Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i just had a thought about grass

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM
OK. I have an enclosed balcony.

I like plants. I have lots of plants in there already (it's like a greenhouse, lots of windows and light, and it's on a corner)

What if I were to build a planter box and grow grass in it? (something maybe 3 feet by 3 feet, about 10 inches high?)

Would a dog go potty in such a place?

I know it's sounds kinda weird..and maybe I'm crazy suggesting it...

Probably would work for a girl dog, but not a boy...

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
I think it's perfect! I told a friend of mine to do that in her back area of her Condo (for some reason she had no grass). She's not going to do it, but I think it's super!!!

In a case like that, though, I think I would stick with a smaller dog. Dogs like to "scratch" at the ground after they go (girls too). A big dog would fling that 3x3 box over the edge! :eek:

How would you mow it though? It would have to be a very small mower. OR...you could cut the grass blade by blade with scissors!!!! :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2004, 01:05 PM
You probably could do it with a very small dog, but really I think it's easier to take the dog out.

How will you keep clean a 3x3 box filled with earth when it's soaked and stinking of urine? :eek:

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM
It's something definately I will consider.

I would love to do the whole room with grass, but we also use it as a room to dry our laundry (since it gets so warm).

It wouldn't be for use all the time, just there in case the dog wants to use it while we are at work or whatever. The rest of the time we would take him out.

Besides, I assume that the grass would and soil and natural bacteria in the soil would neutralize the urine. Poop of course would be picked up.

Dukieboy
November 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM
I think it's perfect! I told a friend of mine to do that in her back area of her Condo (for some reason she had no grass). She's not going to do it, but I think it's super!!!

In a case like that, though, I think I would stick with a smaller dog. Dogs like to "scratch" at the ground after they go (girls too). A big dog would fling that 3x3 box over the edge! :eek:

How would you mow it though? It would have to be a very small mower. OR...you could cut the grass blade by blade with scissors!!!! :thumbs up
hey don't laugh about cutting the grass with scissors. My yard is so small that i do ;)

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM
You could always make a natural watershed type of grass patch. A layer of sand at the bottom, then gravel, then dirt, then sand, then dirt, finally grass. The sand and gravel (not too coarse) act to keep the soil from washing away or becoming too compact, while allowing you to water the excrements away with watering. Have the bottom of the pan slightly angled to one corner to a small drain hole cut in the box. Run a little hose to a little pail, so when the pail fills up, you dump it out somewhere or flush it.

Don't forget to airate your grass with a gardening fork once a year to prevent it from becoming too compact.

LOL @ Dukieboy :D :D

Ling
November 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Oddly enough there are dog litter boxes available. There are a ton of sites about it - avail on e bay and stuff but you may want to look into it?
I've never used them and I don't know anyone that has, but eh - can't hurt to look into it...

http://www.doglitter.com/

http://www.bizrate.com/buy/products__cat_id--31000300,keyword--dog%20litter%20box.html

Good luck!

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Hmmm...I am going to have to make a trip to home depot...sod might be hard to find at this time of year though.

It could be a fun project!! I'll get my boyfriend to draw up a design (he's a graphic designer)

Writing4Fun
November 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM
You people are cracking me up! :crazy: Dukie - you're joking - please say you're joking!! Raingirl, why not do the whole room in grass? Hang a clothes line from one wall to the next. It'll be just like drying your laundry outdoors! :p Won't your landlord freak, though?

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Hahah!!! Never thought of that!!

The landlord probably wouldn't care as long as nothing leaks (would have to be water tight!) and it doesn't ruin the walls or floor.

Shelly
November 5th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Just when I thought I'd heard it all. Too funny, but also a great idea. :D

glasslass
November 6th, 2004, 11:08 AM
What about that artificial turf they use at ballparks? If you have a male dog, you could add a small goalpost! :D