Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting a second opinion

moontamara
November 3rd, 2004, 03:07 AM
Recently, I broke down and took Casey to the other vet clinic that is near our home to get his ear problem checked. The first place had him on meds for what they called a yeast infection for over a month, and then kind of gave up on him. I took him to the smaller clinic (with severe feelings of guilt as clinic number one has given me a lot of discounts and extra care for free), and they treated him with different medication (looks different when I mixed it into his food) and he's actually getting better. She thinks the underlying problem is mites and we're treated Casey for those now, with drops. So apparently disloyalty was the way to go... but I still feel guilty. Should I?

Has anyone else ever gotten a second opinion on their pet? Did you feel badly about it?

Of course I know that the fact that Casey is finally comfortable is the most important thing, but I still wonder if I should have MADE the first vet clinic get to the bottom of it themselves.

Cinnabear
November 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM
No disloyalty for you. Now your dog is finally starting to heal and feel a whole lot better. Just think how much faster his ear is going to clear and be healthy again. :)

marko
November 3rd, 2004, 08:52 AM
No need to feel guilty - People (vets are people) make mistakes, have different opinions, and try different courses of action first.

No you should NOT have made the first vet get to the bottom of it.
You definitely did the right thing, you went with your instincts and they are usually right.

Christmas is Coming...if the first vet really helped you out in the past - buy him/her a fruitcake. :D

Writing4Fun
November 3rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Definitely don't feel guilty! We do what we have to do for our babies' health - be they two or four-legged. ;)

moontamara
November 3rd, 2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks all, I feel better now!!! Getting the first vet a small token of appreciation is a great idea.

glasslass
November 6th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I would go back to the first vet and be honest. You're not switching, just sought out help. Let the first vet know and tell what was done and the results. They'll appreciate your honesty and the fact that you're still going there, but that your Casey's needs must come first. They will probably be glad to know Casey is better and what the problem was. It doesn't need to be a big deal. Just go in for a routine procedure, like nail trimming, and just tell them "By the way, . . . "