Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our new puppy

MPickering
November 2nd, 2004, 01:14 PM
Well we went and got a black lab puppy last night. She's so cute. She was the runt though and she's really tiny. The other puppies must have not let her eat anything, cuz she's starving, seriously she'll sit and eat for an hour at a time and that was the first thing hshe wanted to do when she got to our house. And her brothers that were there, were more than double her size. Any suggestions on what to feed her or what to do to help catch up in size?

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Maybe add some canned food to each meal of her's. Plus get a more expensive brand of dog food, and make sure it is formulated for puppies. It is all that I can suggest. One of the moderaters would be ableto say what is best. Good luck.

heeler's rock!
November 2nd, 2004, 04:48 PM
Congrats on the new baby! :)

As for food, there are many good brands out there for your pup. Some good ones are Innova, Wellness, Nutro Natural (not max), and Go Natural. I'm not sure if you can get Go Natural or not, but that's what I'm feeding 2 of my dogs right now and it's very good. Look for a balanced diet that is either all life stages or specifically for puppies. I wouldn't suggest feeding her more than the recommended feeding as you don't want to overfeed her. Also, don't encourage free feeding as retrievers are notorious for eating until they throw up, and then eating some more! :)

What I do to put weight on my pups is add cottage cheese to the mix. It helps their coats too. I use 1% but for extra fat, you can use 2%, but only feed about a tablespoon a day. You can mix in canned food too if you like for added fat, but don't over do it as she might get the runs. You can also feed her treats like jerky and rollover.

Hope this helps and post pics as soon as you can!! :D

tyr
November 2nd, 2004, 05:15 PM
There is not really any food that will make her double in size faster than the others. Just make sure to mix in wet and dry food together. And make sure that it is Puppy food not Dog food. Puppy food is specially formulated to help puppies grow into big strong dogs:) (Or as big as the dog can get anyway). You sound like you are doing just fine. You let the pup get the food she was craving her first night which was the right thing to do. Now you can set aside scheduled feedings at the appropriate servings specified!

Sounds like you are doing great though! If you ever have any doubts this is the right place to ask a question:)

Do you have pictures of your new baby? If you do would you post some? I would love to see your new little angel!

Ciao!

glasslass
November 2nd, 2004, 07:55 PM
Give her several small meals spaced apart, rather than just letting her overeat. If she's starving, she'll gorge herself and make herself sick.

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 08:10 PM
Hi There,

A little Black Lab :) good for you I love them had a black Lab myself. I would love to give you my opinion on what to feed your baby. I believe after doing lots of research on this topic the best thing you can do to make sure you little grow up happy and healthy is start with a good food. I like no by-products in my dogs food, my pup Blaze is now 9 months and from 8 weeks of age we feed him Nutro Natural Choice Large Bred Puppy. It's very important to feed large bred puppy to a dog that will grow over 50lbs. I does make a difference in the food, please start off with large bred puppy. Puppy food in now made for the size of the pup which finally they the Vets and others got it. Growing too fast can help cause HD in dogs so now large bred puppy is there for a reason. As for how much to feed your dog, well my opinion again, I have always free feed. I put the food down and they eat all they want. Do keep in mind they are not pigs and always leave food in their dish. Watch how your pup eats, talk to YOUR Vet take their advice first and enjoy your new black lab. :)

MPickering
November 3rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all your help guys, you've all been great this last little while for me. I've been feeding her Eukanuba (that's what the breeder recommended) that's Lamb and Rice, for large breed puppies. But I've been free feeding her, I thought because she was so small that would be the best thing. Am I wrong? I don't want to make her sick.

mastifflover
November 3rd, 2004, 06:43 PM
I would not free feed her at this time she is still a bit young and will eat too much and make herself sick. I would go with Solid Gold or Natual Balance something with no corn or soya they are allergens and only filler they have no nutritional value for your dog. Also with large breeds you would much rather have her grow slowly allowing joints and bones to fuse properly and bones to become dense enough this all happens in a dog that grows slowly. You will be glad you did it cuts down the risk of HD and luxating patellas and so on. These are all expensive to repair and long and painful recovery for you dog and none of us wants our dogs to suffer unnecessarily.

goldenblaze
November 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
My opinion, is you are feeding large bred puppy, that is good. Free feed if you like. I do and never had a problem with that.
HD is common yes but that is why they now have large bred puppy food. Blaze was free feed now 9 mths old and fine, a dog will learn how much to eat without being a pig or over eating.