Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Performatrin

Shaykeija
November 4th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Any thoughts on the dog food named Performatrin? It's sold in Pet Value. I haven't seen any on the Wellness products in the pet stores here. I live in Sudbury. My dogs really like it but I would like to hear if anyone else has used it. The little :evil: "s I have won't eat dry food alone. Missie refuses all kibbles except what she can steal from the cat. Sophie will eat kibble only if it is mixed with canned food. Fussy little dogs that they are. Thanks all..

crazyontrt
November 4th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Hi!

I'm in Toronto, moving to Sudbury in 3 weeks! I've heard of Performatrin, I've heard it's okay, not nearly as good as Wellness, which is what I feed my 1 year old GSD. What kind of dog do you have? I checked the old mother hubbard website (makers of wellness) it says that the Pet Food Warehouse on Lasalle and on Regent Street carry their products. Let me know if you find it. This is the only food my little monster will eat!! Also do you know of any good off leash areas to run my dog in Sudbury, preferably ones that are enclosed? Thanks a million!

GsdDiamond
November 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
I'm feeding my dog a couple of different types of food. Fromm (any that doesn't contain chicken), and Perforatrin. It's a great food!! They use human grade ingredients and my dog just goes Ape over it!

I highly recommend Performatrin as the poops have been cut down dramatically since she started eating it. Seeing as she's currently eating a chicken free diet, when you're dealing with a dog such as mine, you're kind of limited with options.

I wish I knew about Wellness before. Now I'll have to do some research on their ingredients list. Thanks for mentioning it! It'll be nice to give her a bit of variety.

Shaykeija
November 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Hey Crazy I donot know of any off leash parks here in Sudbury. Most people just take their dogs to abandoned school yards and let their dogs go there. In Sudbury, I find that the locals don't poop n scoop and leashes are some times a rarity. :eek: The only really nice park we have here is Ramsey Lake and your fur kid has (or supposed to be) on a leash. I sure hope you have only one or two dogs, because here in hooter ville the bylaw states only 2 dogs and cats per residence. What a crock of pigeon poop.Any way welcome to Sudbury, the land of really strange by laws and an invisible Mayor.

Shaykeija
November 4th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Sorry Crazy I have a Shih Tzu ( Sophie ) :angel: and Missie a terri-poo :evil: and Piper the cat who's one :cool: dude.

crazyontrt
November 4th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Did you find wellness there? I went to Ramsey Lake when we visited Sudbury. It was absolutely beautiful, and Maxx LOVED it. He was running in the lake having on heck of a time! I saw the by-law about only 2 dogs....kinda silly if you ask me. I only have one fur kid though, and we're thinking about getting another. Are people in Sudbury pretty dog friendly? I found alot of people in Toronto afraid of larger breed dogs, and ignorance really gets to me!!!

Karen

MBRA518
November 5th, 2004, 11:25 AM
I highly recommend Performatrin as the poops have been cut down dramatically since she started eating it. Seeing as she's currently eating a chicken free diet, when you're dealing with a dog such as mine, you're kind of limited with options.

Yup me too - I've been feeding Performatrin ULTRA though. It's great - less poop... much less hair and my Rosie has way more energy - which is saying something for an 8 yr old Rottie :D

I would recommend the Ultra over the regular - but both are good foods.

Shaykeija
November 5th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Hey Crazy. I found the wellness. It is at Pet Food Warehouse on Lasalle blvd.

crazyontrt
November 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Great! Thanks for letting me know!

sue fox
November 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM
My sister just started her female springer on Performatrin Lamb and Rice, due to allergies she wants to see if this will help. She has already noticed less poos, and is eating less, just started last wk. I think when Scottie is finished his bag and closer to being done puppy will also be feeding the same. We'll see.

maddiva
November 8th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Hi!

Performatrin ultra is an excellent food. I myself, like to give variety to my dogs. We as humans do not like to eat the same dam thing all the time why would our dogs. Any of the all natural dogs food are good. Right now I'm giving my dogs the nutro ultra which is a new food that nutro came out with. They absolutely love it!!!!

Has anyone ever tried making some dog food? Once a week I make my babies what I call Goulash. I boil brown rice, white rice, regular ground beef, sardines, some veggies (carrots, broc) and 2 eggs. I let it all cook together until the water is gone. They sit around the pot as it cooks. :crazy: How can you beat a home cooked meal?

Sometimes, I have to laugh at all the thought that we put into buying dog food. Whatever happened to Alpo and Dog Chow. Everybody used to feed it there pets years ago and had good long living healthy dogs.

leolvr
November 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone I am new to this list as of today. I was looking around and saw the thread on Performatrin. Well that makes me feel welcome reading all the nice things you had to say. I own a Pet Valu Store in Scarborough :-) I also breed Leonbergers. I love to meet and talk to other pet owners.

There is a big difference in regualr Performatrin and Perfom Ultra. The Perform Ultra can go up against any of the holistic foods on the market right now. It is made with only fresh natural ingredients. I am not a lover of many grains in a diet. the way the grains are utilized in the Perform is great. They are only whole grains and not grain fractions eg. corn gluten meal ,rice flowr etc. Fresh and lamb meal give it one of the highest meat ratios in dog food.

Wellness is also a good choice although a lot of dogs done like it because it is baked and that seems ot throw them off. If they like it great!!

The New Nutro Ultra looks good also. We also carry that. So I hope you guys dont mind me jumping in here.
:D

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Wellness is excellent food,but extremely over-priced....I was kind of happy my cats did not like it :D I always check the ingredients and you can get "humane grade"very good food for half the price of Wellness.
I pay premium price for my cat-food,canned or dry,but paying $20+for a bag of wellness,when I get CSFPLS for $13 all the same ingredients,except Wellness uses sweet-potato instead of reg potato,does not make sense.We all want what is best for our animals and a little research will really open your eyes.

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Leolvr,forgive my dog-ignorance,but what is a Leonberger??? sounds like something to eat :D

leolvr
November 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Hi Chico

A leonberger is a giant breed dog. they originated form Germany. they were bred to look like the lion on the coat of arms in Leonberg.

What is the name of the food you used letters for :-) Heck I can't figure out which one you were talking aobut LOL

Lori

GsdDiamond
November 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Hi and welcome!
I love your dogs! They look so soft and cuddly, yet something I would not want to piss off. :eek:

Shaykeija
November 24th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Can I blow up a picture and post it at my front door. :p Attention all who contemplate breaking in..This maybe sitting on the other side of the door you are about to kick in. LOL Nice looking dog. Right now we have a sign up in the house, telling them we have a silent alarm. Please donot harm the animals, take what you want we are over insured. I worry what would happen to Missie and Sophie if someone was to break in. A Sih Tzu and a Terri poo wouldn't stand a chance.

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Leolvr,wow,wonderful dogs!! CSFCLS stands for Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul...it's made by a company in Texas for dogs,cats,kittens and puppies.
It is not available in stores like Pet-Smart,I've checked,or Pet-Value...
The store I buy if from is a big family-owned store...my cats love it and it has all the right ingredients.you can check it out at..
www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com

leolvr
November 24th, 2004, 09:12 PM
You would not be able t rob my house because you would be licked and slurped and sat on. Leos are not the best watch dogs in the world ;) I am glad they are big and imposing but not mean. I take them to the store with me. Of course not all together that would leave no room for customers!!

As for the Chicken soup. My brain could not get aorund the letters :-) I was going to be the first person in Canada carrying it , but I held off for awhile. We had introduced to many foods in the past year. It will be in our store in the new year. Along with another freezer with 2 new raw diets.

We carry a lot of holistic foods and supplements. I do l;ike Chicken soup it is a good food. Dogs and cats seem to enjoy it also. Great choice

Bearsmom
November 24th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Sudbury's my hometown!

If you want, try the area around Laurentian University, the athletic fields aren't too bad...also lots of trails around there.

At the west end of Sudbury, if you're near Long Lake and drive past Sunnyside Drive, there's a ton of gravel roads (my parents live back in that area) and it's gorgeous, just watch out for the wildlife.

Bear tried Performatrim, and he gets a tonne of hotspots from any natural foods. Now he's on the cheap-o walmart brand and we haven't had a problem since.

chico2
November 24th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Leolvr,if you get it in your Pet Value,maybe the Pet Value close to me will get it too.I drive about 40min to my favourite store,but also because I get birds-seeds in great big bags and peanuts,corn on the cob for my squirrels and other critters.
Our Pet Value currently has 9 cats in the store,owned by a homeless woman living in a van.

leolvr
November 25th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Leolvr,if you get it in your Pet Value,maybe the Pet Value close to me will get it too.

It really depends on your store. I do a lot of outside purchases. Which means I carry a lot of things most pet valus do not carry. If your store buys things other then what Pet Valu brings in then maybe you can talk them into it.

Most PV's do not carry raw foods. I was the first one. I think there are 3 others that carry it now. We have always been involved with natural products. We are a ways form you though. We are in Scarborough ;)

The Perform Ultra is a great food you should ahve a look at it. Compare the labels you will be surprised. I am not talking aobut regular perform jsut the Ultra. Plus it is less expensive :-) Is anyone going to the whole health expo this weekend? I will be there on Sunday with PV so drop by and say hi.

Lori

Bearsmom
November 25th, 2004, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=leolvr]Hi Chico

A leonberger is a giant breed dog. they originated form Germany. they were bred to look like the lion on the coat of arms in Leonberg.

Here is my webpage What is the name of the food you used letters for :-) Heck I can't figure out which one you were talking aobut LOL

Lori
Those are absolutely the most beautiful dogs!!!!

MBRA518
November 26th, 2004, 11:29 AM
The Perform Ultra is a great food you should ahve a look at it. Compare the labels you will be surprised. I am not talking aobut regular perform jsut the Ultra. Plus it is less expensive :-) Is anyone going to the whole health expo this weekend? I will be there on Sunday with PV so drop by and say hi.

Lori

Thats what I found when I did my research... I just bought Rosie a bag of the new Chicken P.U. She seems to love that too.

I noticed on your site that you have horses too... what kind, what do you do with them?

I have 2 paints... one retired to trails and the other will be my up and coming barrel horse.

leolvr
November 26th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Thats what I found when I did my research... I just bought Rosie a bag of the new Chicken P.U. She seems to love that too.

I noticed on your site that you have horses too... what kind, what do you do with them?

I have 2 paints... one retired to trails and the other will be my up and coming barrel horse.

I have been showing hunters for a long time. I did not show last summer or probably not this summer either. My kids are taking up to much of my free time :rolleyes: I may breed one or two this year though. I used to do western whe0n I was a kid loved doing the games at the fairs.

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Leolvr just wanted to tell you how beautiful your dog is my OEM has a female Leonberger pal. You don't see a lot of them around they have such a wonderful temperment

leolvr
November 26th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Those are absolutely the most beautiful dogs!!!!

Thank you I think they are pretty special also :thumbs up

leolvr
November 26th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Leolvr just wanted to tell you how beautiful your dog is my OEM has a female Leonberger pal. You don't see a lot of them around they have such a wonderful temperment

thats great do you know the dogs name. There are only 3 breeders in Ontario and I know pretty much all the leos that are out there :-) So it woudl be great to know who it is and if I kow them

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 02:29 PM
The dogs name is pekoe and she lives around high park and she is close to a year old a little younger

leolvr
November 26th, 2004, 02:43 PM
The dogs name is pekoe and she lives around high park and she is close to a year old a little younger
Pekoe is a daughter of my Hannah :) She is a sweet dog. She was stepped on by mom when she was one day old so has a deformed foot. She could not have gone to better people then Linda and Ray. They adore her. Linda's feelings get hurt though when people comment on her foot. sometimes I wish I had just kept her. Pekoe has the sweetest face and when you meet her you forget all aobut her injury. She can certainly run and jump. She plays with my allmost 2 yr old girl and they both fly around here. What a small world!!

mastifflover
November 26th, 2004, 02:48 PM
That is too funny I know people always say ohh poor pekoe. She is great and she is so funny. Linda use to be in the park and pekoe would not want to walk anymore then she would see Buddy and run like what me tired no way. Linda and Ray are really nice next time you see them ask them about buddy and pekoe she always cleans his drool for him you know how messy boys can be.

wAggie
November 27th, 2004, 10:37 PM
leolvr, thanx for ur review.

I appreciated it. :thumbs up

leolvr
November 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
That is too funny I know people always say ohh poor pekoe. She is great and she is so funny. Linda use to be in the park and pekoe would not want to walk anymore then she would see Buddy and run like what me tired no way. Linda and Ray are really nice next time you see them ask them about buddy and pekoe she always cleans his drool for him you know how messy boys can be.

I think I may have seen a picture of Buddy. Unless she plays with more then one mastiff. Never fails these poor girls have to clean up after the boys ;)

Same as around here. Bogie drops his food as he walks and Hannah walks behind him cleaning it up!!

oops sorry to anyone following this we have certainly gotten off the subject of performatin. So again if anyone is going ot the whole life Expo drop by and say hi to me today. I am getting ready to leave and do my time !! I lvoe meeting all the people.

leolvr
November 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM
leolvr, thanx for ur review.

I appreciated it. :thumbs up

No problem. I ee you live in Toronto. Drop by my store sometime and I will give you a couple of samples to try :D

I see you wrote you are Polish, so is my husband :-)

pitbulliest
November 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I used to feed my dog wellness but now I even found a better food. Its called Timberwolf Organics. Its very high in protein (well they do have a lower protein type as well)...the protein level varies. I believe one of the flavors from Timberwolf has 34% protein. This is excellent if you've got an underweight dog or a dog that exercises ALOT...

The food is very expensive though and hard to find in Canada. One store in Oakville, ON sells it and that's the only one in like..the province lol.
I think it cost me 50 bux for a medium sized bag. My dogs love it though, including my kibble wary Chihuahua. Plus, you don't have to feed alot since its very high in quality...for example with a **** brand like Iams, you'd have to feed about 3 cups to a 55lb dog? With this, my 55lb pittie gets 3/4 of a cup and I"ll throw in a tablespoon of yoghurt...its great if anyone wants to take a look at it.

They also carry a line of food for cats as well :)

http://www.timberwolforganics.com/

chico2
November 28th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Pitbulliest,would that store be Ren's Petdepot on Trafalgar/Burnhampthorpe rd??? That is the only store that sold me a bird-bath-heater,I know,people hink I am a nut-case,but the birds have drinking water even the coldest of days. I've been going to that store for years,they carry everything you could ever want for your dog/cat etc....It's a family business and prices are great compared to other stores. Sorry for rambling,I cannot say enough about that store and the people working there :thumbs up

wAggie
November 28th, 2004, 08:53 PM
No problem. I ee you live in Toronto. Drop by my store sometime and I will give you a couple of samples to try :D

I see you wrote you are Polish, so is my husband :-)

hehehehehe, where's ur store located?

oscar13
December 16th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Interested in others feedback as well. I found this site:

www.performatrinultra.com.

Its got the ingredients and stuff listed as well as some stories about pets on it. Sounds good but I would like to hear from others who have been using it.

chico2
December 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I tried Performatrin Ultra and my cats would not eat it :mad: it's going to HS,so I'll stick with their "Chicken-soup-for-cat-lovers-soul",they love it!!

wAggie
December 16th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Interested in others feedback as well. I found this site:

www.performatrinultra.com.

Its got the ingredients and stuff listed as well as some stories about pets on it. Sounds good but I would like to hear from others who have been using it.

I dont see a list of ingredients.........

it's like the 10% of 100 various herbs they put into the Nutrience Supreme, eh? :thumbs up

lilcatdog
September 3rd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Hi all.came across this site was doing some research on Technical And Performatrin,was told that Performatrin is Technical and that Pet value just adds their name to it,havent come across the information yet.Anyways,I own a small shepard cross I got her when she was 1 past owners were feeding her gains burger,make along story short I started her on Performatrin sheba is now 17 years old and is still active,starting to go deaf,shes gets hot spots very often, along with human food and performatrin I believe this is the reason for longivity. My cat I also started on performatrin,the cat was never sick,I ran out of performatrin and couldnt make it to the store I borrowed some whiskis cat food and purchased her normal food a few days later,my cat refused to eat performatrin refused to eat whiskis chicken tuna and even refused water.Unfortunatly I had to put her down some time later she had went to being a perfectly healthy feline to being in the high stages of diabietes.I have now gotten a 4 month old lab/boxer she was on science diet just my personal opinion I have her on Performatrin Puppy food
Lilcatdog

phoenix
September 3rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
welcome!
this is a very old thread, you may want to start your own for an introduction.

I have a lab/boxer mix as well! I'd love to see pictures.

faithbringshope
April 2nd, 2007, 03:38 AM
:cat: I have changed over to performatrim ultra New Zeland Lamb formula and my cats really liked it. My one cat had started obsessivly licking and scratching himself to the point he has spots with no fur and his skin was starting to get sores. since I change over his fur has been growing back in and the obsessive licking has tremedously decreased. I just need to be able to find a canned formaula that is the same as he eats a small portion of wet food as well as the kibble. I can't seem to find the ultra lamb in a can and have a very difficult time finding canned food in other brands as well. I did find a small can in eagles formula that was duck but I was told it would be discontinued. I have seen the regular perforatrin in a Turkey formula and I am trying it right now but by mistake also got the salmon and didn't realize there was poultry in it so my cat has started licking a bit again. I have a Pomeranian also and when his other food is gone I have a bag of the performatrin ultra waiting for him. I was glad that I have changed over also because of the poison scare found in many of the foods. Performatrin doesn't use the ingrediant wheat glutin and is safe from contamination, thank God. Also to the person that made a post and was wondering about why they use sweet potatoe rather then regular, I read on the performatrin web site this...Cold or flu-like symptoms may be seen, like sneezing and runny nose. Sweet potatoes offer valuable beta carotene to help fight respiratory infections.
enjoy your pets everyone.

faithbringshope
April 2nd, 2007, 03:47 AM
Wellness is excellent food,but extremely over-priced....I was kind of happy my cats did not like it :D I always check the ingredients and you can get "humane grade"very good food for half the price of Wellness.
I pay premium price for my cat-food,canned or dry,but paying $20+for a bag of wellness,when I get CSFPLS for $13 all the same ingredients,except Wellness uses sweet-potato instead of reg potato,does not make sense.We all want what is best for our animals and a little research will really open your eyes.
read this at the perforatrin site. my cats love that food and has completely stopped alergic reaction using the New Zeland Lamb formula. hope this helps.
Cold or flu-like symptoms may be seen, like sneezing and runny nose. Sweet potatoes offer valuable beta carotene to help fight respiratory infections.

SofieMaximGirl
December 17th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Just wanted to drop in and say hello as I am new to this forum. I have a 14 week old Yellow Labrador Retriever and her name is Sofie. In September of this year we lost our Black Lab Max of 16 years and adding Sofie to our family certainly help to ease the pain of our loss. We love the breed. Sofie had a rough start and was diagnosed with colitis at 7 weeks of age....she was on medication and special food for a few weeks then the hunt for a decent food was on. I tried many with no luck ( too many bowl movements, extemely loose stool, vomiting and simply not liking the taste)....last week I discovered Performatrin and it is a miracle....within 48 hours her stools are nice, no vomiting and she loves the taste. I had her on the Wellness which is an excellent food but it was too rich for her sensitive stomach but the Performatrin seems to be doing the trick. I catch my cat sneaking some kibbles from Sofie's dish now and then ( My cat Riley is on Wellness and doing very well). Have a great day all!!!

Lizalyn
August 3rd, 2014, 02:20 PM
We have a 3 year old Maine Coon cat who developed dingleberries earlier this year lol. At the time, we were feeding him Costco cat food. After doing a lot of research, we switched him to Performatrin Grain Free Duck formula and it has done absolute wonders for him. No more dingleberries as his stool is firm and there's less of it, he takes a lot longer to eat and is just healthier all around. We just got our shepard/lab, Charlie, who's 10 weeks and was being fed Puppy Chow. We're already working to switch her to Performatrin grain free Puppy. It's the only brand we'll feed our fur babies.

Longblades
August 4th, 2014, 08:23 AM
wAggie, the ingredient lists are there but you have to dig around a bit to find them. Note that this thread is nearly 10 years old. Unless you want to feed the food yourself I think it's a pretty safe bet the OP made a decision long ago. :) Plus, the ingredient list has likely changed in 10 years.