Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

heeler's rock! and others...your help is needed

Iggette
November 4th, 2004, 06:31 AM
This post is directed at those who work with multiple dogs.....I need help!!

I have been job hunting for sometime now to find the right job, I haven't had a real fulltime job in some years due to looking after my parents when they were ill etc....(long story).

So I finally found what I consider my "DREAM JOB". I haven't got the job yet but on November 11th I am going for a trial shift....the job is being sought by another girl as well so between her and I someone will get this job permantly as of November 12th.....( :thumbs up Please god let it be me....lol)

The job in question?.........CAMP COUNSELOR.....(well thats what I call it....lol) at a doggy day camp.

This is the kind of job I have been dreaming of.... working in the best enviroment possible....with the dogs.

I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips or tricks in working with multiple dogs that could give me the edge in securing this job. I have already had an interveiw with both the Owner and Manager of this establishment, they are really nice wonderful people.....I would love to work for ( I guess they thought the same of me....hence the trial shift :love: )

Any thoughts would be happily appreciated ;)

Iggette
November 4th, 2004, 09:08 AM
P.S. No treats can be involved as the Day Camp does not allow them....leads to fights and alfa problems etc..... :sad:

Iggette
November 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
uhhhh bump

heeler's rock!
November 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hey Iggette! Congrats on the possible new job! I hear ya when it comes to money, you have to do what's best for you and if you love what you do, it's not really work! That sounds like an awesome job! :D

I'm not totally sure what kind of info. you're looking for. Do you just wanna know how to handle a group of dogs? What to do around them? How to maintain your Alpha status? If you ask me about stuff you'd like to know about, I can give you a better answer than just a generalization. :D

mastifflover
November 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
I think the best thing is to go in to the situation with the attitude that you are the top dog and make them all sit down and meet each one and just let them know you will take no poop from them. Then once they know you are alpha then you can play and interact with them. Do not sit on the floor with them or get down to their level that means you are the same as them. In a large group you could be considered lesser than them if you sit down especially if there are large dogs who would then be standing over you and then they would think they are top dog. By the way you will do great I hope the job is yours after you dazzle them with your skills. You are really knowledgable about dogs you will do great I think just go in with confidence and it will be yours.

heeler's rock!
November 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Good point Mastiff. The one thing all new dogs I get do is challenge me to see what I'll let them get away with. They'll push the envelope, so just be sure to be strong when handling that. Be assertive and get as much info. on the dog you can beforehand. It's always good to know what tendencies they have and what training, if any, the clients are doing. You also have to remember that dogs are pack animals, so there may be some commotion going on at first when all the dogs are there. Most of the time they'll sort it out themselves. You'll know when they're establishing their role in the pack, or if they're just starting a fight. Watch their body language, especially their tails to tell. Don't break it up unless they are getting nasty. I hope this helps and feel free to ask anything you are unsure of! :D

Iggette
November 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Awwww thanks guys, I knew ya wouldn't let me down....you rock :crazy:

I will explain as best I can:

Ok So here is the deal, I have been around dogs all my life but I really only got to know my own dogs really well, I got to know what certain things meant when they did certain things, but these things dont always apply to all dogs.
I have on several occasions looked after multiple dogs, but, in these situations the dogs knew me and when they were at my home they knew I was boss. ( they also knew Ursa was the alpha dog with no debate) My girlfriends dogs (4 black labs) also knew me and knew I was boss when I was there and she was not. I never had any problems except perhaps with controlling Ursa when she got a little nasty with a younger dog (whose name was CJ and she learned quick to stay away from Ursa).

What I have done:

I have been doing alot of reading up on many different Breeds of dogs to get to know different breeds a little better.

Tried to study different ways to solve certain problems in general but hard to do without a certain situation to refer to.

I learned that in a situation of not knowing the dogs personally it helps to know who the alpha dog of the pack is and greet them first (which I did on my interveiw with the manager and the dogs) The alpha dog stood by me during half the interveiw he is huge looks part shepherd and was waist high :eek: very well built (and I'm no shorty at 5'9") he smelled the treats I had in my pocket (I have them on hand all the time for Buddy and forgot about them until then :o he insisted on having them but I would not allow it so he gave up eventually thank god....lol

Do you just wanna know how to handle a group of dogs? What to do around them? How to maintain your Alpha status?

These questions are perfectly along the line of things I need to know with strange dogs until they get to know me. ( with any hope this will be a possibility)

I think the best thing is to go in to the situation with the attitude that you are the top dog and make them all sit down and meet each one and just let them know you will take no poop from them

How is this done? How do you let a dog know you want to be top dog when it is a strange dog to you? (not like I can flash a badge of senoirity.....lol)

Do not sit on the floor with them or get down to their level that means you are the same as them. In a large group you could be considered lesser than them if you sit down especially if there are large dogs who would then be standing over you and then they would think they are top dog.

Good point I will avoid that.

note: There are a few dogs there that have fear aggression, they are rescue dogs one in particular is a boarder collie that was badley abused. Any hints on this? I don't want to send any mixed or confusing signals.

I want to be the best possible counselor I can be for the dogs and their owners. I want them to feel comfortable that they have left their dog in loving hands, and of course I want the dogs to love me :p but obey me as well.

How can you tell if a dog is just testing you? Is there a common behavoir?

I just want you gals to know I appretiate your help with my job quest, this is the most awesome opportunity for me as I just love animals and have thought many years about going into the field but didn't think I could deal with the saddness of dumped, sick,orphaned and euthanasia.....but alas this is the perfect chance to do what I love without the saddness and heartbreak (just don't think it is in me to deal with rescue I admire those that do greatly)

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
How can you tell if a dog is just testing you? Is there a common behavoir?

Well, dogs test everything all the time, even with their owners. For example, if you ask it to sit, and it does everything but, it's testing you to see if you mean it or not. It's also blowing you off in a sense thinking, "Why should I listen to you?" What I do is ask for a sit, and if they don't I put it into a sit by putting pressure on their bum. The only way you'll know if a dog is testing you is if it acts up with you by not listening or pulling your arm off when you're walking it.

When you first walk into a room full of dogs, stand straight and tall. Don't pet any of them right away and don't talk to them. Wait until they settle down and then greet them individually. Don't kneel down to them, just give them a quick pet and a hello. If they try to jump on you, don't let them AT ALL. If they nip you in play, let them know it's not acceptable. Make sure you have fun too, but after they settle down and don't let them jump all over you.

Are you going to be walking these dogs too? If so, how many at a time?

Reading up on different breeds of dogs is great, but don't let that be your only guideline. Most dogs carry some breed traits and characteristics, but that's not always the rule. ;)

As for the dogs with fear agression, all I can say is stay strong. It's the biggest thing for people to want to cuddle animals that are scared, but it's best to let them get to know you on their own terms and they'll come around. Just don't be too overbearing with the scared dogs when you give commands, which i don't think you will. :)

I really wish you luck with this and if any of this doesn't make sense, let me know. I hope it helps! :D