Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird cat habit

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM
My Pumba cat is really odd, he has many habits that are unusual, such as drinking from the sink (by allowing water to run off his head) to kneading my back. But whenever he wants to eat he comes to get me or my boyfriend, mews and makes us follow him back to his food bowl, were he expects to have his back pet while he eats????!!!!! He will not eat while we are home if we dont keep him company.....while we are gone though he eats alone (or maybe he waits for his girlfriend Sasha before he eats?) Anybody have any explanation for this behavior? Im just curious if their is a reason, such as cats who kneads are said to have been taken away from their mom too early)

Thanks in advance
Vicky

shihtzulover
November 4th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I also have a cat that does the same thing. We found her as a stray kitten, she will not eat unless we pet her. I do think she was taken from her mom early as her and her 2 brothers were found very young and alone. I think she just likes reassurance that its okay to eat. Where did you get your cat?

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I rescued him from a farm. I had gone horseback riding north of Montreal and while getting the horses back into their stables, there was a little room off to the right and my eye caught a small cage full of cream coloured kittens.....they were all on top of each other cause they were like 12 of them in a tiny cage. I went closer to find that they all had eye infections and could not open their eyes cause they were crusted shut. I cried, right there and then on the spot.....my boyfriend brought me back to reality just in time before the ogre of an owner noticed me....and I managed to save one cat....but there has been many a nights where I wonder what became of the rest and how I shoulda, coulda done more :(

Lucky Rescue
November 4th, 2004, 10:38 AM
I've had many cats who have done all those things. None of these behaviors are unusual at all. Sounds "normal" to me - for a cat! :p

Every cat I've had has tried to lead me to the food bowl if I walk anywhere in the vicinity of the kitchen.

Kneading may be because a kitten was taken from mom too early, or not. Some cats just enjoy it.

Your cat has trained you to sit and pet him while he eats. Put his food down and walk away. He won't starve himself.

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 10:43 AM
I find all of his habits adorable and he has become my most cherished pet of all time....I was just looking to see if there were any known reasons behind his actions....he doesnt starve himself (trust me the "thump" he makes when he jumps onto something assures me off that) nor do I consider any of these habits a problem, just for the record. In fact, I would be sad if he stopped. Its just I find it unusual cause I've had cats since I was a kid and none of them did the things he does :)

GsdDiamond
November 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I used to know someone who had a Manx with a VERY demanding personality. If you stopped petting him before HE was ready, watch out. Cats seem to want what they want, when they want it, so you'd better want it too!

His habits sound absolutely adoreable! My parent's cat lies on the floor, next to her food bowl....just within paw's reach. She scoops out a kibble, drags it accross the floor to her mouth until she can stick her tongue out and grab it. She'll do this for a while until she gets tired of eating. Silly cat with strange habits!

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Thats hysterical!! I've never seen a cat eat like that.
Whats also cute is that our 2nd cat Sasha sees Pumba doing all these things and eventually she does it too except with a twist. For example, rather then letting the water flow off her head and drink it on the way down, she prefers a dripping tap and she dampens her paw and licks the water off. I can watch animals all day long....too bad no one is willing to pay me for it :D

But a great thing.....Pumba used to beat up on Sasha when they were kittens. Now, after 2 years of mild abuse from him, she has become very tuff and has now become hunter #1 of the household

squarejane
November 4th, 2004, 10:59 AM
sounds like an awesome cat you have there. i love the wacky behaviours of cats... it's what truly makes them cats. mine likes to stand on my head in the middle of the night and eat my hair. she gets really posessed looking if i try to stop her. be thankfull that your pumba has some slightly more endearing habits :D

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Oh yeah, you gotta love the night hawks lol....my boyfriends mom has a cat that suckles the "excess" skin on her neck in the middle of the night....and she lets her!

chico2
November 4th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Just about every cat has his/her habits and it sticks with them forever,whatever they can get us to do for them,you'll have to do for the rest of their lives....
My three all have different eating-spots and they insist or they won't eat...kneading is also part of being a cat,can be painful sometimes if you are the kneading-object...but oooooh so cute....

lilith_rizel
November 4th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Sir William, the cat my family owns back home, dips his paw in his water dish, and licks it off. 99% of the time he does this until he isn't thirsty anymore. I think that it is cute. He also jumps in the bath tub, and waits for you to turn on the water just a bit. And his favorite napping place is the bathroom sink. But you had best not turn the water on while he is sleeping, or he will be mad at you for the rest of the day!

VickyK
November 4th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Oh my cat does that too! He sleeps in the sink.......and likes to lick the toothpaste if any should remain anywhere on the sink before he sits down cause he is such a neat freak...i try and always clean it but with a man and child in the house, im not always on top of it.

P.s. Lilith I love your quote

anniebananie
November 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM
One of my cats does this. He's my *Peter Pan* cat and hates eating on his own. He either has to be stroked to start him eating or he waits till another of the cats goes to eat. He lies down to drink out of the water bowl...digging at the same time with his front feet. Oh, and he also likes to sleep on his back with his paws over his nose :p

lilith_rizel
November 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks, I came up with it after hearing how people are saying that rotties, and pit bulls are bad breeds. I feel for those guys. Poor creatures, don't even get a chance half the time.