Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I can't get my dog to play fetch

Luvmypit
November 2nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
I throw the ball . He gets it then I pry his jaws open. I have tried treats to entice him to drop the ball but he won't. Is there anything else I can do? He rather sit with the ball and pull all the yellow felt off of it.

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 12:57 PM
I always would say OUT in a firm coice then give treat,worked on him....

Writing4Fun
November 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
We were taught "give" (same as "out", I guess :) ). When he has the ball, say "give" and hold a treat in front of his nose. It has to be a super yummy treat, more appealing than the ball. As soon as he lets go of the ball, mark it with a "Yes!" or "Good boy!", reward and praise. Some dogs just don't like to fetch, though. Good luck! :thumbs up

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Copper loves to rip apart tennis balls too!! What I do when he won't let go of something is I stick my fingers in his mouth behind his canine teeth and apply a little pressure downward on his jaw. He usually lets go just like that! You can do this under his tongue too at the front of his jaw. Just becareful he's not in too much of a playful mood or he might accidently bite your finger! :eek: I haven't had this happen to me yet, but its been close! As I am doing this I tell him to "spit it out" in a firm voice. Now when he picks up something in his mouth he shouldn't have, I say "spit it out" and he spits it out!

I don't use the word "out" alone because it means a different command for Copper. It means away "out of there." It's all up to you on what word(s) or command you want to teach him. When he's done a good job, give him plenty of treats and/or praise!!!

Good Luck!!

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
We don't use tennis balls with Briggs for that reason. She would rather snack on the yellow fur rather then fetch it. It honestly just came to her one day, she would NEVER let go of the ball - and then suddenly she can drop it!!

We changed to rubber squash balls. She can't rip those apart and they're VERY durable!! You can get a pack of 3 at SportCheck for like 5 bucks.

Luvmypit
November 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Thanks guys I have been trying the treat on his nose thing and he manages to put the ball under his body or paws so he can have both. Maybe its the fuzz on the ball, Ill try the other balls instead. He loves playing keep away with his bone so i think he thinks its the same game. I throw it, he catches it then he comes running back to me for the praise and then takes off with the ball. I'll keep at it it probably because I haven't tried it long enough. Hes probably got to just be able to associate the words with the action. I use the word "drop it" and hold out my hand.
What would I do without all ya'll!

Lucky Rescue
November 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
He rather sit with the ball and pull all the yellow felt off of it.

This is what pit bulls DO! :p Mine thinks that all balls should be made flat ASAP and she works very hard at it.

I just found a soccer ball that she hasn't been able to flatten yet, but I don't have high hopes for it lasting much longer. Round balls just make her crazy!

She will never fetch - if I throw a ball, she runs and grabs it, then takes it away to rip up or deflate. She does know the "Out" command, and will release whatever is in her jaws when I say it.

"Flatten, I say!"

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
I bought a ball that cannot be deflated. It's a hard rubber, she can puncture it, but it's hollow and cannot lose air. There was a handle but she ripped that off. It's a little smaller than a soccer ball so she can carry it in her mouth. That's what we play fetch with. It was 15 bucks at SuperPet and she LOVES it!

Luvmypit
November 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM
do you think a lacrosse ball would be too hard for her to catch. Its also called an indian rubber ball. Its very tough but I don't want to knock his teeth out if he catches it. Is that super pet ball like a kong toy style cause capone rips those apart to. we just bout him a kong bone and within 10 minutes there where peices of it all over the floor. thought they were supposed to be tough and durable but this one didn't stand up to the capone test

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
LOL, yes it's a Kong type ball. My trick is not to let her sit long enough with it to tear it apart, LOL!! We chase her to keep her moving, but she LOVES to fetch it!

I would be a bit scared to throw an indian rubber ball. Those things are VERY hard, if he is to catch it in his mouth.. Briggs doesn't do that... :rolleyes: But I think a squash ball should be good to throw and Capone catch it.

do you think a lacrosse ball would be too hard for her to catch. Its also called an indian rubber ball. Its very tough but I don't want to knock his teeth out if he catches it. Is that super pet ball like a kong toy style cause capone rips those apart to. we just bout him a kong bone and within 10 minutes there where peices of it all over the floor. thought they were supposed to be tough and durable but this one didn't stand up to the capone test

Dukieboy
November 2nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
Duke likes to chew tennis balls. I have one special ball that we use for fetch. He is getting better but he will not play at that steady for longer than 15 minutes. He would rather sniff around, eat grass. Bring it back he does well but dropping the ball is a whole other issue. I usually use treats to get the ball and then positive reinforcement but ultimately he doesn't see the advantage of giving up the ball. Just chasing doesn't do it for him he likes to be able to jump in the air and catch.

melanie
November 2nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
to teach charlie to 'give' i would get her to come near me with the ball, i would run my hand down the snout and tuck my fingers behind the ball and push it out and she would give it, then lots of treats and praise.. but then this is a fetch crazed GSd not a PB, and i know staffies that wont give the ball back, they just run around in circles doing victory laps :rolleyes: :D .

Gazoo
November 2nd, 2004, 06:44 PM

Lacrosse ball is too hard for sure. The dollar stores have rubber balls that work great. My dogs love the bounce!!!

heeler's rock!
November 2nd, 2004, 06:57 PM
My oldest hates fetching. She won't even go get it! My pups love to fetch, but then they play tug all the way back to us! It's silly! Just be careful when using tennis balls or any balls with felt on them as it works much like a nail file. It'll wear your dogs teeth down the more they chew on them. It's okay to use one to play fetch if they bring the ball right back for you to throw again without stopping for a chew. :)

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
We had someone suggest to us to use two balls. Worked like a charm!! (Daisy's a rotti/pit). Throw one ball, and when she picks it up, make sure she sees you hold up the other ball. When she brings it back, through the other ball and she'll drop the first one. And we use "give". She likes to play tug-of-war, but if we say give, she'll let go. That, and "chill" if she's too hyper.

Karsalis
November 4th, 2004, 07:07 AM
my pup did the same thing, when i throw a toy he would run after it, sit and chew on it. What I do do solve the problem is I grab the toy from him quickly after he catches it, but before he clamps his little teeth on it. When I grab the toy from him I say let go. I run away from him, let him run towards me and i say bring it back when he runs towards me. I then throw the toy again and I say go get it, and he runs after it. Its working wonders now. He runs after the toy and actually runs back to me after he gets it. He is getting the hang of letting go the toy now. He knows that the only way to play with me is if I keep throwing it for him to fetch. It took about 2 weeks for him to figure it out.