Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hannah Peeing in Crate

Mysts38
November 3rd, 2004, 07:17 AM
I got up this morning to find her blanket soaked..she had peed in her crate last night..this is the first time she has done this,I dont give her water an hour before she goes to bed,and I take her out before I got to bed.

Any ideas? I will wash out the crate with vinegar and leave her blankets out tonight to see if that helps..She only has a small area where she sleeps in the crate

Thanks!

GunnerX
November 3rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
It could be just an accident where she really had to go but couldn't hold it. I would let it slide unless it happens each night.

sammiec
November 3rd, 2004, 09:25 AM
I'm with Gunner. If she's been doing really well, it might have been an accident. I would limit the water before bed (stop around 8), you guys have been doign so great! Don't worry, I'm sure it's not a set back!! She just probably HAD to go! :p

tenderfoot
November 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Give her her last water at about 7pm - take her out before you go to bed - 10ish - and she should be good through the night. Make sure she has water available all day long. Sometimes dogs are only offered water at certain times through the day and they are forced to fill up on water all at once then they just pracitcally burst when they have to pee.
Is the crate in the bedroom? It should be. That way you can hear her if she's fussing and really needs to go out - otherwise she is left to her own devices and has no choice but to soil her crate. She is still too young not to make mistakes.
If it happens again, I would remove the bedding completely for afew nights until you see she is improving. It might make for a messy night or two but she will learn that it is uncomfortable for her to soil the crate - otherwise the bedding just aborbs it and she is not bothered.
Make sure you are not leaving her in there too long - and what can be too long for one pup is different for another. What is her personal limit? Work around that time and then slowly start to extend it.

Mysts38
November 3rd, 2004, 08:01 PM
Well mommy is to blame here,,I was TOO lazy to take her out before I went to bed...*sigh* and she did drink her last late...

We took her crate outta the bedroom and put it in the dining room and she really doesnt seem to mind,,she isnt whining or anything,she loves her crate I think no matter where it is

I have taken her water away and we will go duties tonight a few times before I go to bed,to make sure shes empy

I have also made the area she sleeps in,in her crate smaller and taken out all bedding and washed the crate down with vinegar

I think it was just an accident..sometimes when I gotta go bad..well thats for another post LOL

CaneCorso81
November 3rd, 2004, 09:50 PM
I have questions for you.

How old is Hannah? and what kind of breed?

How often do you take her out? Do you appericate her everytime she pees outside? Do you yell or punish her when she has an accident in her crate? What time does she drink and eat? And how often does she eat/drink? Have you figured out how long after she drinks water, she needs to potty?
If you know her schedule, it helps you know when she needs to go outside after eating/drinking.

tenderfoot
November 4th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Just a quick note on having the crate in a room other than the bedroom.
Little puppies are not meant to sleep alone. They howl and whine because they are frightened that a predator will find them they are scared. They think they have been left behind by mistake and they are giving mom the best chance possible to find them before a predator does. When they finally give up crying (it can take nights of howling), it is because they realize no one is looking out for them and they are now on the road to becoming independent which translates to being disconnected from their family. They figure if no one else cares about them, then they have to look out for themselves, which can lead to insecurities, aloofness, defensiveness and anxiety.
Some emotionaly well balanced dogs never miss a beat from sleeping alone, but it seems to me they would be much better off and happier with the pack.
Especially a puppy who might need you in the middle of the night (surprise case of diarrhea?) and could use your help.
Just a thought - actually all of our dogs (5) sleep either in our bed, next to it or in a crate in the same room. We advocate puppies being in the bed (the pack sleeps together), which puts a lot of peoples hackles up, but we have found it creates an emotionally well balanced pup who knows the leaders are looking out for him.