Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

budget

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Ok. I've started writing a buget plan for getting a dog (I have a rough one already, but I want to make sure I have everything in order for when I find the right dog).

If the rescue cost about $300.00 (assumed the maximum) and depending where I get, it might not come with much.

Would an assumption of another $400.00 for supplies, toys, food, crate, vet, etc for initial start up be too much or not enough?

I am currently looking for a used "excercise pen" type thing, or some used baby gates, so in the beginning I can keep the dog in a smaller area until we know if he/she is ok to be alone in the whole apartment. I would look for a used crate, but that doesn't make sense if we don't know how big the dog is yet!!

Thanks!

Rachael

Writing4Fun
November 5th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hi raingirl. Wait until you get the puppy (or at least know that you will be getting it) and then check the SuperShopper for a used crate. LOTS of great deals in there for dog stuff.

Oh, and you'll want to budget more in for the vet. It could be $75-$100 per visit for the first three, and then up to $300-$400 for the spay/neuter (over-estimating here to be safe). Another thing to consider is about $20/month for insurance. Trust me - you'll want to seriously consider that one!!

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Well, for us, it kind of broke down this way:
We got most of our supplies from a "buy and sell" used pet supply store, so the cost was not as high as it could have been.

*used* Kennel: $70
*new* Steel Bowls: $15
*new* Toys: (approx) $30-40
*new* Treats: $20
*used* Collar and Leash: $15
*used* Pillow or blanket for Kennel: $0
*new* Vet visit: $depends on Vet (ours was about $60 for initial checkup)
*new* Brush: $15
*used* Nail Clipper: (inherited - no cost)
*new & dry!* Food: $40 (bought at cost from breeder)
*new* Puppy: $800 :D

Total cost, exluding puppy: $275 ish

It really depends on if people can give you stuff from their old pets, or stuff they don't need anymore. The Buy & Sell is a good place to get stuff. (you have that mag there?) Check the newspaper in the pets section.

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
What's the SuperShopper??

I thought maybe more for the vet. Ours is $67 (after tax) per visit. I would assume since we are looking for an older rescue dog (1-5 years old) that it will probably be neutered/spayed already.

How long does it take for the insurance to come into effect? I assume I would sign up the day we get the dog, but I want it to be in effect for our first vet visit in case something is wrong and I need coverage.

Something I also learned today is that the leash law in my city is that the leash cannot be more than 2 metres! I wanted to get a retractable leash, but they are all more than 2 metres.

mastifflover
November 5th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Raingirl I have a crate that you can have cheap as I no longer need it. It is a fairly good size and collapses easily so you could use it as a gate to block a door. I am not a big fan of retractable leashes I think they can be dangerous. There are a number of reasons they can get away from you and onto the road. You can't get your dog out of the way of an aggressive dog quick enough. Get a good 6' lead there are some that can be converted to a traffic lead and also use as a long lead.

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks Mastiff. I'll PM you and we can work out the details.

One of my co-workers was selling a babygate for $15, but someone beat me to it!!

jackieb
November 5th, 2004, 12:46 PM
raingirl thanks for this intresting as i hope to get a dog next year so this will prepare me :party:

glasslass
November 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM
I was pretty well established when we got Den-Den. We had an emergency fund in place and he inherited from my previous dog. But my mom's neighbor and some of my friends did the neatest thing! They threw Baby Den-Den a shower! We've never had kids and over the last 30+ years have bought all kinds of shower gifts for friends and co-workers. Den-Den received all kinds of goodies! This verse is from one of his cards. Somehow seems appropriate for this thread!

A New Puppy!

For fur you'll find around the house,
For when your dog drags in a mouse,
For squeeky toys and leather collars,
For vet trips costing losts of dollars,
For taking walks with leash in hand,
For buying dog food (bagged and canned).
For barking very late at night,
For jumps of joy when you're in sight,
For all the droppings you'll pick up . . . .

(inside) Congratulations on your pup!

Lucky Rescue
November 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM
If you get a rescue dog, the spay/neuter and shots should be included in the adoption fee.

I would not use a retractable leash. You have no control with this. I have one heavy nylon leash that is 2 meters, and has a "traffic handle" at the bottom. It's great for crowded areas or busy streets

! I also have a 20 foot leash for using in fields or woods. I tie knots along the length to give something to hold on to if need be.

As for vet care, you might want to look at the Care Credit card. It's a credit card that can be used only at the vet. This way, you only pay when it's needed.:)
Care Credit Canada (http://planc.carecredit.ca/quebec/anglais/index.htm)

Writing4Fun
November 6th, 2004, 11:09 AM
The SuperShopper is like a buy 'n' sell mag. It's free for private people - businesses pay to advertise. You can get them at convenience stores. It might be only in Simcoe County? I'm pretty sure I saw stuff from people in TO (at the very least, they probably work in TO, so you might be able to arrange a pick-up). You can check it out on-line at www.supershopper.com, but the ads in there are from the last printed issue, so some of the stuff might already be sold.

About insurance - some things are covered right away, some things take a month to activate. Depends on your plan. If you adopt from a petfinder shelter, you'll get two months free. That's for the basic plan, but they'll let you upgrade and apply the two-month cost to your first bill if you want a better plan (that's what I did). You do have to pay the initial admin fee, so it won't actually be "free" right away, but your first couple of bills will be a lot cheaper than if you just walked in off the street.

Leashes - I'm not a fan of retractable leads either. If you're planning on taking your dog for obedience lessons, they most likely won't let you use a retractable lead anyway, so why waste the money on two different leashes? Mastifflover's right - a good 6' leash with a handle at the 2' level for closer control is perfect.

Now I'm all excited and anxious for your to get your new dog! :D

schape
November 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
One of my co-workers was selling a babygate for $15, but someone beat me to it!!

raingirl, where do you live. I have a babygate that I got for my puppy but I no longer need it.

raingirl
November 8th, 2004, 12:04 PM
OK...retractable leash a no no, got it! I'll stick to the one you suggested.

schape, I live in the GTA...so a little to far to bring a baby gate. Would cost more in gas or to ship than it's worth.

writing4fun, I think supershopper is only for up north, as most of the numbers are 705 area code. I've seen the paper before, but only up north when on holiday.

I was thinking about how much easier this process would be if I could buy the stuff ahead of time. But from what I understand, some of these things depend on the weight of the dog, so I will have to wait!