Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kamp K-9 Dog Kennell

SarahLynn123
November 3rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Kamp K-9 in Calgary. I have to put my dog in a boarding kennell for christmas and am really nervous about that. I dont have a whole lot of choice as to kennells because they are mostly booked up. I just want to make sure she is cared for while Im away.

Thanks
Sarah

CaneCorso81
November 3rd, 2004, 10:13 PM
I am not trying to scare you, but you need to research on what kennel that is right for your dog. Boarding your animals in kennel is not always a bad idea, but there are "bad" kennels that don't keep their runs or cages clean all the time.

Have you visited the boarding kennel yet? If not, you should! You need make sure that they keep their place clean all the time and ask them how often they clean their runs. Also, ask what kind of chemicals do they clean out their runs. Ask them many questions about how they keep their place clean, etc. I used to work with boarders and was a vet tech too. Kennel coughing is a common problem in kennels so I highly recommond you to get your dogs KC vaccinated before boarding. Some boarding kennells don't clean their runs well and many dogs will board there everyday and everyweekend. Deadly virus such as parvo, distemper, or others could be living there for a long time.
We had to scrub the floor, walls, and trench once a month with bleach and simple green. No matter how many dogs had pooped or peed, we always clean them right after.
Good Luck

SarahLynn123
November 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM
When I go to view the kennels what sort of stuff should I be looking for?

Mysts38
November 4th, 2004, 11:02 AM
You should be looking for the following

. On your tour notice the following things: Each dog or family group has it's own indoor/outdoor run (some kennels do not have attached outdoor runs-bad, bad) There should be a solid divider at least 3'high between runs.And if your dog is a climber they should have several covered "escape proof" runs. The outside runs should be concrete that slopes s urine drains off.

Some feces may be present, but not tons in every run. Ask how often they scoop and are runs hosed & disinfected every day? How are feces disposed of? A dumpster is ideal and a pile next to the building is bad Some odor may be present, but should not be strong & overpowering

Outside runs should be surrounded by a security fence of some type at least 6'high, in case a dog escapes from it's run Windows, exhaust fans, heat & air conditioning are musts Outside runs should have a roof covering them Each dog must have water available during the daytime All the dogs should not act afraid.Some may be shy and some aggressive, but most should seem happy or excited.

3. Will they feed the food you supply (if you want to), give pills or feed twice a day without extra charge?

4. If a dog soils itself will they wash it for free?

5. In the event of an emergency, do they have a 24 hr vet available close by?

6. Do they feed a good quality food?

7. Are the bowls washed each day?

8. What do local vets have to say about the kennel?

9 . How experienced with dogs/cats is the help and do they seem good with the animals?

10. Special notes for cat owners: Are litterboxes dumped and disinfected daily are the cats in a room separate from the dogs are the cats allowed some time out of their cage each day (not with other cats) Windows are great, but any that open must have wire mesh over them to prevent escape. Is ventilation adequate-most cat illnesses are airborne.

11. All good kennels should require proof from your vet of vaccination against Distemper combination, Parvo, Rabies and Bordetella for dogs and feline distemper combination, Upper respiratory complex and rabies for cats. If ferrets or rabbits are accepted they must be required to be vaccinated against rabies.

12. The kennel help should also check incoming animals for fleas. If an animal is found to have fleas/ticks it will/should be given a flea/tick bath which the owner will be expected to pay for.

SarahLynn123
November 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
I know they charge extra for medicated animals, but they ask you to bring your own food and write the directions on the container. They supply everything else. Im going to check the place out on the 28th.
Thanks