There is an article starting on Pg. 127 entitled "Teen Titans". This
article is about teenager entrepeneurs. One of these budding
"merchants" is Timothy Hampson who is the proud owner of
cuddlypuppy.com . His mother even helps him. You guessed it, he sells
miniature dogs over the internet. This is a disgrace!! He hopes to
expand into dog clothing and exotic pets. He buys dogs from a network of
breeders and sells them over the internet. He is 16 yrs old and is
paying his mother to answer phones and his sister helps to clean out the
cages for dogs in transit that are in their kitchen and laundry room.

This is just disgusting!! People magazine should be ashamed to feature
this teen as an example of a successful entrepreneur.

A petition has been created that will be sent to the editor of the
magazine in hopes that our voices will be heard...please sign and
crosspost!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stop-puppymills

Sheriffmom
November 2nd, 2004, 10:40 AM
I was shocked! I will for sure sign the petition! Thanks Trescanis for finding and posting!

diandpat
November 2nd, 2004, 10:53 AM
I have already signed the petition and will write to People directly to strongly suggest they show "the other side" or I WILL cancel my subscription.

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2004, 10:53 AM
Good post signed that. I guess when you are rich People will promote your business no matter how disgusting it is. Also great idea to teach teens that as long as you make money off these poor animals that is what counts not there health and well being.

GsdDiamond
November 2nd, 2004, 11:19 AM
Disgusting! I've signed and made my opinions heard.

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 12:00 PM
I signed it and it really makes me sick that People Magazine would print something like this. Do they not understand what the sweet little puppies go through and what about the parents. :(

tyr
November 2nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
That is truly awful!!!!! I am so mad right now that I could start swearing like a trucker! (I only swear when I am really angry).

I cannot believe that a magazine that is supposed to provide stories to inspire youth would publish such a piece of trash!!! How can they support that? The person who wrote the article obviously knew nothing about the horrors of puppymills! They just saw one of his tiny little puppies in a sweater and thought " Wow! This puppy is sooooooo cute! This kid is really great for starting up his own business! He really knows what people want! How inspirational"! :sick:

My sister-in-law (15) reads this magazine! I have flipped through before and the articles in there have always been so great. They were written by someone who researched the topic and provided inspirational stories...or educational ones. I loved that because they were slipping in pieces of education and great ideas in a place that would get young girls attention.....a fashion and celebrity magazine. I always thought that was great. Now I am second guessing and I am going to have to talk to her about this and try to get her to read another magazine that won't promote such a horrible thing. I will also need to talk to her and educate her on puppymills so that she does not walk away thinking that this was a brilliant idea.

The only way they can save themselves from losing a lot of readers will be to print the "other side".