Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy to Adult Food?

jjgeonerd
November 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
At what age is it good to transition from puppy to adult dry dog food? I have heard one year, but I've also heard around 9 months.

Thanks

Mysts38
November 5th, 2004, 12:09 PM
SOme vets will tell you to feed puppy food till a year,others say if you have a large breed dog to feed it large breed puppy till 6 months,then switch to adult..the reason? cause large breed dogs grow so fast that we may want to slow down the rapid growth and prevent them from getting overweight

Puppy food has alot more fat that regular adult food..

My puppy Hannah is a 3 month old golden retriever who now weighs 15lbs..shes growing so fast,that the bag of large breed puppy food we have will be her last and she will go on adult food at around 5-6 months.An overweight golden puppy is not a healthy dog.

If yu have a smaller breed dog with not so rapid growth,then there is no reason why the pup cant stay on pup food till its 8 months to 1 year old

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Cano started adult food at 6 months.

heidiho
November 5th, 2004, 12:17 PM
When i had my gsd,iwas told around 6 months...........

schape
November 5th, 2004, 12:30 PM
My dog was 6 months old when I started feeding her adult food.

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM
At 9 months, our GSD is eating a mix of both adult and puppy. 50% mix of adult/puppy for dry and adult canned.

The Vet is very pleased with her weight, as it sits now close to 70 lbs. I can't say what the proper time is to switch for little dogs, but I was told to keep her on this mixture now until she's a year old, and her bones have stopped growing. Then we'll be able to switch her completely to adult food.

It also depends on how much you feed too. We don't leave her food down for her to snack on and she gets very little treats, other than bones to chew. So, if your dog looks like it's finished growing, then mix the food to slow the calorie intake. (at least this is what I'm doing. It may not be good for a little dog)

mastifflover
November 5th, 2004, 12:36 PM
You can also put you dog on an allstage food which I think a few manufacturers make. I havent used puppy food in way too long to remember when you switch. Giant breeds getting puppy food till they are 3-4 month old then adult.

goldenblaze
November 5th, 2004, 12:52 PM
My Golden is 9 months old and will stay on large bred puppy till he is 1 year! Our Vet told us to leave him on it as it is for puppy's till one year that is why they now have large bred puppy food.

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Since Diamond's on a chicken free diet, there's only so many types of food she can eat. It took us a while to find the type of food mixture she likes so we're at least happy she's getting some puppy food.

Otherwise, yes, we were also told, by many sources, to keep her eating puppy food for a year.