam, and its snail-mail counterpart, junkmail.

squarejane
November 8th, 2004, 02:48 AM
oh the wrong number thing drives me nuts too. i used to have a phone number that was one digit off from the non-essential police number... and we would get calls at least 2 a week... middle of the night, about parties that were too loud or other people's dogs barking. that same number used to get multiple wrong number calls each week as well with people asking for different names... so obviously many many other people had experienced this problem with the number too... so why did the phone company keep giving it to new customers? :rolleyes:

i also like the people who call you and then get angry with you because they got the wrong number -- or won't believe you they have the wrong number!

i think kids are cool in ANY restauraunt... as long as they know how to behave there and their parents aren't clueless. nobody enjoys the sound of a screaming kid and nobody appreciates you're "cute kid" running around a high-end restauraunt... bravo to chico2. i think we all need to be in the practice of calling people on their rude behaviour... since when did it become acceptable to be rude?

my last one is people with cell phones in a movie theatre or business meeting. that shouldn't even have to be explained to you!

:D okay, i'm calmer now.

Stewart
November 8th, 2004, 08:33 AM
The driving ones I can identify with I wholeheartedly agree with ;) And my most hated is people who drive onto a roudabout with no indication leaving you waiting for them to pass and they turn left :mad: Dont know if you folks have roundabouts :confused: They are self policeing road junctions that work fine without the need for lights if people follow the rules the traffic can flow freely ;) Also my two others are people who let thier dogs fowl public places (I always clear mine though its a rare happening i'm spoilt good dog )because responsible dog oweners get funny looks when thier pride and joy are sniffing also folk who spit chewing gum out so anyone can step on it :mad: Wow I feel better now ! :)

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
my biggest pet peeve is people who beleive insurance companies make money and that we are all crooks, and that we have to deny 50% of claims!!

(last year most insurance companies ran at a loss (auto, comercial, home insurance in ontario)..except health insurance, but unfortunately when they release the "profits" for insurance, it is for all canada and includes all insurance, so people think we made a profit. Right now, even though auto insurance rates have been lowered, which the government forced us to do, we are now running at a huge loss and will have to raise rates even more next year. Stupid liberals tell us you have to file new rates that are 10% lower in January, and make it effective April, to make them look good!)

(THere are no rules to deny claims, like quotas, it's all a myth. I have only denied one claim in 2 years, because it didn't qualify as an auto accident!)

For the kids thing, I have to disagree. If the kids are well behaved fine, but if a kid has a tantrum, I would rather him embarrass himself, then try and control him. I hate it when I see parents give in to the kids to make them shut up so they don't get embarrased. Most kids are having tantrums for attention, or for not getting what they want. I think if you let the kid have the tantrum, and he/she doesn't get what she wants out of it, they learn that tantrums don't get them anything. I worked at the ROM for a couple of years, and I admire this one woman who let her kid have a 45 minute tantrum. She put him to one corner, and let him scream and scream. It was a quiet day so no other people really around. We ended up having a nice coversation while he screamed away. The kid realised at the end, when he came over to apologize, that people were laughing at him. I don't think he will ever do that again! It's bad parents that are my pet peeve! Parents that don't follow through (like my parents). My parents had no control over my sisters and...well..I won't go into their problems, but lets just say the parenting was the cause. The only time my parents followed through on something is when we kicked my 16 year old sister out of the house for assaulting me (instead of the police charging her). Best thing we could ever have done! SHe learned a big lesson. She went from failing student to a honours student.

I have lots of other pet peeves, but can't think of them now.

Oh, I hate it when people don't use lane change signals. And I hate speeders. (some people I'm sure hate me, but I usually only drive the speed limit dead on).

Sunkist/Winnie
November 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM
- people who speed up when you try and pass them, only to slow down when you pull back in behind them
- people who spit on sidewalks - YUCK!
- people who talk on their cell phones while the cashier is waiting to ring them in (I think cell phones are miss-used in general, but this one really gets to me)

GsdDiamond
November 8th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I experienced one of my Pet Peeves just yesterday. While at the Pet Traders, a lady brought her 3 children in with her. While she's talking with the sales clerk about fish supplies, her youngest is running around making the most God awful screeching sounds. And I'm not talking quietly either....LOUD screeching. It got to the point where I went up to the lady and said "would you go control your SCREECHING child!!!!!?!!!!" The clerks all looked happy and eventually the child was quiet. I mean really! If you can't keep your kids well behaved, then leave them at home!

More Peeves....
-Telemarketers that use computers to dial the phone numbers. The telltale 2-3 second delay when you say "hello". If you don't respond, I hang up.
-Solicitors that come to the door and knock/use the doorbell when I clearly have a sign that says No Solicitors! (in neon green no less!) Of course, having a large GSD greet them at the door, barking her fool head off, hackles raised (but tail wagging) usually makes it a very brief conversation. :D

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 11:09 AM
im with stewart on indication on a roundabout but there arent any here so thats ok and i hate cold calls and sales people that pounce on you.

i disagree with the children thing i would never take my children to a posh restaurant but to a family one i would. If they have a tantrum in the shopping mall then i leave them to have it. I remeber my eldest throwing himself on the floor and screaming and i just left him to sort himself out much to the disgust of everyone else. Kids need to learn there lesson and as a parent you have got to punish them appropriately weather inside or out.

Jackie467
November 8th, 2004, 03:51 PM
I have to disagree about the tantrum thing. I mean i was never permitted to throw a tantrum and i certainly didn't get what i wanted either. I was drug out of the store kicking a screaming and was told to be quiet, if i wasn't by three i had my butt paddled, not hard but enough to shut me up. i only had my butt paddled by my mother once and after that i always shut up before she got to three. if i wasn't quiet then my mom would drop everything take me home and make me sit in the corner unitl i was quiet and she would sit right there with me reading a book so she knew i didn't sneak off. My mother would never tolorate such things. I remember my grandmother was even worst, one day in church i was crying for some reason i can't even remember now but i do remember her getting up in the middle of the sermon taking me out back smacking my butt and then making me sit through three weekday sermons that week as punishment, when your 8 yrs old and want to be palying on the summer vaca. that's pretty crule. needless to say i never ever said a word in church again.

jackieb
November 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
If my child is having a tantrum im not going to give him the attention which he is craving as this is why he is having a tantrum in the first place!!! So i have found ignoring it helps and yes i have dragged them out of shops and smacked them too.

Children will be children

melanie
November 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM
sneaky, you said 'wells fargo' morgatge comp, that is soooo strange. as you know my married name is Farago, my fathers favourite joke about my new name is about wells fargo, that is really funny, stupid father and stupid jokes that mena nothing except a bit of surprise when the words are metnioned, duh dad really big duh :rolleyes: now that is odd.

i really get pevved when i am trying to do my business in a public toilet say at a restaurant and the person in the next cubicle is chatting away, i find it very distracting and annoying.

and worst of all, people who drive at 70km on a country road that is marked as 100km and has very few overtaking areas, god it just kills me not to mention it is extrememly dangerous, it is often more dangerous to drive dangerously below the speed that it is to do 10km over the speed, ahhhhhhh i think ppl shoud get a ticket for driving too slow, if you have no confidence on the road to drive the normal speed i doubt they should actually be on the road, far too dangerous.

oh and people who cannot drive through corners properly and have to slow down to 20km on a 80km corner, dont they understand the concept of keeping ones revs up through the corners for a faster more effecient exit, gosh they are killing this little provisional (green P's nearly finished and full lience) driver..

and the biggie, places that ban brest feeding, it kills me, dont those ppl realise they were once brest fed, dont they realise your just providing a meal and nothing else and that the poor kids have to eat?? i hate it in the city, breast feeding is banned in all restaurants and in some malls. its just ridiculous, you see all these poor woman trying to h8ide themselves and feeding their kids in toilets, its grose poor buggers. i dont mind so much that some place wnat to be kid free, if they want to be sad buggers let em, but i find the signs on the door very offensive, over here they have a babies face with a big red line through it like a no smoking sign, i think that is rude and very discriminatory, i dont see how it can b e legal though, simply becuase a child is a minature human who has rights nad is supposed to be allowed anywhere, i dont see how a grown man is any different to a child, one is just alot bigger than the other, neither is more imporatant to the other..

and last of all, those ppl that were never children and have never seen or had contact with a child and find the concept fo changing a nappyu so darn offensive, they act as if you have insulted their moral fibre, i changed my neice recently in a public area, well im not taking her to a dark dirty toilet and would prefer to do it in her stroller in the park, well anyone would have thought i was waving a gun around, the sheer disgust, the looks i got, not that i owuld notice, i even had one man say something recently, like i told him 'what are you going to do about it, stop me? yeah go on ' (that comment is accompanied by my bigeest cheekiest smartest grin). another person got a 'oi, wat are you lookin at stare bear' with a one finger salute :angel: :angel: :D

expression is a gift form the gods i tell ya :D

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
I remember being fascinated in church as my mom sat by me and did my nails. She would use a little file and smooth the edges. Then I got pink nail polish. I would sit really quiet and then carefully wait for them to dry. I'm sure the smell of the polish may have bothered some, but we always sat at the back.
When my younger brother sat in the highchair in a nice restaurant and started to fuss, she asked for lemon slices. He immediately stopped fussing and amused himself tasting the lemon and making a face, tasting the lemon, tasting. Smart mom.
Why do people raise their voices on a cell phone in public? The whole room hears the whole conversation.
I hate to get behind someone on the freeway who is driving with speed control. They inevitably cruise along beside someone else doing the same thing in the other lane and you just can't get past them.
This is fun!

sujean
November 8th, 2004, 11:43 PM
going for drinks or dinner with the friends that insist that there should only be one bill and don't put in nearly enough for their portion much less the tip!! and the excuse is that there is no way their portion of the bill could possibly be that high!

Sneaky2006
November 9th, 2004, 02:31 AM
sneaky, you said 'wells fargo' morgatge comp, that is soooo strange. as you know my married name is Farago, my fathers favourite joke about my new name is about wells fargo, that is really funny, stupid father and stupid jokes that mena nothing except a bit of surprise when the words are metnioned, duh dad really big duh now that is odd. Well, next time I get a call for wells fargo, I will tell them their number has changed and give them your number! lol :D

sujean
November 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Well, next time I get a call for wells fargo, I will tell them their number has changed and give them your number! lol :D

this is always a good number to give...

also to a good number to give to those creeps in the clubs and bars...

407-338-0036 (this is a orlando, fl phone number for those that need to worry about calling "out of the country")

squarejane
November 9th, 2004, 02:08 PM
banned breastfeeding in public??? that is an outrage! how dare they? would you want to eat your dinner in the loo? gugh! that is a huge pet peeve of mine. people who don't respect children's rights.

a screaming child grates on everyone but each and every one of us had a moment like that at one time and we have to think about that when we run into a temper tantrum throwing toddler... as long as it's not in church or a movie or fancy restauraunt. interesting points brought up there that sometimes when people hear a child fussing and the parents don't seem to be doing anything, they may actually be trying to teach the child not to do that in the future. at the same time though i think it has to be within reason... others don't need to listen to it endlessly. my daughter has a 123 count too and if that doesn't work then, WE LEAVE. i don't spank but i do discipline.

lilith_rizel
November 9th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Kids I don't know playing in my yard, not to mention, they are too young to be outside without their parents!

Other people inviting themselves to my house for supper, and then they don't watch their children while they are there, because they have had to chase after them all day.

So basically irresponsible parents!

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Driving in the mall or grocery store parking lot behind someone who is puttin along trying to find that close spot,I HATE LAZY PEOPLE,park your car and walk it is good for u.,....

Sunkist/Winnie
November 9th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Co-workers who claim to be too busy to help...but 10 minutes after they've made this claim they're either gabbing to another employee or on a loooong personal phone call.

This is a great thread!!!!

Copper'sMom
November 9th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Bad drivers and bad parents!!!

lilith_rizel
November 9th, 2004, 02:28 PM
What about those people who park and wait, right in the middle of the driving area, just for a parking space to open up!!!

heidiho
November 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
I know i hate it............I just despise lazy people.......That is to funny,i know what you are saying......

melanie
November 9th, 2004, 04:17 PM
i feel sorry for the mums here. there were so many complaints about ppl taking younger babies into childrens movies so their other children could see it, that they have banned that too. well here they have anyway. but recently they have started screening sessions just for mums with kids and bubs, and if you baby is having a bad time, they have installed a room with a big window right near the seats so the mum can pop in there an quiet baby down, either leave the kids wiatching and keep an eye on them or take them in the room with you and they can still hear it and watch. i think that is the only concession i know of to accomodate all the mums out there.

and if im in a fancy restaurant with a kid that is noisy, tough, im paying full price like everyone else, and hey i may not like a particular persons laugh, but i cnat get them kicked out. perhaps we should just have places where no one is allowed to speak, express or even move. that might just keep the city slickers and beautiful people happy, if the rest of us just shut up and be quiet for them and dont insult their existance with the presence of our smelling, uncontrolled noisy kids :p :p

and of course any request to remove noisy children or any request at all involving the kids behaviour (which would be unfounded as the children are kept very much in line when we are out) and they get the old
'what ya gunna do bout it, comon then, make me'
that is so my favourite, ppl tend to leave you alone after such a comment :D :D :D :angel:

lilith_rizel
November 9th, 2004, 04:27 PM
What really made me mad was when one of our kinda friends brought her 1 year old son with her when she went to see the "Saw" about a week ago. And she had him facing the screen so he could watch!!!! If any of you have seen the previews, you know it is gory and full of murders and violence. I couldn't believe that a mother would do that. We heard Joseph (the baby) cry multiple times, and could tell that the movie was scaring him. Not to mention, the movie theater has a room where you can sign your child in and out, and they can play there, for only $4.00 a movie!!! The child center it totally secure. You have to show ID when bringing in your child and picking up your child. She is the same mother that invites herself to our house for supper, and expects us to watch Joseph the entire time that they are there! She is so irresponsible.

Sneaky2006
November 9th, 2004, 09:52 PM
I agree about the kids in fancy restaurants and movies... it is fine to take your kids anywhere you go, but if they are tantrum throwers, you need to do the courteous thing and remove them and calm them down, without making a scene. My nephew can throw a darn good tantrum and a lot of the time he does it when my sister does not want him to, it's like he knows she's waiting for it to happen. When she knows he's about to start, she'll take him to the bathroom where ever they are and give him a good talkin to... She always makes it known to him that their bathrooms have corners (for him to stand in).
Another thing I can't stand is... when driving, seeing small kids (like 4-5 yrs) out alone (in the city, major traffic). It is truly disgusting to me, with how bad the neighborhoods are around here, anything can happen.

BTW lilith... how was the movie... I wanted to see it.

Writing4Fun
November 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Oh! What I find really annoying is people who drive with their young children clearly not buckled in or riding in the front seat of a newer car!

Sneaky2006
November 9th, 2004, 10:29 PM
Yes W4F! I can't stand when kids aren't buckled in! Especially in OUR car! So many people have tried that with me... no way! I say if you don't have a car seat for your kid, you can't ride with us.
Here you have to be 9 or older to ride without a carseat, now while I think that is a bit old, I still abide by it, they obviously have their reasons for such laws.

squarejane
November 10th, 2004, 01:16 AM
oh lilith that is HORRIBLE! i thought it was bad enough to see a 1 yr old at the x-men when it came out as it's way too dark and loud and threatening feeling for such a little one but at SAW?!?! that's almost child abuse. not to mention highly irritating to all of those around who are worried for the tyke while he's crying. sounds like your "friend" is one of those 'i don't want my child to change my life' kind of person --read SELFISH--

i had a client once BRAG to me that he and his wife take their baby everywhere. why, they even take her to parties and his poker night. smoking around kids esp babies is just nasty. what the HECK were they thinking???

and yes, kids unrestrained in a vehicle is nasty too. not only are they put at great risk themselves, but just as an unrestrained pet would, a child will become a projectile that may kill another passenger as well in the event of a high-speed collision.

woah i had no idea i had so much anger in me to protect the wee folk! maybe because i'm 4'11'' ? :p

squarejane
November 10th, 2004, 01:20 AM
oh, and another totally not child related pet peeve...

14 yr old boys wearing their pants below their butts. :rolleyes:

14 yr old girls wearing a belt as a skirt :eek:

ANYONE wearing pants cut SO low that you can tell what kind of waxing they had done, esp. when the pants are white and their hot pink thong is clearly visible... :sick: can you tell i live near robson st in vancouver?

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
James and I already laid down the rules for scary movies i.e. scream, ect. James said that our children have to be ATLEAST 10, maybe older, depending on how scared they get from normal things. So really it is when they are ready to watch one. And definately nothing that is like the saw and other crap like that. Just the mildly scary ones. But 1 year old, you've got to be kidding! I think that she had Joseph, just so the army would give here a house. She's not married, and she said the only thing men are good for are making children.

Heather MH
November 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Ok this thread is fun !!!

My biggest pet peave is ppl who don't accept responsiblility for their actions. Everyone makes mistakes, it is how it is handled that really matters right? Don't take as much effort to complie a runaround story about how it just couldn't have been you who made the mistake as it would take to fix it. Just appoligize for the error, no one is perfect and fix it.

Drivers oh boy I could go on and on, but I think most of them have been covered. :crazy:

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 10:44 AM
and if im in a fancy restaurant with a kid that is noisy, tough, im paying full price like everyone else, and hey i may not like a particular persons laugh, but i cnat get them kicked out. perhaps we should just have places where no one is allowed to speak, express or even move. that might just keep the city slickers and beautiful people happy, if the rest of us just shut up and be quiet for them and dont insult their existance with the presence of our smelling, uncontrolled noisy kids :p :p

Oh Melanie, I don't think most people here are talking about crying or fussy. When I mentioned the screeching youngster, I meant SCREECHING, not crying or just being fussy. The mom didn't give two hoots and continued talking to the clerk, who was obviously distressed with the child, who was on the other side of the store.

I have no problems with crying babies, or fussy babies, as most parents will try to calm the child or give them something to take their minds off crying. This woman did nothing until I mentioned her uncontrolled child in a tone that definately made you know I was annoyed. I know it wasn't the child's fault, because it didn't know any better. But the mother should have collected the child and kept it with her. Not terrorizing the kittens in the store, making my eardrums bleed and generally annoying the staff, who couldn't say anything or lose a sale.

That's the kind of child I'm talking about.

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Spyware! :mad: I hate spyware! :mad: I hate people who download garbage from the Internet the spyware comes with! :mad:
(in case you couldn't tell, I work on computers for a living)

lilith_rizel
November 10th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Who doesn't hate spyware! It is a pain in the butt.

I was going to college to get a major in Virtual Reality the summer of 2003. But I couldn't stand the 12 hour school days, and then having to help my mom with her business. It was just too tiring. Plus, it would have been a waste. I have now decided that what I really want to do is child care. I wouldn't have been able to stay home with Judith after she is born if I stayed in V.R. And the fact that just taking child care courses are helpful even if your aren't going to run a center is a big plus.
I still do plan on taking some computer classes though. I love working on computers, just not for a living!

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 02:18 PM
YES! Spyware and pop-ups! Yeah, *we have installed a pop-up software on your computer to only pop up ads that are of your interest* Gee, thanks.
Thank god for adaware!!!! If anyone doesn't have it, you should definitely download it and scan your computer!!! It's free. :D
http://www.lavasoft.de/
It gets rid of all the crap!

GsdDiamond
November 10th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Are you kidding me? You ONLY use AdAware? I use: PestPatrol, AdAware, Spybot, BHO Demon, Hijack This and various other methods, including editing the registry.

Spyware writers should be shot! If I want it on MY computer, I'LL put it on MYSELF! Otherwise, hands off! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Sneaky2006
November 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM
It's the one I like the most... I have spybot and one other one... I'll look into the others too! I like spybots name... search and DESTROY!! :D
Thanks!
I totally agree...Spyware writers should be shot! If I want it on MY computer, I'LL put it on MYSELF! Otherwise, hands off!

melanie
November 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
your kidding you dont have laws about seatbelts in your countires?? over here it has been law since i was small and i truly feel unsafe even backing my car into the garage without a seatbelt, and they have huge ad campaigns for it 'click clack, front and back' my mum used to say that every time we got in the car as kids. the police even do traps where they stand on the street in plain cloths ,watch ppl driving past, if your not got a seat belt on or talking on your mobile - bang- the cop car comes out of hiding and they get you. i have never met anyone who travels without a seat belt, and no one has ever asked to carry a kid in the car without a seat, but i have a spare toddler one and you can hire the baby seats and capsules at the local tourist information centre.

i also ring the police when ever i see anyone driving when talking on mobile phone (as do lots of ppl i know), i have never seen kids unstrapped in a car, the law is really tough. i have even chased cars with mobile phone users driving and banged on the car to get their attention and scream to get of the phone i will cause a huge scene. 5yrs ago a friend of mine was riding a bike in the dark, a person in a 4WD on their mobile phone hit him and now he is near vegetable state, he was normal before. i will chase a person on mobile and even take it of them and break it if i have to, i would rather make them real angry and get in a fisty cuffs then see someones kid get their brains squished, plain and simple. a friend once used a mobile while i was in the car, i demanded the car stop got out, and called another for a lift, i wont even be in the presence of such ppl, i will not watch that.

yes here babies and small children are banned from many restaurants, big no children signs on the doors, well they are the city slickers and beautiful ppl i mentioned, how can any one do such a thing.

a friend of mine let her 5yo sit thourgh lord of the rings on big screen, that i thought was just the stupidest thing she ever did, lucky henna the girl was not interested in the movie and took hardly any notice. but there are so many childrens titled movies that are not for kids and its hard to tell, take spiderman. my nephew wanted to watch it as i had yes taken him to a party, (the kids have their own space and we dont smoke and drink in their faces) well i thought it was a kids movie, i went in to check on him about 5 mins later and near died at what was on the tv, spiderman was horrific and really graphic and scary. poor kid, even the other mums thought it was a kids movie. these days you literally have to watch it all first, boy thats time consuming.

hey square jane, you mean that is an international fashion, i just thought it was a lot of really sad lost aussie girls that showed us all the colors of their thong and showed private parts due to the height of the pants. what erks me is where are the woman in these girls lives, teaching them how to dress to flatter them selves, those poor girls wear pants to tight for their size and it is really unflattering, i always get sad when i see those girls, i always wonder where are the woman in their lives, my sister would never have let me do that, btu then perhaps i ws just lucky.. but it is a bad look if you ask me, and they have just started making thongs here with dimonties on the back so you can show them off, when i saw the add i thought it was a joke, but no, so now i have it on my fridge :D

Sorry bout typing being bad ppl, have cut all my fingers and have them wrapped in band aids so typing is real hard. lol

Writing4Fun
November 10th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Sure, Mel, we have laws about seatbelts. But since when do laws matter to idiots??

Kids at the movies - I tell ya. A woman at Return of the King brought her - no joke - 4 yr old and a baby who couldn't be more than 6mths. Well, the baby started to cry. She let him cry for about half an hour before someone gave her an earful. When she finally got up to leave, people actually clapped.

My 5yr old is a huge Spider Man fan. We didn't see it at the theatre, but we bought it when it came out on DVD. We watched it once with him. He was terrified, but still loved Spider Man because of the toys (marketing at its best). So we bought him a bunch of Spider Man cartoons on DVD. He watches those now. The live-action film is collecting dust.

What did you do to your fingers, Melanie??

melanie
November 10th, 2004, 04:24 PM
making hubbies lunch at 5am this morning (i am jsut so nice but i do it every day, fool is me), well i am a mess at that hour, and i accidentally ran my fingers right across the metal serrated edge of the plastic wrap, oh god did it bleed, and hurt and made mely all cranky and sooky for while well at least till 6am, a normal hour. oooowwwwwwiiiiieeeee for me.

i never thought about the spider man cartoons, the movie just snet me into shock i think and i have avoided all spider man since. it makes me feel mean, and i think areme and my sister jsut old fashioned, btu no i wont let him. btu that marketing is good, i keep getting requests form my 10yo nephew to wathc the charlies angel videos, his friends have seen them, not over my dead body he wont, i told him they were rude movies not for young boys, boy did that really annoy him, he tells me hes 'not so little you know' and then shakes his head and mopes. i wil check out those videos though, aunty is always supposed to have the cool videos so it may get me a few browine points for the upcoming school holidays, to make up for my prudish behaviour in his video selection, it may jsut work (that and the threat that christmas is coming will work too). :D :D :D

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Raingirl-on the other hand, I've got one for ya concerning insurance companies, and the frustration that we consumers face...

My husband and I have been with the same insurance company for 10 years (both house and 2 vehicles insured), NO claims whatsoever. We've just bought a house that is exactly 49 square feet bigger than ours, and our premiums for the new house DOUBLED. I asked for an explanation from the agent as to why it doubled, and she stated that, "well, it's a MUCH bigger house"- 49 square feet????? And insurance companies can't understand why the general public is getting ticked with them?

raingirl
November 12th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Bearsmom,

It may not be a size issue. Did you move into a more rural area or more busy area? There are a lot of factors to consider. Is there a wood stove in the new place? Gas or electric heating? How close to a fire hydrant? How old is the new house compared to old? What security features are on the new one compared to old? How big is the land around the house? How close are the houses together on your new street (houses closer together are at higher risk of a fire spreading)? Do you have a fence or not?

For example, if you moved from the city to rural area where there is a wood stove and no local fire prevention, premiums could double very easily. Older houses have more probs also, and cost more to insure. SOmething as simple as living on a corner of a street as opposed to on the straight part can raise premiums by 50% (you have 2 sides of exposure on a corner, as opposed to just the front of the house).

If you want to reduce premiums, install a securty system and put bars on all lower windows. You can reduce by 20% that way. Being claim free and loyal only really gets you a discount of 5-10%, so it's not something use against the insurance asking why premiums went up. Make sure you have motion sensor lights so that the whole property can be lit up.

Maybe you moved into an area where there are a lot of break-ins (insurance companies are provided with statistics on high crime areas constantly)?

Make a list of differences from the old place to the new and think about how the new might be a higher risk to the insurance than the old.

I moved in August from a bachelor in an old house to a 2 bedroom apartment in a building. I saved almost 50% on my premiums even though the place was more than twice as big!! It was because it was more secure and in a more public place, less likely for crime. Plus the heating is electric, not a boiler like my other place, which makes a difference. My old place I was on the main floor, which is more susceptible to a break in.

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 12:44 PM
It may not be a size issue. Did you move into a more rural area or more busy area? About the same area, quiet residential street.

Is there a wood stove in the new place? Nope, no wood stove.

Gas or electric heating? Gas heat.

How close to a fire hydrant? Hydrant in front of residence (on city property).

How old is the new house compared to old? Old house built in 2000, new house built in 1999.

What security features are on the new one compared to old? No alarm system in old house, monitored fire/security system in new.

How big is the land around the house? 1/2 acre size, fully fenced. (Gotta keep our 164 lb "baby" enclosed, ya know)

How close are the houses together on your new street (houses closer together are at higher risk of a fire spreading)? About 25 feet apart.

SOmething as simple as living on a corner of a street as opposed to on the straight part can raise premiums by 50% (you have 2 sides of exposure on a corner, as opposed to just the front of the house). It's not a corner lot, I hate corner lots! ;)

If you want to reduce premiums, install a securty system and put bars on all lower windows. As a firefighter, I've seen the devastation that bars on lower windows can cause, too many people panic and can't figure out how to get out of their house if the exits are blocked. No way would I put bars on.

Make sure you have motion sensor lights so that the whole property can be lit up. Going to be done, being married to an electrician does have its benefits. :)

Maybe you moved into an area where there are a lot of break-ins (insurance companies are provided with statistics on high crime areas constantly)?Nope, it's actually considered a "better area".

Thanks so much for your reply, it's nice to speak with someone on "the inside". Perhaps I should look into switching companies?

m_apol
November 12th, 2004, 12:53 PM

I had one go in circles just for fun. :evil:

m_apol
November 12th, 2004, 12:55 PM

At least yours admits he's seen it, when I ask mine, he goes "What poop? I looked but I couldn't find any" when all along theres about 3 clumps in plain view. :mad:

raingirl
November 12th, 2004, 12:56 PM
A lot of people consider switching companies when their premiums get larger. BIG MISTAKE. Often other insurance companies will take on these..."deserters" with a low premium the first year, but then jack it up to more than your first company in the second year. usually a big change in premium happens for one year, but goes down the next. If you switched it would go up. Best to stay loyal to your company you are with now.

One question, did you have 1/2 acre before? Is you house only 49 sq ft bigger, or the total property is 49 sq ft bigger?

Just because the area is considered a "better area", the insurance might have stats that say otherwise. Something as simple as a rash of break-ins 5 blocks away can ruin the rates of anyone in a 5 km radius (stats say that theives will tend to break in again in a 5 km area).

I only moved a 5 minute walk from my old place to my new place and saved a ton of money.

The new house though built in 1999 could have been built under a different building standard or law, and might not be as good as the old place. I know there was a change recently in the gauge of wiring, maybe that's it? That was around 99/00. Maybe the builder of the new house is none to not have as good a built house? Insurance companies know all these things, but not even real estate agents or the general public know about them.

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM
If you switched it would go up. Best to stay loyal to your company you are with now. BUT I DON'T WANNA PAY THEM ANY MORE $$$$.

One question, did you have 1/2 acre before? We actually had just a tiny bit smaller lot than the new one.Is you house only 49 sq ft bigger. Just the house is bigger.

Just because the area is considered a "better area", the insurance might have stats that say otherwise. I asked the police and got their statistics on break and enters. The area has a LOT of officers living there.Something as simple as a rash of break-ins 5 blocks away (lol, the town's pretty small, I don't know that we have 5 whole blocks in it
I only moved a 5 minute walk from my old place to my new place and saved a ton of money.

The new house though built in 1999 could have been built under a different building standard or law ( I don't know about that).

We inspected the wiring ourselves, there was a huge issue with aluminum wiring in the houses, but this one doesn't have it.

Thanks for all your patience. I just can't understand how my company justifies doubling the premiums. Go figure.

Princesss04
November 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM
What business do you work on raingirl? If I have to guess insurance maybe. That is what I work in. And the statement that you made about people looking around when premium goes up that is so true.

Writing4Fun
November 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I used to work in group insurance until just recently. I have to say that I was pretty ticked with my own large insurance carrier as well. I've been with them for fourteen years. When we were in Quebec, our premium was initially high, but then steadily decreased (by $10-$20) every year as we got older. Once we moved to Ontario, it steadily increased (by the $hundreds) each year for no reason other than "there have been a large number of claims this year" - which we did not contribute to. The last straw was a $600 increase this past year, which was implemented just before the cap was imposed, so yeah, we changed carriers.

raingirl
November 12th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Keep in mind the cap on premiums was artificial and forced on insurance by the liberal government.

As I said above, auto insurance (and I think home insurance too) runs at a loss in ontario (which means that the premiums aren't covering the claims, thus there is no profit).

After 9/11, several insurance companies went out of business because no one ever imagined that there would be such a large loss. The world trade towers were only covered in the case that one was ever lost, not both. Needless to say, insurance hasn't recovered yet from that.

Plus, returns on investments have been horrible. I forget the figures, but I think premiums are only gathered to cover 70% of claims, and the rest was gathered from investments. Now we barely get 10%.

And Auto insurance is out of control!!! Fraud related to injuries is insane. Close to 50% of all auto injury claims have fraud. When I started here I couldn't beleive how much I was paying out on claims for SIMPLE injuries. I still cannot beleive it sometimes.

Just a quick poll...how much do you think it would cost the insurer to close a simple whiplash claim (which is 70% of claims) and how much premium do you think you pay for this coverage on your policy? (just curious)

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 02:28 PM
This question is for the Insurance ladies...
Sorry for being off topic!
I would like to know how it's possible for one insurance company to insure your house for waaay less than another, but still have the same coverage, if not better.
Our insurance last year was around $450 (which kept going up every year, with no claims, ever) a year, now this year we switched and are paying around $285 a year, some things are the same but the amount for personal belongings almost doubled with the new policy... a couple other things are better too. So is it all based on what the insurance company wants out of it (premium wise)?
I just don't see how it's possible. :p

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't pay all that much for a whiplash case, I'd be a terrible insurer, because I tend to not believe much of anything. (way too jaded, I know).

A co workers sister hasn't worked in 4 years due to a "bad back" (one of the most difficult injuries to disprove) from a car accident, but she can go to the bars and whoop it up every weekend, can play baseball, go to yoga, but she still can't work....I'm always so tempted to rat her out.

On the other hand, I was rear ended and seriously fractured my neck in a car accident a bajillion years ago. The insurance company was awesome (not my current insurer), they even offered home care! I laughed at that one. I can easily see how someone can milk the system, unfortunately, the rest of us pay dearly for it.

raingirl
November 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM
It's funny you should say that bearsmom!

You had a fractured neck and you sound surprised they offered you home care right? Well, the current policy has a limit of $3000 per month for homecare. Guess what? Most people with SIMPLE whiplash who have paralegals are claiming it!! It's out of control!

On average I pay between $40,000 and $100,000 for a whiplash claim (not kidding) when they only pay $60-$100 in premium. Now take that and multiply by 130 files that I have...close to 200 claimants!!!

If you wondered why your auto premiums were high, blame it on all the frraudulant claimants and legal reps!!

Sneaky, I can't help you much because insurance is different from province to province and state to state. I know in Canada that Statefarm has lower rates because you think you are getting the same coverage, but a lot is actually removed from their policies to lower the rates that you don't know about.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 03:10 PM
That's what I mean though... with the lower premium, our coverage is higher than before.. that's what I wasn't understanding.

raingirl
November 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM
They may have got rid of coverages that you didn't know you had.

For instance, Statefarm gets rid of basic "freebies" that most polices have like "changing locks" coverage. My sister was mugged by a guy she knew. He stole her keys and we were afraid he would break into our house. Under most policies there is a coverage for changing the locks in such a situation, that is not subject to deductible. I told my parents about it, but they were told by statefarm they don't have that coverage. That's why their rates were cheap!!! Needless to say, we had to pay the expense of hiring an emergency locksmith to change our locks at 4AM.

Also, if you changed from a small company to a larger one, you will get a cheap rate. Also, it could be a bating strategy. They might give you REALLY good rates for the first year, and make it huge the next year, more than if you stayed with your first company. This is very common in insurance. They bait you in with low premiums, and make you pay for it later. Be carefull. Sounds too good to be true.

Sneaky2006
November 12th, 2004, 03:28 PM
This is the same company that we have car insurance through, we've been with them for almost 10 years now... I really can't see that happening. Also, next year they told us we'll have a 20% discount on either the car or home insurance because of having both. They've been very good to us, I hope they don't mess it up.

Also, I don't think I would call them for lock changes anyway, or something else small. If my house burns down, or roof caves in, or I am robbed blind, then I would call them... that's all I wanted from my company anyway. The big stuff!!!

Bearsmom
November 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
I think I was more surprised that they offered home care and would have felt very guilty for using a service like that, since I really didn't need it.

Yes, the frauds should be strung up. People like that pissmerightoff.

Writing4Fun
November 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Well, I just changed carriers because of the increase in premiums. I know they're going to go up next year, but they were going up with the old guys anyway, so I don't see a diff. I mean, the premiums with the new guys would have to double just to reach what the old guys were charging us! And this was a major corporation!

About that cap - my salesman told me that they pushed through our rediculous increase because they knew that cap was coming into effect. So forgive me if I don't shed a tear for their financial woes. My bottom line means more to me than theirs does. ;)

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Misalligned headlights! There's nothing worse than having a headlight blind you from one car back....IN THE LANE BESIDE YOU! If your headlights don't point to the car in front of you on the BUMPER/TRUNK they're out of alignment!

Yeesh!!! :mad: :mad:

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I have a new one!

I hate it when people idle their car in the winter while the wait for their train!

I take the go train every day, and there is this girl who sits in her car for 20 minutes with the motor running, just drinking her coffee and reading a paper!!

I'm tempted to leave a note on her car reminding her there is a 3 minute idling bylaw. Can I call the police on her? How do I report her?

And it's not like she has to wait in her car! There is a whole heated building she can wait in plus 6 enclosed shelters!!

GsdDiamond
November 16th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Hehehe...find a paper or get a printout of car emissions and what they do to the environment and hand it to her. Don't say anything to her, just hand it to her. :evil:

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 12:01 PM
darn. I just read up on the bylaw. It doesn't apply if it's less than 5C outside. That sucks. I have enough trouble breathing as it is, which is worse in winter, and even worse if I have to walk through exhaust!!

crazyhorse
November 16th, 2004, 02:42 PM
I have a new pet peeve....People who put the kids in the vehical with the windows up car running while they clear the windows, get something from the house....do they not belive carbonmonoxide is dangerous, or do they want to get run over by their child and their car. What are they thinking?

Bearsmom
November 16th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Misalligned headlights! There's nothing worse than having a headlight blind you from one car back....IN THE LANE BESIDE YOU! If your headlights don't point to the car in front of you on the BUMPER/TRUNK they're out of alignment!

Yeesh!!! :mad: :mad:

I'm so guilty of this. Two days after I bought my car, some #$%^% ran into it in a parking lot, completely shattering the headlight assembly, and left the scene. Replacement part is $675.00 (not including labour), and my insurance deductible is $1000 (back to the insurance thing), so my headlights are going to remain out of whack until we can afford to fix the headlight.

Big pet peeve: people who are so careless with other people's cars. IE, opening their car doors and whacking them into the doors of the cars parked beside them. I've counted 14 "door dings" since I've got my car-plus I park far away from other cars (I like the exercise of walking across parking lots).

Bearsmom
November 16th, 2004, 04:54 PM
I have a new one!

I'm tempted to leave a note on her car reminding her there is a 3 minute idling bylaw. Can I call the police on her? How do I report her?

!!

Call your local city by law office, not the police. It's a by law issue, not legal.

raingirl
November 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
bearsmom, why not align and replace the light yourself. It's VERY EASY to do it. I did it when I was 17 and borrowed my parents car to go up to Algonquin. While I was up there we were playing at the campspot and someone knocked something into the headlight and the whole thing smash, light and assembly and all.

I just went to canadian tire, got a new assembly from the parts area, took off the old one, remembered where everything attached, and put the new one in. I replaced the light, parked near a wall (about 10 feet away) and you use a screwdriver to adjust the light. There should be 2 screws on either side of the light that make it go up and down and left to right. Then replace the cover and you are all ready to go.

here's a DIY guide on how to do it: http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_2270898,00.html

Is it a brand new car? I bet I could find a manual for your model on the net (I'm a new researcher..i can find anything on the net) that shows you how to do it. For minor things like that never claim to insurance. Because the party wasn't found who did it, it's considered "at fault" on your policy.

Sneaky2006
November 16th, 2004, 10:22 PM
I thought of another! I think you should have to retake your driving test after a certain age... a few months ago, my husband, my son and I were out shopping and we stopped at a steak shop to pick up lunch to take home. Well, my son and I stayed in the car while my husband ran in the shop... this little old woman came out of the shop and went to her car, which was perpendicular to ours but a good distance away... this was a fairly large parking lot. The back of her car was facing the drivers side of our car.. sorry if you can't picture it, I'm trying to explain as best as text will allow me! :)
Anyway, she starts backing up... not slowly I may add, she backs up right into our car! The whole car shook and I was blowing the horn because she was obviously still on the gas, the car kept shaking. I unhooked my son's seatbelt and we got out... at this point she's starting to move forward again and turn towards the exit, I am yelling my head off and she doesn't even blink... how can she not have known she hit us?? If you don't know you hit something or someone, then something is definitely wrong and you shouldn't be driving. I didn't even get her license plate number, I was so shocked that she didn't know...
So that's my newest pet peeve... don't worry, I'm not saying all old people can't drive cause I know that's not the case, but I think something should be done about it!

Karin
November 17th, 2004, 12:04 AM
I thought of another! I think you should have to retake your driving test after a certain age... a few months ago, my husband, my son and I were out shopping and we stopped at a steak shop to pick up lunch to take home. Well, my son and I stayed in the car while my husband ran in the shop... this little old woman came out of the shop and went to her car, which was perpendicular to ours but a good distance away... this was a fairly large parking lot. The back of her car was facing the drivers side of our car.. sorry if you can't picture it, I'm trying to explain as best as text will allow me! :)
Anyway, she starts backing up... not slowly I may add, she backs up right into our car! The whole car shook and I was blowing the horn because she was obviously still on the gas, the car kept shaking. I unhooked my son's seatbelt and we got out... at this point she's starting to move forward again and turn towards the exit, I am yelling my head off and she doesn't even blink... how can she not have known she hit us?? If you don't know you hit something or someone, then something is definitely wrong and you shouldn't be driving. I didn't even get her license plate number, I was so shocked that she didn't know...
So that's my newest pet peeve... don't worry, I'm not saying all old people can't drive cause I know that's not the case, but I think something should be done about it!

Do not fret Sneaky, something has been done about....

...all the over aged driver's, aka "blue hair's", have been directed south to Florida. To terrorize us natives. If we had any plywood left maybe we could have built a fortress to keep out all the bad drivers...or at least a booster seat so they could see over the steering wheel.

GsdDiamond
November 17th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Bearsmom: It's not like it's your fault for the way your headlight is. You were hit, plain and simple. The idiots I'm talking about have absolutely nothing wrong with their cars. The headlights are just out of whack.

I can relate about the old people driving peeve! YEARS ago, when I was just a wee lass, still living at home, my brother came over for a visit. Because he wasn't staying long he parked on the street in front of the house. Well, the old woman who lived there had a gentleman caller from California visiting her. He started to back out of the driveway, and smacked right into my brother's car. That would be fine if he only cracked other people's cars once....but no. Next time my brother comes over, he notices the California car across the street, so he parks in our driveway. The old guy backs out and hits someone else's car this time! He did this about 3 or 4 times! Each day hitting a different car! The guy had to be around 90 and must have been totally blind!!!

lilith_rizel
November 17th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Well, I was rudly awakend this morning, by construction workers in the house next to us. They were pounding on the wall that is on the otherside of my bedroom. And it was only 7:30 in the morning! I was so p*ssed. I already don't sleep well an night, I don't need to have them wake me up that early!! What the hell are they thinking!! Stupid people!

raingirl
November 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I know what you mean about bad drivers, not just the older ones.

I think we should be able to report people who drive bad for retesting.

Our neighbour was the worst driver. She barely passed her test from what I understand. One day she was backing out of her driveway...and backed all the way up the neighbour across the streets lawn!! She said she forgot which petal was which!!

chico2
November 17th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Since I am getting up there in age(60)I'd just like to mention,I am a good driver,maybe a little too heavy on the gas-gaspedal. :eek:
But if I knew I would not be safe for others,I'd be the first one to stay off the roads.
Driving on the high-way,you can always change lanes,but very often driving in the city on a one-lane road, I am behind someone driving 40km/h,when you are allowed to go 50km/h and I have to admit it's usually some little old guy/gal desperatly holding on to the steering-wheel with both hands.
I think many 16yr olds are more of danger,in their little noisy Hondas,waving in and out of lanes,no blinkers nothing.16 is to me WAAAY to young to be behind the wheel of a car,in most cases :evil:

Karin
November 17th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Sixteen year old's (or new driver's ) are more scarier than blue hairs.

I have to agree.

chico2
November 18th, 2004, 08:49 AM
I don't know if it has changed since we came to Canada,but in Sweden you had to be 21 to get a license and it was not easy,you get tested on changing tires,your knowledge about fixing minor problems etc...and it's also very expensive.

Bearsmom
November 22nd, 2004, 11:27 PM
bearsmom, why not align and replace the light yourself. It's VERY EASY to do it. I did it when I was 17 and borrowed my parents car to go up to Algonquin. While I was up there we were playing at the campspot and someone knocked something into the headlight and the whole thing smash, light and assembly and all.

I just went to canadian tire, got a new assembly from the parts area, took off the old one, remembered where everything attached, and put the new one in. I replaced the light, parked near a wall (about 10 feet away) and you use a screwdriver to adjust the light. There should be 2 screws on either side of the light that make it go up and down and left to right. Then replace the cover and you are all ready to go.

here's a DIY guide on how to do it: http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_parts_accessories/article/0,2021,DIY_13690_2270898,00.html

Is it a brand new car? I bet I could find a manual for your model on the net (I'm a new researcher..i can find anything on the net) that shows you how to do it. For minor things like that never claim to insurance. Because the party wasn't found who did it, it's considered "at fault" on your policy.

As I stated, the $675.00 just for the part!!!! I can change the headlight myself, but the part is way too expensive....as soon as we finish our move (this weekend, YAY I AM SOOOO STOKED), I'm going to start checking the wreckers, etc. No way am I paying that much for a headlight.

Writing4Fun
November 22nd, 2004, 11:55 PM
$675?! Whoa! What do you drive? :eek:

wAggie
November 22nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
I get so mad when CUSTOMER SERVICE people are RUDE for no reason!! http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/violent/sterb097.gif You don't like it - go work in a different industry

ok, ok, i HATE ppl who do not provide effective and efficient CS, i simply HATTTTTTTTTE it.

you do NOT want me as your customer. my DAD is even nice to them, and he's the guy who will degrade any living being who drives ANY differently from him. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
December 18th, 2004, 07:11 AM
You'd think going "high-tech" would simplify matters...

When money is changing hands, the service you receive (and the resulting charges) are instant - it all happens in a split second; it's all automated. BUT when you need to make a change to your service - one that does not result in immediate cash flow to the service industry in question - then those changes can take "up to 48 hours". What happened to "instant"? Where did "automation" go??

Sorry. Just needed to rant for a sec. :evil:

Bugsy
January 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
People who preach one thing to others.... yet do not practice what they preach http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/mad/763.gif

Luvmypit
January 25th, 2005, 03:50 PM
My pet peeve is slow walking shoppers when im in the store. I need to get in and get out. I hate walking behind someone who constantly stops in the isle to just stand there and look around. I just hate shopping period. Hate the malls.
I don't have much patience which could be the slow walkers pet peeves.

Dukieboy
January 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
This is terrible but its also funny. My co-worker says seniors should not be allowed to shop between 12 and 2 during the week because they get in lunch hour shoppers way. lol. terrible.

Sounds like another liberal ban in the making. ;)

SarahLynn123
January 25th, 2005, 04:05 PM
People who yield at a merge! It happens everyday to me. I would lay on the horn but its now broken (wonder how that happened)

Parents who do not discipline their children or tell them no. Example: we were in the resaurant and my friend needed to run outside to her car. 1 min max. She told her 3 year old daughter to sit with us she has to get her wallet and will be right back. Her kid started whining and she said I will give you $10 if you stop crying and be good. WHAT! If she fusses she goes straight home to bed, a firm talk in the bathroom, something other then bribery!

Parents who say no no no no no fine yes! No means No PERIOD,

Parents who dont teach their children to make healthy food choices. I dont mean all the time, fast food and dessert every now and then is fine, I mean cookies for breakfast, chocolate whenever they want, McDonalds for supper almost every night (or some kind of fast food) yep I know people like this and its upsetting.

Sorry for being hard on parents but children need guidance!

Sneaky2006
January 25th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Parents who dont teach their children to make healthy food choices. I dont mean all the time, fast food and dessert every now and then is fine, I mean cookies for breakfast, chocolate whenever they want, McDonalds for supper almost every night (or some kind of fast food) yep I know people like this and its upsetting. Oooh this ticks me off too!! I know people like this also... we shouldn't say anything but their kids eat crap all day long and they wonder why they are bouncing off the walls?? We went to their house one MORNING and by 11am their kids have already eaten candy, popsicles (3 yr old standing on a chair to help himself to the freezer), chips and donuts the dad bought for breakfast! My son doesn't get all of that crap in a weeks time!
These people eat out every single meal... the mom cooks chicken nuggets & fries, mac & cheese maybe once a week, other than that it's fast food, even breakfast... I don't get it.

SarahLynn123
January 25th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Oooh this ticks me off too!! I know people like this also... we shouldn't say anything but their kids eat crap all day long and they wonder why they are bouncing off the walls?? We went to their house one MORNING and by 11am their kids have already eaten candy, popsicles (3 yr old standing on a chair to help himself to the freezer), chips and donuts the dad bought for breakfast! My son doesn't get all of that crap in a weeks time!
These people eat out every single meal... the mom cooks chicken nuggets & fries, mac & cheese maybe once a week, other than that it's fast food, even breakfast... I don't get it.

How this one, the 3 year old was puking in the morning so she couldnt go to daycare so she had to come into work, she came in holding a bag of at least 6 double dunked oreo cookies which was her breakfast!!! She just finished getting sick! These people are setting their kids up for failure and a life of obesity. I hate to talk about it as well, but Ive said my piece to them in a very nice way, now they need to help themselves.

chico2
January 25th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Oh well,then they wonder why half of the population in North America is obese...it starts from child-hood on :evil:

happycats
January 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
This reeeeaaaaally ticks me off.
Your on the 401 (a major highway here in Ont canada) and someone cuts you off and almost runs you off the road, and they don't even notice this because they are to busy yapping on the PHONE!!!!! :mad:

There should be a law against this ! :thumbs up

SarahLynn123
January 25th, 2005, 05:32 PM
ohh I have one more that just happened. People who talk on speaker phone, turned up as loud as possible in an open office setting. Pick up the damn phone to talk.

happycats
January 25th, 2005, 05:37 PM
sarahlynn, that remins me of that swiffer duster comercial, have you seen it ??
woman all business like in meeting room, talking to husband/boyfriend on speaker phone, before meeting starts.
He starts calling her all kinds of baby names (schnookims wookims, booboo)
Just then all the other people enter the meeting room, :o :crazy:

mastifflover
January 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
I hate speaker phones only acceptable if you are speaking to more than one person on a business call. I constantly pretend I can't hear them and they have to pick up the phone it is just rude.
Kids we won't even begin to discuss the eating habits of the fat kids and adults anymore it is bad everywhere do people not eat real food anymore. I would starve to death if I had to eat fast food more than once or twice a month and it still can't be crap like McD or BK my fast food is subway or a real hamburger the kind made with meat not mystery mush.

Jackie467
January 25th, 2005, 05:45 PM
i'v got another one. people who never show up for work and feel that it is owed to them. my co-worker always worked 9 until 5 with an hour lunch break so 7hours a day right. norm is 8 for full time right? well she is on salary. our boss decided to begin opening at 8am (i work for a small business in a home converted to an office and my boss is the owner and has a lot of things wrong with her like limes diseas so she's sick a lot and doesn't come in until 12) well my co-worker decided that if she had to start at 8 then she should get an hour and a half for lunch. WHY??? that's 8 hours and it's what she is suposed to work. she also skips work constantly (and she has only been here for 5 months and collectivly probably took off about a month and a half of that spread out) and then all the other people leave (granted there is only 2 other people) and i get stuck here by myself to manage 4 lines, the e-mail, computers, and closing which is no easy task when your alone. and if i call and say i have to come in late once every 3 months because of a doctors appoitment she throws a fit. i mean i can't help it, i get off at five and my doctors office closes at four.

SarahLynn123
January 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM
sarahlynn, that remins me of that swiffer duster comercial, have you seen it ??
woman all business like in meeting room, talking to husband/boyfriend on speaker phone, before meeting starts.
He starts calling her all kinds of baby names (schnookims wookims, booboo)
Just then all the other people enter the meeting room, :o :crazy:

I have!!! I love it. I giggle everytime I see it and hope it happens to some of the people around here. (oops thats a little mean) hehehe

mesaana
January 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Ok, I have to vent about this work thing. I really love the concept of email but I think people forgot basic courtesy and that kills me!!! Would it kill you to say hello and thank you? But the worst thing is this: I'm now at the national level in my job and there are area specialists (4 in Canada) that answer the questions of people in the field and ask me if they don't know. One of them has this bad habit: if he gets an email question that he doesn't know the answer for, he forwards it to me with only ??? in his email. Nothing else! Not even a please or a thank you. I was doing that job up to 3 weeks ago and what I would do if I didn't know the answer is write an email explaining the problem and giving my tentative response while asking if I had it right. He just writes ???.

Felt good to let it out.

Of course I have all the other pet peeves, the bad drivers (don't get me started on people hitting my car while parking, hitting it hard enough so my alarm goes off and then they tell me "but I barely touched it") and the people who bring their way too young children to inappropriate movies...

Lyne

twinmommy
January 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM
You guys might think I'm mean, but I HATE repeating what I say to people who say "What?" out of habit, meaning nothing is wrong with their hearing!!

I don't know if anyone else knows what I mean, but to tell you the truth even if they are deaf or hearing impaired, I find it annoying. :sorry:

Sneaky2006
January 25th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I know exactly what you mean TM... they say 'what?' and if you don't repeat yourself, they'll usually answer you anyway because they heard you the first time!

vet tech girl
January 25th, 2005, 11:08 PM
whenever i try to sleep in the phone always rings and lately it's been a fax machine beeping on the other end, and to make it worse they always call 4 times in a row!

Rottimom
January 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I love these!!!

Is anyone else waiting to hear what Schwinn's pet peeves are.........??? :D :party: :crazy: :p :clown:

chico2
January 26th, 2005, 09:43 AM
I think phones period are annoying :evil: TG for caller ID :D
Drivers trying to negotiate a curb,while in an animated discussion on a phone almost gets me into a road-rage mood :evil:
I have a cell-phone in the car,for emergencies only,there is nothing else so important it cannot wait until I get home!!
Oh yes,Schwinn let's see your loooong list :thumbs up

raingirl
January 26th, 2005, 09:55 AM
I hate it when people don't put claim numbers on the forms they send me (ok, it's a work pet peeve, but our computer system is really bad for searching by name, so if there is no claim number, sometimes it's hard to find out where to file a document, etc).

twinmommy
January 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Sneaky---what? LOLOL Glad you get that too!!

Well,we still have waaay to many who walk their dogs without a "poo-bag" !!!!

gRRRRRRRRRR!

and how about people who leave 1 cm left in the bottom of the milk container. What size glass of milk is that for huh????

how about those poeple who don't clean off their cars, or especially VANS properly from snow and drive around these moving igloos!! Jerks!!

flicks of toothpaste/water/??? on the bathroom mirror....(o.k. I'll get a life! :D ) when you've just cleaned in there....

can I mention the MIL, or should that be a whole other thread???!!? :D

Bearsmom
January 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=mesaana]Ok, I have to vent about this work thing. I really love the concept of email but I think people forgot basic courtesy and that kills me!!! Would it kill you to say hello and thank you? But the worst thing is this: I'm now at the national level in my job and there are area specialists (4 in Canada) that answer the questions of people in the field and ask me if they don't know. One of them has this bad habit: if he gets an email question that he doesn't know the answer for, he forwards it to me with only ??? in his email. Nothing else! Not even a please or a thank you. I was doing that job up to 3 weeks ago and what I would do if I didn't know the answer is write an email explaining the problem and giving my tentative response while asking if I had it right. He just writes ???.

Send him his answer back with (in a HUGE font) YOU'RE WELCOME. Maybe he'll get the point.

Sneaky2006
January 26th, 2005, 05:02 PM
These are more of pet-peeves from home... and how about people who leave 1 cm left in the bottom of the milk container. What size glass of milk is that for huh????flicks of toothpaste/water/??? on the bathroom mirror....(o.k. I'll get a life! ) when you've just cleaned in there.... I have one for the home! You've just cleaned the bathroom and everything is sparkling clean (well, almost) and then your husband shaves... need I say more?

chico2
January 26th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I have these idiotic glass-shower doors,I have long very hot baths,but hubby,like most people,showers....I am trying to train him to clean those horrible shower-doors after he finishes :D but it's not working :evil:
Any recipy for easy cleaning of shower-doors :confused:

happycats
January 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
sneaky, the shave thing LOL it's soooo true.

what about a 3 year old who leaves the toilet seat up, so I fall in, in the middle of the night !!! :rolleyes: :p .

Or when one of my cats has a poo poo cling on, and sits on my lap :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: before I notice, eeeewwww!!

Or when one of the cats cough up a lovely furball :yuck: right in the middle of the bed (just after you laundered it) :( .

Or people who cut in line at the grocery store.

Or people who hit your car in a parking lot, and just leave!!

Or.....................I could go on, but I think I have vented enough, Whew
I feel so much better now :o

deerclan
January 26th, 2005, 05:31 PM
LOL some of these pet peves are hilarious so will add one of my own!

When your behind someone at a set of lights (no offence to the Ladies) :D and she has her makeup mirror open her head tilted to the side to hold the cell phone shes talking on, and smoking all at the same time she takes her sweet time advancing through the green because she is still checking her makeup you beep your horn and you have this person flip the bird at you. :D

Jackie467
January 26th, 2005, 05:46 PM
I have these idiotic glass-shower doors,I have long very hot baths,but hubby,like most people,showers....I am trying to train him to clean those horrible shower-doors after he finishes but it's not working
Any recipy for easy cleaning of shower-doors

What we do with our shower doors is keep a large squeegie (sp?) hanging in the shower and when you're done you squeegie all the doors (we do walls too) and that works pretty well for us to keep them from getting water and soap spots.

meb999
January 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
I have so many pet peeves... I don't know where to begin!

- people who argue with you about something they know NOTHING about
One of my bf friends once told me that he had a cranberry tree at his house -- we were arguing about where cranberries came from---A CRANBERRY TREE!! This same guy also told me once that rubber conducts electricity...WHAT???

- Waiters who act annoyed when they they get your order wrong
hello??? YOU made the mistake, I just want you to correct it (I know how hard it is to be waitress...I did it for almost 10 years!)

- people with bad breath...why do they feel the need to be so close to you when they speak???

- People who park in MY parking spot...IT'S MINE!!

- People who get dressed up real fancy and wear lots of make-up at the gym

- Strangers who call you sweetie, or honey, or sugar

Wow, I feel a little better!!

Karin
January 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
ohh I have one more that just happened. People who talk on speaker phone, turned up as loud as possible in an open office setting. Pick up the damn phone to talk.

A peeve of mine also! Pick up the phone and talk ! I abhor the "canned" phone...my mother is the worse for this offense, I always say.."I can't hear you.."..and most of the time, speaker canned voice will pick up on the line.

doggy lover
January 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
I must be grumpy I have so many, that or it shows that I'm getting old, here are a few :D
1 phone sales people, I'm not interested or I'd call you
2 people who don't pick up after their dogs, theres no poop fairy
3 screaming kids or parents that count, you could count until your blue in the face the kids not listening
4 people that can eat anything and not gain an ounce
5 drunk drivers, they haven't gotten the big picture yet, don't do it

doggy lover
January 28th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah when you have company over and your pet decides this is a good time to have a good old wash of certain body parts, ya know what I mean :yuck:

wAggie
January 30th, 2005, 08:39 PM
smokers, forgive me (perhaps)

but I strongly DETEST when ppl get on the bus, sit beside me, walk by, whatever - and they REEK of smoke, old, stale smoke (forget that, any smoke) :yuck:

there should be a special bus or smokers section on the bus or something, how disgusting... I dont wanna be breathing that sh!t in.

*2 thumbs down*

Karin
January 30th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Oh yeah when you have company over and your pet decides this is a good time to have a good old wash of certain body parts, ya know what I mean :yuck:

On that note...

Bubba & Leroy were strolling along one day and came across an old male coon hound...licking away. Bubba said to Leroy, " I sure wish I could do that!". Bubba replied..." I think he'd bite ya."

Bearsmom
January 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM
smokers, forgive me (perhaps)

but I strongly DETEST when ppl get on the bus, sit beside me, walk by, whatever - and they REEK of smoke, old, stale smoke (forget that, any smoke) :yuck:

there should be a special bus or smokers section on the bus or something, how disgusting... I dont wanna be breathing that sh!t in.

*2 thumbs down*

I find that people who marinate in perfume deserve 2 thumbs down, and then some.

chico2
January 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Bearsmom,I agree,the same goes for garlic and day-after-boooze stink :yuck: