Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PLLLEEAASSSEE help...?

shannyem
November 5th, 2004, 10:02 AM
undefinedundefined[COLOR=Red]
I have an 8 month old shi tzu, and it seems as thougth he refuses to become house broken! I've tried everything. He's been crate trained..to an extent. I leave him in there when he can't be supervised. The prob is that he is so quiet, I never know when he has to go. I've even tried wee-pads. The biggest thing is that he eats his own poo! Any suggestions?

GsdDiamond
November 5th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Lets see if I get this straight:

Your 8 month old dog goes wherever it wants in the house to do it's business and then eats it's own feces?

The simpliest solution I can think of is: finish crate training him. When he's not in his crate, he's on a leash to monitor where he goes and what he does. As soon as you see him start sniffing or moving his tail in a certain way...bam....outside with LOTS of praise.

I've never used Wee pads, so I can't say if you're using them correctly or not. Straight outside, that's the best way, if you have the time to monitor. If you can't watch him...in the crate! Make it a fun place for him to be and he'll enjoy going in there. Something to chew on, something to play with, something to curl up in, a radio or TV for noise, and (my spoiled dog has her own) a fan for air circulation.

Perhaps the other members, who actually own that breed, can offer better advice. Good luck.

Dukieboy
November 5th, 2004, 10:14 AM
I found with my pup taking him out in the yard or letting him out hourly, yes, hourly till he got it worked. If your out during the day you can't ofcourse do this. But do it when you are home. When ever I caught him going anywhere other than the paper I told him no. My pup went on the paper initially when I was at work and now, he is nine months he can hold it. He doesn't get up out of bed all night, lazy fellow, and has to be told to get up in the morning to go out for a pee or I don't know how long he would lay there. I'm kinda lucky because my partner works nights so he is home all day and can let him out every now and again but all Duke does is sit at the door. He doesn't give any other indication so you have to check every now and again.

He used to eat his poo when he was a small pup and stopped on his own. On some level he may be eating it because he knows it shouldn't be there but needs more direction about where it definately belongs (outside)

Shaykeija
November 5th, 2004, 11:08 AM
My Shih Tzu, Sophie did the same thing. Turd snacks. :eek: Gross gross gross. The first time I saw her do that I gagged for an hour.
I take her outside to do her stuff. When she poops I walk her away fast from it. She has one place to poop and another to pee. She only poops once a day in the morning. I keep pee pads in the house in case they need it if I am out. My girls seldome use it. Pehaps you could put a little of your dogs pee on the pad to scent it. That worked for Missie. When we lived in a apartment we let them use the pee pads all the time. 4th floor walk up. Now that we bought a house again, we just take them outside. I can tell when Sophie has to go. She sniffs and goes in circles. Missie, well she just drops and goes. Funny little monkeys.