Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Age to Neuter?

sue fox
November 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
Ok everyone what age to Neuter? and does the breed matter? Some say 6mos others say it depends and could hinder hormones for a male to be neutered to soon? I'll be calling our vet next wk but what is the concensus? Scottie is a Wheaten Terrier ( medium size dog) Thanks to your response.
Sue

doggy lover
November 3rd, 2004, 08:28 PM
My last dog was neutered at 6 months and Tucker goes in on Nov. 23 he will be almost 6 and a half months. My vet recomends it at this age. The only thing my last dog never did was **** his leg and I don't think there is a problem with that.

Writing4Fun
November 3rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
I've actually read (I think it was on this board :confused: ) that the whole "don't neuter too early or it might stunt his growth" thing is a myth. I could be wrong, though. ;)

My personal opinion is that you should spay/neuter as early as your vet will allow. Good luck! :thumbs up

GsdDiamond
November 4th, 2004, 10:23 AM
To my knowledge:

Most Vets won't neuter a dog until both testicles have dropped. If this happens at an early age, then so be it. If they don't drop until months down the road...again, so be it. I've been told this is to ensure that both testicles are healthy.

mastifflover
November 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
The thing about not neutering early applies mostly to giant breeds and it has to do with their developement they grow slower and dont reach maturity till they are 2.5 -3 years old so they reccommend neuter at 18 months and spay at 12-18 months. This is not an issue with other size dogs. I would say around 6 months

goldenblaze
November 4th, 2004, 07:14 PM
This is what happen with Jordie, I made the appointment for his neuter at 6 months and when we went and our Vet realized only one testicle had dropped ( common in this bred). With the advice of our Vet who we trust told us we should wait to see if it does drop on its own but only wait until the pup is 1 yr. At 1 yr still not dropped then it won't. She told me that there is a cord that the testicles must pass through to drop, after 1 yr it closes off so it is impossible for it to drop after that. Jordie was neutered at 1 yr, it was a longer surgery they must also go inside above his peepee and they are feeling the pain much more then a normal neuter and alot more $$$. I felt sorry for him but a dog with only one testicle down must be neutered, it causes many helth issues later in life if lefted alone. Now also this is common in Shih Tzu's and though some say it is bad breeding it is just the case.
This has happen with both Shih Tzu's that I have had and the breeders were great, one was from the USA and the other right here in my town.
Anyway most Vets neuter at 6 months, Blaze was done at 6 months no problems was back to normal the next day.

sue fox
November 4th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your response. This is our second male and our ****apoo only had one testicle as this dog was passed around and was many yrs ago I can't remember when he was neutered. Scottie will be due in a few wks and I've noticed not both testicles have dropped yet so we'll see.
So I'll call next wk. Thanks again, this is about what I expected. :thumbs up

doggy lover
November 25th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I got Tucker back last night he is doing fine. They said he would be sleepy, yeah right they don't know Tucker the ADHD border collie. He is a LITTLE quieter today though, plays awile and sleeps awile.

matt
March 19th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I would agree with NOT neutering LARGE BREEDS until 18 months- 24 months. You absolutely can see the difference in a large breed dog that has been neutered young. They appear more "leggy" and do not seem to fill out the same. I can only speak really for German Shepherds. The dog needs the hormones as they mature. Once they reach sexual maturity then snip away. :thumbs up

SnowDancer
March 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Our Eskimo was neutered at 7 months - he is a mini/standard - 11 1/2 months old now and weighs 19 lbs. and holding (for now). Vet suggested the 7 months point when he was about 4 months.

topaz_n29
March 19th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I have had 3 labs..am on my second sheperd..and various other breeds..while living in the country here. They were all done at 7 mos. i have never had a prob w/any of them..lucky?..lol
My dogs past all lived to ripe old ages..and the 4 i have now..1 is 15yrs. and 1 is 12..are doing great..so i really don't know what else to say..i guess what works for me i will keep doing :grouphug:

Prin
March 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
My newf pointer mix was fixed at 6 months and I don't think it affected his "filling out". He is 96lbs and is very muscular, chesty and broad. I think if you get a dog fixed at 24 months, you loose the effect of the castration completely. There is a dobie at our park that was done at 2 and he still humps everything that moves and he is so not filled out even now, at 3.

I think "filling out" is a genetic thing, not a testosterone thing. Aggression is a testosterone thing. And of the dogs I know, none of the males fixed early are smaller than their breed should be and none of the ones who waited are noticably bigger or fuller.

(When I asked about if there is a benefit to leaving them on there for longer, I was told by many-a-vet that the major reason people don't castrate is because they are men... Women don't have as many issues with it. That's what several vets have told me. I don't know if it's true... Any women out there feel the need to leave the males intact for longer?)

No filling out issues here:

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 01:17 AM
As one who has raised GSD's,mine have all been done at 6 months.

No filling out issues here either..... :thumbs up

matt
March 20th, 2005, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure if the filling out thing is a rule it is just my personal experience and that of a few GSD breeders I know. Testosterone is absolutely linked to growth , physical as well as mental maturity. Now how much of a link is up for debate.
True aggression( genes) is rarely ever effected by fixing a dog. If a dog has this genetically casteration will not change this. You do have to ask yourself what your purpose is for fixing the dog. Many breeders(of pure bred working dogs) will advise you to wait until 18 months to allow for mental, skeletal maturity. They knkow that if a dog is genetically aggressive that this is not going to change it. But if your not breeding then this is a good time.
ALL of this can be debated as I'm sure it has been before. I'm only sharing from my experience and that of many others. :thumbs up
Mona, since your brother is K9 with OPP I'm sure he will validate that as per a recent article on the OPP unit in Dogs in Canada, that ALL of the OPP dogs ARE neutered . They can and will respond aggressively if required AND I know they have a tonne of DRIVE! Neutering HAS not effected their GENETIC AGGRESSION. :)

matt
March 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Men wanting to leaves males intact more than women/ :confused: What the heck? Let's leave this to science not discriminatory comments by the very people that make $$$ from fixing. Most of the breeders I'm refering to BTW are female. :thumbs up

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I thought police dogs went through tons and tons and tons of training, I didn't know they were born that way. If they are born that way, it's amazing they don't attack the policemen, innocent civilians walking by...

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 01:06 PM
matt,he's not with OPP..... :)

Yes it's true that if a dog is aggressive through genetics,then no,neutering will not really help at all.And this is why a reputable breeder will NEVER breed an aggressive dog.They are breeding to better the breed.Not to make them worse.They have them health and genetic tested along with temperment tested.As for breeders of working dogs,I know quite a few who have their pups on a spay/neuter contract who do want you to have them done at this age.And once they are done,then the CKC registration papers will be given to you.I was on a neuter contract with my dogs.And I did have to get them done at 6 months.As for the purpose of getting your dog fixed,the answer is health reasons.Especially in male dogs.Not only that,it will cut down the over population that we already have.

As for the comment Prin made,I agree.I know of a few husbands/SO's who don't want to get their males neutered.Why?Cause they think they will loose their manhood.....Or should I say doghood........LOL

sue,a co-worker of mine has 2 Wheatens.They were both done at 6 months. :)

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I thought police dogs went through tons and tons and tons of training, I didn't know they were born that way. If they are born that way, it's amazing they don't attack the policemen, innocent civilians walking by...

No Prin,they are not born that way.The force does not want aggressive dogs..Yes they go through intensive training.BUT,they are not aggressive.They are trained to do their job.They are NOT trained to rip someone apart or show aggresstion to everyone.They are trained to "hold" not attack.

Sorry sue,didn't mean to highjack your thread... :)

matt
March 20th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Breeders of Police K9s most certainly WANT certain levels of NATURAL aggression( E mail one sometime and ask them) , which NEEDS to be present in a Police K9. I'm basing this off of breeders of Police K9's( I've corresponded with several and they ALL say the same things). Now NATURAL aggression needs to be present or NO amount of training will bring this out or prepare a dog for a real enagement of a suspect.
The aggression I'm refering to is what one would call CIVIL aggression which is the willingness to ALERT on an individual without being told to. (ALERT does not mean bite) . They must be willing to enage and discern the circumstance/danger on their own. I'm not saying that training is not critical BUT ANY breeder of Police K9's will tell you that a certain level of natural , civil aggression is a must for a Police K9. This DOES NOT mean that they will attack anyone , anytime OR their handler. These dogs are trained well and know the difference between a suspect or a person just walking down the street. Out of an entire litter of pup's you may only get 1 that actually has the temperment, nerves , civil aggression that make it as a K9, THEN it needs to be tested and still might be a wash.
Mona , you alluded to a breeder of Police dogs earlier but did not give the name. Based on some of the info you did give I'm certain I know who you are talking about. Is it Rennee? I know most of her dogs go to sport/Schutzhund homes but I know she has supplied many of the dept's you mentioned. Sorry about that mistake about the OPP. Once again I have misred. :o
As for the neuter and the relation to men ; I would guess that women feel that every female dog should have the experience of giving birth to a litter as their given right ??? :confused: Or it is soooo sad and cruel that these dogs get spayed and now they can't have any little babies!! :rolleyes: I wish I had a nickle for eveytime I heard that one . :thumbs up

Prin
March 20th, 2005, 03:02 PM
As for the neuter and the relation to men ; I would guess that women feel that every female dog should have the experience of giving birth to a litter as their given right ??? Or it is soooo sad and cruel that these dogs get spayed and now they can't have any little babies!! I wish I had a nickle for eveytime I heard that one .

If I had a nickel for every time a woman said that, I wouldn't have any money yet. I would have more nickels for every woman who has thought, "fricken lucky dog doesn't have to deal with bleeding, bloating, cramps and PMS!" Women are by far not as attached to their female dog's ovaries as the men are to their dog's hanging basket.

mona_b
March 20th, 2005, 03:16 PM
.matt,to be honest,I don't need to email any of them.. :)

I am in Law enforcement myself.And deal day to day with the K9 Unit.I have my brothers previous partner.Who I did all the basic training before he went to his 14 week training course.I HAD to socialize him with everyone.I had to make sure he was NOT aggressive....I could really go on about this.BUT,this is sue's thread and I don't want to highjack it anymore..... :)

As for the comment about the the woman..NO,we don't think that a female dog should experience the joys of birth.That's why we have no problem about geting our dogs spayed OR neutered....And you are taking this the wrong way.... :D

matt
March 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Mona, I was joking about the females being spayed.... lighten up please. Just like I took the male comment with good humour! :)

I wouldn't expect you to need to call the breeders BUT I stand behind my comments and info on required aggression which I see as having zero to do with socialization. :confused: I realize these are social dogs . They still need aggression naturally. I too did not intend to highjack a thread. My apologies to Sue. :sorry:

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
March 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM
After finding out that younger animals have a tendancy to bounce back quicker when they're fixed at a younger age, we had Hamish done at five months instead of the usual six months. He filled out nicely. I heard the chests of dogs that have been neutered early are narrower, but that didn't happen with Hamish.

aussiemedogs
March 20th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I have 3 males and 1 female,
1st male was done at 4 months as he was marking all over my house....turned out to be a wonderul dog, no side effects. (stopped marking)
2nd male was done at 5 months no problems, no side effects.
3rd one is now 6 months and will be done real soon.
Female was done before I adopted her.
I go with my vet's advise, he hasn't steered me wrong yet and lets me run a real good tab!