Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bengal cats?

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone owns a bengal cat. I have heard that they are really expensive, because they are used as show cats. Is this true. I would like to get one later on in life. I think that they are so beautiful. I love the stripes mixed with spots look!. And thier color is just amazing.

sujean
November 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM
here is a good site from a reputable breeder in sarasota florida.

there are a lot of really cool bred cats out there-check out the jungle cat/chausie-now that is a handsome cat, and at up to 30 pounds!

have fun! http://www.chausie.net/aboutourcattery.html

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
THANKS!`Sujean

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 01:17 PM
WOW! They are expensive. Even with the pricing, I still plan on getting one. I will have to bookmark this site, and start saving up for one!!!!

sujean
November 5th, 2004, 03:46 PM
me too! i really want a chausie but i am on strict non-kitty adoption (put on by hubbie) as i have 4 cats and a dog right now. also, i hate to have to "pay" for a cat. I feel bad if i'm not saving a cat or dog from the shelter... :sad:

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM
They are gorgeous cats! I don't think I'd be allowed one here because of the kind they are. 50% wild cat doesn't like looking to "play" with the neighbours dog....more like snack! (my neighbour has a mini-poodle)

squarejane
November 5th, 2004, 05:16 PM
one thing to be aware of is that they have more wild tendencies than your typical housecat. i really wanted to get one for the past 2 or 3 years and did some research on them. one other thing that's kinda cool is that sometimes reputable breeders of them will look for loving homes for a retired breeder (about 2 yrs old). the one place i saw made you fill out a 3 pg questionnaire before even considering you! :love: and the prices were much more reasonable. i'll go see if i can find that site...

squarejane
November 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM
here's the bengal cat society:

http://www.bengalcat.com/

and here's a seemingly responsible breeder:

http://www.exoticbengals.com/

dang, i can't seem to find the one i'm looking for. i'm pretty sure it's on the bengal cat society page though.

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks, I have looked at the breeder, and like what I see. I sent an email to the breeder asking all sorts of questions about her breeding service. I am hoping that I get a reply sometime within the next week. I know that I am going to have to save up to adopt one of these guys, so I am looking into all costs right now. I don't plan on getting one for atleast another year. I just want to be prepared for that whopping adoption fee, and the first vet bills!

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Make sure the kittens are around 4th generation domesticated, otherwise they may retain too many wild tendancies.

You should try to go to any cat shows in your area, to see them in person and talk with a breeder.

Yes, they are stunningly beautiful. Look at the "Snow Leopard" variety. :eek: I want one!!!!
http://www.hdw-inc.com/snows3babies.jpg

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Lucky,
James wants to know if they after the 4th generation, if they have those wild tendancies as well. I managed to talk him into getting one!!!! Just not for a a year or so. :D :D :D

squarejane
November 6th, 2004, 12:50 AM
i could be totally wrong but i remember reading (when i wanted to get one) :) that fourth gen and onward were more docile but still had some wilder sides to their personalities... and anything under 4th gen can be way too much for the average person. think of a basengi dog... they are much more like a child in that they are more intense, more sensitive but then again, they are also extremely unique and personable.

good luck and keep us posted! they are just stunning!

:thumbs up

sujean
November 6th, 2004, 08:16 PM
in general, these cats will always have the wild tendncies, which is why a reputable breeder is very specific in finding owners. they are very active cats and if aren't kept busy and played with quite a bit, they can get into quite a bit of trouble. i guess you should equate it to having a chewer for a dog or a puppy. the second they get bored, they go on a destructive path. having one of these cats will be like having a dog, you need to have time to walk it and play with it A LOT.

and make sure when you get one of these, have a very tall perch for them as they can jump great heights. otherwise, you could very well see kitty on top of your ceiling fan :D

i had a friend that had a chausie and he said they are GREAT pets! for thefirst who gets one of these wild cats, please post pics!!

ilovebengals
January 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM
I am a bengal breeder and I find that these cats are misunderstood because of thier wild look. Bengals that are the SBT generation (4 generations of bengal to bengal breeding) are considered domestic and are not any harder to keep or deal with then other domestic cats. The only difference is that they climb better and most like water. Most of us bengal breeders are stiving to breed only the best and put more money into our cats then we make back.
You can see my cats on my website at http://www.littleleopardcats.com
if you have questions feel free to ask. I like to get the word out about this wonderful breed. I've had way to many people scared of my cats or tell me they should go back to the wild where they belong. This is because they do not understand that these are regular domestic cats with a wild look.

CyberKitten
January 7th, 2005, 03:12 AM
I was reading an older thread about Bengal cats and someone suggested they are expensive. They are no more than purebred Siamese kittens (I checked the prices on the site that breeder posted as well as others) - and from what I understnd from a friend who has one, are similar to the Siamese in that they demand and need more attention. They can easily get into trouble - because of their intelligence (again like the Siamese) because they are easily bored.

Anyway, I paid as much for Yin Yin as these kittens are advertised and I did not consider that much money. The breeders never recoup their costs.

The second kittens to be cloned were Bengals - they were shown at the Cat Show in NYC last fall. (It was the same company eho recently cloned "Little Nicky")

They are indeed beautiful cats!

Lucky Rescue
January 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Ilovebengals, your cats are gorgeous and it's nice to see you keep kittens until they are 12 weeks old and that you require s/n for pet quality kittens.

Most of us bengal breeders are stiving to breed only the best and put more money into our cats then we make back.

I don't see any championships on your stud or queen however. Do you not show your cats? If not, how do you know you are breeding the "best"?

BMDLuver
January 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM
There were two bengal kittens available posted on petfinder. They were not very expensive from what I recall. Perhaps this is an option, to watch the petfinder site as it is not the first time I have seen them available. Might be a less expensive way to be able to own one!

CyberKitten
January 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
ilovebengals' kittens were between $800 and $2000 - show cats are always more espensive and $800 certainky is a good price. Obviously, if you can get one from a rescue for a mere $150 or so, that would be even better. And some time breeders sell retired studs and queens for less expensive prices.