Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My kitties are sick...

heeler's rock!
November 2nd, 2004, 04:39 PM
Hubby and I found a stray last week and found out on Friday that she has Feline Upper Resp. Virus. We have been keeping her away from our boys so they don't catch it, but now Jacob has gotten it anyways. Nova, the new kitty, is pretty bad. Her nose is all stuffed up and she is breathing through her mouth. Jacob has been sleeping since last night and isn't eating or playing with his brother. Elliott seems fine right now, but there is no doubt that he's gonna get it too. Nova is now on anti-biotics and Jacob is too. Has anyone ever experienced this before? What can I do to make them comfortable and eat? The vet says to keep giving the anti-biotics to both of them and that should clear it up. They just seem so miserable.... :(

tyr
November 2nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
I have not had this problem before, but I really feel for you! I have three cats of my own and I can just imagine what it would be like having all three of them sick at the same time. You must have your hands full! Did your vet give you an idea of how many days this would take to clear up?

If their nasal cavities are blocked they will not eat no matter what you do. If they cannot smell their food they cannot tell if it is bad or good - they won't take their chances. Are they drinking water? Make sure that they do not get de-hydrated. My Jesse goes through bouts where he won't eat or drink and I find that I have had to put water in his mouth while he is recouperating with my fingers. If they will not let you put your fingers in their mouth you could put some water on their paws. They will lick it up to keep their fur clean because cats are very fussy about their appearances. You may even be able to try this with wet food. Cats do not need a whole lot of water to stay hydrated.

All I can say is that I empathize with you and to just hang in there!

MrsNorris151
November 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
if it is a virus, why are vets prescribing Antibiotics? Antibiotics do nothing for viruses. My aunt has a cat that seems to have the virus. She doesn't give antibiotics but does things for her cat, that she would for herself like put a humidifier in the room so that it helps unclog the nasal congestion

heeler's rock!
November 2nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
Well, the vet didn't put Nova on antibiotics until she started getting a greenish nasal discharge. He said that was a sign that it was turning into a bacterial infection. He has put Jacob on the same to prevent it from becoming a bacterial infection I guess. I don't have a humidifier, but I may go out and get one tonight. What I've been doing is putting them in the bathroom and turning the shower on hot so it steams up the room. This seems to help clear them up somewhat, but it doesn't last long.

Thanks for the sympathy tyr. I have never had a sick cat before and it's really worrying me. I tried so hard to keep Nova contained and away from my boys, but they are sneaky little buggers and got past me when I'd open the door to her room. All it takes is one whif of infected snot and they're all toast. I'm gonna try and do what you said about wetting their paws because they hate my fingers in their mouths. The vet showed me how to check for hydration so I'll see how it goes. Thanks all!

Karin
November 2nd, 2004, 07:47 PM
If any of the kitties get a crusty nose use hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball to gently remove it, (or anything soft) It is true..a cat that can't smell, will not eat either. So try the smelliest fish cat food you can find.

Oh....and lots of TLC, but I know they are already getting that.

Lucky Rescue
November 2nd, 2004, 07:48 PM
if it is a virus, why are vets prescribing Antibiotics?

The antibiotics are for any secondary infection that cats can develop with a severe URI, not for the virus itself.

Heeler's rock - all my cats have had rhino, since I am with a cat rescue and even stress can bring it on. Nearly every cat we get in comes down with a URI.

As long as your cats are healthy adults, they should be fine without medication as long as there is no secondary infection - but the green discharge does indicate infection. Just make sure they are eating and drinking.

Gently clean away all discharges with a soft cloth moistened with warm water.

Your cats will now harbour the virus forever, but they may never have symptoms again. It's really not a big deal - similiar to a cold in humans and only dangerous to very young, very old, or otherwise sick cats.

heeler's rock!
November 2nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Okay, thanks for the tips Lucky and Karin. I'll clean Nova up right away and go out and buy some icky fishy cat food. I gave her this stuff called Grammy's Pot Pie and it's a canned cat food. She loved it and it's all natural, but VERY fatty so it's only used as a treat or in this case where she won't eat. Well, soon after giving it to her, she got the most horrible diarrhea! It was everywhere! On her, on the floor, on the litter box, it was so gross! So now I'm scared to feed her anything out of the ordinary. I'll see what I can find though that may not make her quite as poopy....I'll also run a shower for them to clear them out so they might be able to smell their dinner. It just breaks my heart seeing them like this. Poor Nova is already stressed to the max in this house since she's new here, she doesn't need this too... :(