Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poop eating dog

muddymama
November 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
Help, I have a 9 month old pom/poodle who is doing very well with house training (except she still will not let you know when she has to go) every chance she gets she will get into my cat's litter box, grab the poop, eat it and usually leaves peices of it to be found later by us. She will even eat her own when she is outside. when she goes I tell her "good girl" and go to pick it up but she races for it, I tell her to "leave it" but for the most part she gets it before I do. If she does have an accident in the house she will eat the evidence. I don't know if it will harm her or not but it makes her smell verry bad and the children always freak out and stay away which seems to hurt her feelings. Does anyone know how to stop this?

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 04:42 PM
Forbid,you put in in there food no taste, but makes poop taste bad,stopped my pup from doing it.....Your vet should have it..

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
Yes, we have a problem with Daisy eating the "kitty tootsie-rolls". That's funny that something will make it "taste bad". I can't imagine anything tasting worse than, well, you know.

tenderfoot
November 2nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
I have not heard of Forbid, but very possibly it's MSG. Sprinkle MSG on the food and it changes the taste of the poops and the dog stops enjoying the activity so much. However, MSG isn't good for anyone - so only do this for the time it takes to get the puppy to stop the behavior.
It is a natural behavior for a puppy to eat mom's poops - they get necessary bacteria+ from mom's "leftovers" - but this behavior should also stop at an early age. Possibly your puppy is missing some important nutrients in her food. I would put a tablespoon of plain (or vanilla) yogurt in her food everyday to add healthy flora to her system.
I would also get some natural beef bones (like soup bones) and start her on them. But first you must acclimate her system to the rich marrow. Take a defrosted bone and scrape most of the marrow out and set it aside in the fridge. Let her have the bone for 5-10 minutes - then take it away and put it in the fridge. She can have it for longer times each day as she shows you that it is not giving her the runs (bone marrow is rich). Take a small amount of the marrow and put it in her food everyday until it's gone. Only enough to get her used to it but not so much that she gets diarrhea. She can get a fresh bone every week.
This keeps her system running with great nutrition, micro-nutrients, great source of calcium, active tooth cleaning, active gum massaging and mental stimulation. The used bones can be kept because they are always fun for her. However, if you notice one starting to splinter - toss it out ASAP! Some never seem to splinter while others might.
If she does get the runs - solid pack pumpkin works wonders for loose stools or constipation. It is pure fiber and fixes things quickly. Do not feed it exclusively as there isn't much nutrition there.

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 09:09 PM
Making your own kongs! when the marrow is all gone,I fill the inside of the bone with a something peanut butter or cheeze whiz and it keeps the dog busy trying to get out each last scrap

heidiho
November 3rd, 2004, 10:00 AM
I dont know what is in Forbid,but it worked great,your vet would know...

muddymama
November 3rd, 2004, 10:15 AM
thank you everyone, I called my vet about forbid, he dosen't know if it is available but he is checking into it.

GsdDiamond
November 3rd, 2004, 11:04 AM
Here's a document I came accross when we first got Diamond and I was doing lots of reading.

It doesn't explain too much, I'm afraid, but it does give reasons for it and how to (possibly) stop it.

Karsalis
November 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
my vet recommended we put chili sauce, tobasco, or cayenne pepper on the poop. we did that and he learned fast not to eat poop!