Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help I am going CRAZY!!!

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Okay I have a question for you all. As you all know I adopted Charming at the beginning of Sept. We love the dog more than anything. But, I need help on something. He chews up everything. I mean not like normal things but we bought a new couch and it is gone. He chewed up two of the cushions and the back, he has chewed up all the window ledges in the dinning room. He has ate up 9 pairs of my shoes (and the shoe rack that holds them) he has chewed up a ton of blankets and pillows. We buy him a million toys and he chews them all up. He even killed his kong. He chews on his bowls and my cabinets and his brother Meat Loaf. Okay and if that is not bad enough he pees everywhere. He poops everywhere. He knows to go outside but most of the time he chooses not to. We will take him outside and than bring him in the house and he will run and go pee right in front of us. We praise him when he goes and he gets treats but we can not break him from going in the house. He also submissive wets which we understand and that is fine gross but fine. We love him so much but we can not keep all this up. Justin is on the phone with the shelter now to see what they think we should do. Thank you all so much for your help. I understand he is a puppy but come on Meat Loaf was never this bad. :confused:

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Have you tried spraying apple bitter on things that he is not supposed to chew on. I know that Cano hated vinegar, and wouldn't go near the cat box or garbage if he could smell that we put vinegar there. Most dogs don't like bitter tasting things.

raingirl
November 5th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I don't have a dog yet...so I could be wrong...but is this maybe separation anxiety?

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Hey Princess. Do you crate him at all? That solved all my peeing and chewing problems. Helix has also chewed up my couches and my window sills, but now he's crated when we're out. You need to establish a routine for your pup when it comes to going pee and poop. Kia was the most difficult dog to train to pee and poop outside, but as soon as we started crating her, she knew that if she didn't go in the morning, she'd have to hold it until lunch time. I totally suggest crating him. That'll solve all your problems. :D

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM
To add to crating, for the times he's not in his crate, keep him on a leash with you so he doesn't have free reign of the house. Watch for his signs that he has to pee, like sniffing everywhere, and take him outside immediately. It takes time to train them, but it'll save your sanity in the long run. :)

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 11:06 AM
As far as messing in the house, keep him crated until he stops messing. It is what we had to do with Cano. Take him out to eat, drink, go potty, and to play. Otherwise, keep him crated. It is the only way that Cano learned. And when you do take him out to do his stuff, don't let him in or play until he has done what he went out there to do. Give him the commands "go pee" and "go poop". Pay no attention to him wanting to play. And put him on a short leash during potty time. The one we use is 4 feet. It may work for you guys and your pup. try it, before you give up trying.

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Spray it on what everything in the house. Because it is not like we know what he will chew on next. We sparyed some spray we got from the vet on the couch and he still chews on it. The thing is we never know what he is gonna chew on next. I mean he has never chewed on the stairs but when I came home last night he had chewed a big hole in the bottom stair. There is no carpet he chewed through the wood. And that is brand new carpet. So there is no way I would know what to spray because the minute I spary one thing he goes to another. Crazy dog!

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM
We have no problem with him going outside (potty) he loves to but than he will also run in the house and go right in front of us. We bought him a crate and when we crate him he poops and pees all over himself. And will just lay in it like it is no big deal and than when we let him out he will go lay on the couch like it does not bother him. So we have tried the crate thing and it does not work either.

Dukieboy
November 5th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Spray it on what everything in the house. Because it is not like we know what he will chew on next. We sparyed some spray we got from the vet on the couch and he still chews on it. The thing is we never know what he is gonna chew on next. I mean he has never chewed on the stairs but when I came home last night he had chewed a big hole in the bottom stair. There is no carpet he chewed through the wood. And that is brand new carpet. So there is no way I would know what to spray because the minute I spary one thing he goes to another. Crazy dog!

No it works because they become not so eager to chew everything everytime they have the negative experience of the sour apple. Duke has done his fair share of damage and I wish I had known about the apple spray when he was much smaller. He has a thing for quilts. So after the last one went I bought the apple stuff. He had started on a new one and had worked out a wee bit of the stuffing. Well, I sprayed that wee bit and he hasn't chewed the quilt since. Not that quilt or any other quilt in the house so it seems they can apply the negative experience to other situations on thier own. I have had to spray my couch, bed and futon. He knows the word "no" and "not allowed" so we reinforce with shoes when we are home, otherwise, everything goes up. Hats, shoes, boots. Dogs like to chew. I think when you get a puppy you have to be prepare for some loss/damage. If I had to do it over I would have put a few things in storage till he grew a little.

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM
How big was the crate?

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I will go out and get him some sour apple stuff tonight and start to spray things in the house. :crazy: We will see how this goes.

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 11:37 AM
How big was the crate?

It was big enough that he could stand up and turn around. They told me not to get it to big where he has extra room because he will go to the bathroom in half and stay in the other half.

Dukieboy
November 5th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I will go out and get him some sour apple stuff tonight and start to spray things in the house. :crazy: We will see how this goes.
Be carefull with it, it really is gross. I inhaled some of it, I know why it works. Yucky!!

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Can I smell it I mean when I spary it all over my house will my house smell bad?

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 11:44 AM
If that is the case, I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully Lucky will be able to answer this one.

Dukieboy
November 5th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Can I smell it I mean when I spary it all over my house will my house smell bad?

No its just that it is a mist and I inhaled some while spraying.

The other thing I have started doing with Duke is "good boy with a toy" when I see him chewing heartily on one of his toys. I am hoping this will help him make the destinction between what is ok to chew and what isn't.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2004, 12:30 PM
I have no answer either.:( We know that all puppies chew, and mess in the house if they are not being watched. But this sounds WAY beyond what anyone would consider normal behavior.

We bought him a crate and when we crate him he poops and pees all over himself. And will just lay in it like it is no big deal

It sounds like this dog was either raised in a puppy mill, or some other place where he had no choice but to soil his bed and consequently has absolutely no instinct to keep his surroundings clean. Putting him in a small crate is not going to change this and will actually make it worse, since this behavior is being reinforced.

Any housetraining will have to be done in very small steps. Can you gate him in a bathroom when you are out? Put some papers all over the floor and start from the beginning as though he were a tiny puppy. Gradually make the paper area smaller and smaller, and hopefully he will continue to go only on the papers. Perhaps then you can make the transition to outdoors. Here is an article on house soiling: HERE (http://www.petco.com/pet_care_article.asp?webt=0&tab=&categoryID=2&pettype=1&articleID=2355)

I really think you should first have him thoroughly checked out by the vet, if you have done so. He could have a physical or neurological problem, since the chewing sounds seriously obsessive and not like normal puppy chewing.

BUT, the fact that you buy him "a million toys" may be part of the problem. YOu can read about it HERE (http://www.inch.com/~dogs/chewing.html) Of course, you cannot leave him loose in the house. He may be calmer if he is confined.

Having a consultation with a behaviorist would be a good idea too and may give you some insight on this. I know someone who used a behaviorist in TO and said she was very good. If you like, I can try and get her name.

I'm just trying to think of anything that may help and really don't know what to tell you.:(

goldenblaze
November 5th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Honestly, my Lab was the same. He could not be left in the house for ten mintues without doing something bad. It was so bad that we never left him alone, he had babysetters when we had to leave him or the house was like a wind strom when we got home. Sofa, bed, blakets my God everything in my house oh wood work he really loved. Good luck hope you can stop him and enjoy him as you should be. He is so lucky to have you please don't give up on him. :(

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Thank you all for ALL your help. Lucky I will try putting him in the bathroom and see how that goes. He hates to be locked in one place. I am not sure totally what his background is. I do know that when we got him he was so afraid of males all males. The lady said that it would take a little while and he would be fine. And he is now okay with most males not all but alot of them. So it kind of makes me think someone was mean to him or something. I know that when I am like Charming no that is bad he is so scared. And I am not even yelling at him. So we do not even show that we are upset because he is so scared and than will wet all over himself. I love him so much I want to help him just do not know how. Lucky you can give me that persons name you were talking about. We have taken him to the vet and everything is fine the vet is not sure why he is doing this. Thanks again for all your help. We will figure something out.

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Honestly, my Lab was the same. He could not be left in the house for ten mintues without doing something bad. It was so bad that we never left him alone, he had babysetters when we had to leave him or the house was like a wind strom when we got home. Sofa, bed, blakets my God everything in my house oh wood work he really loved. Good luck hope you can stop him and enjoy him as you should be. He is so lucky to have you please don't give up on him. :(

Oh Goldenblaze I am not gonna give up on him they are our babies. I just know that there is some reason this is going on and I want to figure this out. Because this is not our house we are living in and I can not keep letting him tear it up or we are all going to be in trouble. And I mean we had to buy new carpet and furniture and now we need more.

goldenblaze
November 5th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Oh Goldenblaze I am not gonna give up on him they are our babies. I just know that there is some reason this is going on and I want to figure this out. Because this is not our house we are living in and I can not keep letting him tear it up or we are all going to be in trouble. And I mean we had to buy new carpet and furniture and now we need more.

Again I do know how you feel, we replaces alot of things too. I know your won't give up that is why you have this doggie, he needed your more than you know. :)

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Okay Lucky I have read and printed your sites you gave me. I am gonna go home and get rid of some of the toys and only allow him to play with a few. He loves to play with some of his toys but he tears most of them up so they only last about a week at the most. He even had a red kong and he chewed it up. I tears up tennis balls like they are nothing. It is crazy how strong he is. I have never seen a puppy that is that strong and he is only 7mts old.

I do have another question. Is he to big to put in a crate now? I mean if not I can start that all over and try from scratch. He is so big, for still being a puppy and the vet said he is not ready to stop growing yet.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2004, 01:16 PM
O.K. so it sounds like this dog suffered abuse and/or neglect and he is fearful and a submissive urinator.

Dogs like this need a very structured life with a calm and confident pack leader (YOU), which is why I said he should never be loose in the house for now. A timid, fearful, or shy dog should not be given all that space as it overwelms him, makes him anxious at all the choices he has so he probably power-chews to comfort himself.

He needs to know exactly what is going to happen to him, until he gets some confidence built up. If he hasn't been to obedience school, take him.

Never scold or punish him. If you see him do something he should not, make an "AH AH!" noise and immediately redirect him and then praise him for doing right. Example - you see him start to chew the table leg - "AH AH" just to get his attention and instantly stick a bone in his mouth and praise him for taking it.

If you come home and there is a mess, do not scold him. Take him right outside and praise if he goes. Do not let him see you clean up the mess.

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I just remembered that we had a dog that chewed up all her toys before. What we did, we went to a bakery, and asked for a plastic pail ( they use them for bakery filling ) and a lid. We gave the lid to Lucy for a frisbee. The plastic was too tough for her to chew through, and we used the pail for a toy box for her.

I don't think it is ever too late to start using the crate. Cano is 9 months, and he is still crated at night and when we are out.

Princesss04
November 5th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Okay thanks Lucky, you mean do not let him see me clean up the mess inside. If that is the case can I ask why? I mean that is fine and I will not let him just kind fo curios.