Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Some dogs should NOT walk OFF LEASH

Mysts38
November 1st, 2004, 06:42 PM
Remember I told you about Hannah's first walk and how these two dogs came out of their backyard at us? and how the owner demanded I stop walking and then swore at me?

Well hannah and myself and my 6 year old were playing on the front lawn,which uis HUGE and out of the blue comes this HUGE BLACK dog..now it was dark and I just about...you know my pants..The dog made a beeline for my daughte who was on the ground(we were wrestling) and she freaked when she looked up to see this dog standing near her

Apparently the owner was walking the two dog and this one OFF LEASH and came onto my property this time

GOOD GOD,does the woman NOT get it? that her dogs wont listen to her and that she shouldnt be walking a 65lb dog off leash

Iam fed up...and this is just my vent YEESH :rolleyes:

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM
GOOD GOD,does the woman NOT get it?

Do you have a leash law in your area? She'll "get it" when you send the police to her door and she gets fined.

I had ONE dog I could walk off leash with complete confidence. These people with untrained out-of-control dogs off leash need a kick in the butt. :evil:

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Good! She should know not to walk her dogs off leash, when they have taken off.
I only had one dog, growing up, that I could trust walking off leash, and we lived way out in the boonies, and had only 1 or 2 neighbors within a mile. The dog was a 200 pound great dane. He was amazing, he walked right by your side, and never went ahead, or stayed behind. He was like this when we had gotten him. He was origionally trained too "work" at institution, with them mentally disabled. So he had to know how to walk properly. After about 3 years of being on duty, they said that he had done a good job, and let him go, to enjoy a more "Family" setting. I loved that dog!

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 10:24 AM
I would make sure that this is known!! That's very unacceptable!! That makes me so mad! :mad: :mad:

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Well, if you put up a wooden fencem you could have lots of privacy and it wouldn't look cheesy. I think it would look great in any yard.

GsdDiamond
November 2nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
I'm so sorry you had to go through that again. That woman needs to be talked to by the Police. You have every right in calling them and telling them what happened!
I feel so sorry for you, your daughter and your puppy. The pup and the daughter can be tramatized for life if it happens too often. Too scary!

Go get'em mom!!!

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 11:16 AM
I don't beleive you should have to put a fence in your front yard to keep other peoples dog out. It is up to the owner of the dog the keep their out, after all do they belong in your yard.... :confused:
My two dog never go in anyones yard! And I expect the same from people living around me.

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 11:27 AM
It isnt worth the trouble,when I had cujo he ran loose every now and again..and Iam sure other people didnt like it..so I am gonna let it be I will have to chalk it up to a live and learn situation.Iam not gonna call the police or anyone else..

There are other dogs that run loose in the vilage too,I guess people feel that since they are in the country,that their dogs can have more freedom.

I know myself,having gone through it once with Cujo..that I wont let Hannah run loose or walk her off leash unless we are in the bush,where she can safely run free

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 11:33 AM
I have lived in the country all my life and never have I owned a dog that ran free in others yard, I believe people should watch their animals and know where they are at all times.
I do understand you doing nothing because you don't want to start anything But what about talking to this person and telling her how you and your family feels about other dogs coming in your yard and how scary it was for you all.

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
Goldenblaze

I agree but,it wasnt so much about the dog being off leash as I think it was Kelsey being scared AGAIN....I have noticed that she is getting timid with large dogs and Hannah is gonna be big and that worries me

Its pretty scary to be on the ground and look up to see a large black dog(in the dark) looming over you...If people want to walk their dogs off leash,thats their option..but please please think of the safety and concern of others..it doesnt matter how nice the dog is....its still scary to small kids..

lezzpezz
November 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Just an added experience I had today: I was walking a clients' dog and on the other side of the street was a young lady under umbrella walking the other direction. From behind her, an old fella who was at a full run bellows, "Don't be afraid....just a dog running!" at which point the now startled woman turned to see what was going on and who was talking, only to be set upon by a 100 lb. ++ brown labX. It was quite large and began growling as it made contact with the shocked woman's behind. The jogger just kept going. The woman reacted by putting her free hand down between her body and the not-to-pleasant dog. The owner spoke the dogs' name and eventually, his dog continued running at a good clip. I felt badly for this lady, and the man was out of site so fast, I didn't have time to say anything. What nerve!

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM
My question is i see people that let there dog out with no leash for walks,How do yout rain your dog not to run in traffic and what not???I dont think i would ever take that chance...

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2004, 12:18 PM
It drives me nuts when people walk thier dogs off-leash! It's not just about your dog, it's also about other people. I do mountain bike patrol, and we have a woman who has been a problem walking her dogs on the property, off leash, two of them. One day I was taking my sister for a ride, who lost most of her top lip in a dog attack as a child. We came around the corner, and I just about ran over her because she saw these two big dogs coming lumbering down the path. I told her not to worry, I'd go first. The woman grabbed the leash, and when I went by, the one dog lunged at my face (I felt it's breath). She seemed surprised her dog would do that. What if she hadn't grabbed the leash? I'm not afraid of dogs (I'm over-confident, actually. It's interesting when my sister and I ride, being polar opposites with strays. Somewhere between the two of us is the proper amount of fear and respect! ;) ), but when I see someone walking there dog off leash, I can only imagine how fearful someone else might be. And you never know when it is going to run up on a timid dog who gets "fake aggressive" (snarls and snaps to avoid a fight, basically saying, "don't come near"), or just another dog that it won't like. It's like when you go to the door of a house where a dog barks loudly and rushed the door, and the people say, "Don't worry, she's friendly" and leaves it at that. We know Daisy won't bite, but we always keep her behind us, and ask, "Are you okay with dogs?" Unless it's Jahovah's Witness, or someone trying to sell us something. Then we let the pitbull stick her head out from between our legs. Usually a conversation stopper ;)

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 12:19 PM
I agree i think dogs should be on leashes.....

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
ALL DOGS SHOULD BE ON LEASHES!!!! Or at least tied in their yard! How is it fair that Pit Bull owners have to walk their dog with a muzzle on and as we walk by someone's house their dog comes running out at us??? If the loose dog was to attack our muzzled dog, how is he/she supposed to defend itself with a muzzle on????

There should be no loose dogs!!

It's a shame when young children have frightening encounters with dogs because it affects them for the rest of their life!!

I should have said CONFINED in their yard.

mastifflover
November 2nd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Buddy is the only dog who I have ever felt confident walking off lead but we very rarely do this because I know people see the big dog and of course we know every big dog bites and attacks. But I use a leash to keep my boy safe and for other people to feel safe around him. But I have to say I am sick of people not asking telling me to cross the street with that dog. It happen all the time and I just say if you would have asked nicely I would but don't tell me what to do if you want you can cross the street, I do cross if I see parents with kids or strollers I try and be considerate. Ask nicely. By the way I cross more for my dogs safety then any other reason and in some cases for my very pleasant neighbours with their childern who are usually less scared then them.

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
I dont agree with tying a dog on the backyard,i think you should make sure your backyard is secure,i think it is sad to see a dog tied up in the backyard.............

Luvmypit
November 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
They have a commercial here that airs once in a blue moon of a dog outside tied while the family sits warm and cozy inside. Have you guys seen that one? The dog is yelping and looks dishelveled. Its a good commecial. I hate seeing a dog tied too.
It would be good if we had more of those kind of commercials. I have alot of dogs ofleash in my area, mostly small dogs. Should I say something or leave it alone. They usually pick ther dog up anyways when they see me but some people need to realize that some are scared of dogs and all dogs. Its only common courtesy. I also was peeved to see dogs leashless on halloween. These people need to realize that being a night such as halloween with crazy looking goblins and ghouls wondering around you don't know how your dog is going to react. I swear 3 dogs sitting on there lawn. Mind you there owners where outside but still its dangerous for the children trick or treating

Schwinn
November 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
I'm okay with tying the dog up, given they have enough chain. I don't agree with people who leave the dog outside tied up 24/7. Sometimes people do it because they have to worry about the dog getting into places they don't want them, because the dog maybe destructive, or they have other issues to worry about. Or, they may have a large property that they can not afford to fence in (we were going to fence our first house, and couldn't believe how many thousands of dollars it was going to be). Personally, I'd rather see a run built. But then, the other issue is if you have a dog that digs. We came home one day to find Daisy's buddy from next door in the pen with her, and it turned out she had dug a hole under the fence while we were gone!

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
This was taken from a previous heated thread regarding tying your dog outside. Please, think about this. Tethering can be VERY dangerous for your pet, regardless of length of time.

What is meant by "chaining" or "tethering" dogs?

These terms refer to the practice of fastening a dog to a stationary object or stake, usually in the owner's backyard, as a means of keeping the animal under control. These terms do not refer to the periods when an animal is walked on a leash.

2. Is there a problem with continuous chaining or tethering?

Yes, the practice is both inhumane and a threat to the safety of the confined dog, other animals, and humans.

Want to learn more?
Get the Pets for Life e-newsletter.

Enter e-mail address:

3. Why is tethering dogs inhumane?

Dogs are naturally social beings who thrive on interaction with human beings and other animals. A dog kept chained in one spot for hours, days, months, or even years suffers immense psychological damage. An otherwise friendly and docile dog, when kept continuously chained, becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and often aggressive.

In many cases, the necks of chained dogs become raw and covered with sores, the result of improperly fitted collars and the dogs' constant yanking and straining to escape confinement. Dogs have even been found with collars embedded in their necks, the result of years of neglect at the end of a chain. In one case, a veterinarian had to euthanize a dog whose collar, an electrical cord, was so embedded in the animal's neck that it was difficult to see the plug.

4. Who says tethering dogs is inhumane?

In addition to The Humane Society of the United States and numerous animal experts, the U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) issued a statement in the July 2, 1996, Federal Register against tethering:

"Our experience in enforcing the Animal Welfare Act has led us to conclude that continuous confinement of dogs by a tether is inhumane. A tether significantly restricts a dog's movement. A tether can also become tangled around or hooked on the dog's shelter structure or other objects, further restricting the dog's movement and potentially causing injury."

5. How does tethering or chaining dogs pose a danger to humans?

Dogs tethered for long periods can become highly aggressive. Dogs feel naturally protective of their territory; when confronted with a perceived threat, they respond according to their fight-or-flight instinct. A chained dog, unable to take flight, often feels forced to fight, attacking any unfamiliar animal or person who unwittingly wanders into his or her territory.

Numerous attacks on people by tethered dogs have been documented. For example, a study published in the September 15, 2000, issue of the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association reported that 17% of dogs involved in fatal attacks on humans between 1979 and 1998 were restrained on their owners' property at the time of the attack. Tragically, the victims of such attacks are often children who are unaware of the chained dog's presence until it is too late. Furthermore, a tethered dog who finally does get loose from his chains may remain aggressive, and is likely to chase and attack unsuspecting passersby and pets.

6. Why is tethering dangerous to dogs?

In addition to the psychological damage wrought by continuous chaining, dogs forced to live on a chain make easy targets for other animals, humans, and biting insects. A chained animal may suffer harassment and teasing from insensitive humans, stinging bites from insects, and, in the worst cases, attacks by other animals. Chained dogs are also easy targets for thieves looking to steal animals for sale to research institutions or to be used as training fodder for organized animal fights. Finally, dogs' tethers can become entangled with other objects, which can choke or strangle the dogs to death.

7. Are these dogs dangerous to other animals?

In some instances, yes. Any other animal that comes into their area of confinement is in jeopardy. Cats, rabbits, smaller dogs, and others may enter the area when the tethered dog is asleep and then be fiercely attacked when the dog awakens.

8. Are tethered dogs otherwise treated well?

Rarely does a chained or tethered dog receive sufficient care. Tethered dogs suffer from sporadic feedings, overturned water bowls, inadequate veterinary care, and extreme temperatures. During snow storms, these dogs often have no access to shelter. During periods of extreme heat, they may not receive adequate water or protection from the sun. What's more, because their often neurotic behavior makes them difficult to approach, chained dogs are rarely given even minimal affection. Tethered dogs may become "part of the scenery" and can be easily ignored by their owners.

9. Are the areas in which tethered dogs are confined usually comfortable?

No, because the dogs have to eat, sleep, urinate, and defecate in a single confined area. Owners who chains their dogs are also less likely to clean the area. Although there may have once been grass in an area of confinement, it is usually so beaten down by the dog's pacing that the ground consists of nothing but dirt or mud.

10. But how else can people confine dogs?

The HSUS recommends that all dogs be kept indoors at night, taken on regular walks, and otherwise provided with adequate attention, food, water, and veterinary care. If an animal must be housed outside at certain times, he should be placed in a suitable pen with adequate square footage and shelter from the elements.

11. Should chaining or tethering ever be allowed?

To become well-adjusted companion animals, dogs should interact regularly with people and other animals, and should receive regular exercise. It is an owner's responsibility to properly restrain her dog, just as it is the owner's responsibility to provide adequate attention and socialization. Placing an animal on a restraint to get fresh air can be acceptable if it is done for a short period. However, keeping an animal tethered for long periods is never acceptable.

12. If a dog is chained or tethered for a period of time, can it be done humanely?

Animals who must be kept on a tether should be secured in such a way that the tether cannot become entangled with other objects. Collars used to attach an animal should be comfortable and properly fitted; choke chains should never be used. Restraints should allow the animal to move about and lie down comfortably. Animals should never be tethered during natural disasters such as floods, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards.

13. What about attaching a dog's leash to a "pulley run"?

Attaching a dog's leash to a long line—such as a clothesline or a manufactured device known as a pulley run—and letting the animal have a larger area in which to explore is preferable to tethering the dog to a stationary object. However, many of the same problems associated with tethering still apply, including attacks on or by other animals, lack of socialization, and safety.

14. What can be done to correct the problem of tethering dogs?

At least 25 communities have passed laws that regulate the practice of tethering animals. Maumelle, Arkansas; Tucson, Arizona; and New Hanover, North Carolina, are a few communities that prohibit the chaining or tethering of dogs as a means of continuous confinement. Many other communities allow tethering only under certain conditions; Jefferson County, Kentucky, for example, prohibits dogs from being tethered for more than eight hours in any 24-hour period.

15. Why should a community outlaw the continuous chaining or tethering of dogs?

Animal control and humane agencies receive countless calls every day from citizens concerned about animals in these cruel situations. Animal control officers, paid at taxpayer expense, spend many hours trying to educate pet owners about the dangers and cruelty involved in this practice.

A chained animal is caught in a vicious cycle; frustrated by long periods of boredom and social isolation, he becomes a neurotic shell of his former self—further deterring human interaction and kindness. In the end, the helpless dog can only suffer the frustration of watching the world go by in isolation—a cruel fate for what is by nature a highly social animal. Any city, county, or state that bans this practice is a safer, more humane community.

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM
By having the dog tied up, I don't mean on a 10 ft line wrapped around a pole where the dog can't get exercise or gets no attention at all! If your yard is secured with a fence, by all means let him run loose. But when a dog is free to come and go as it pleases, this can cause problems. It is also at risk of causing a car accident in which if someone was injured or their vehicle is damaged, the dog's owner is liable for damages done. I used to drive tow truck and a girl swerved to avoid hitting the dog. She ended up rolling her van and was seriously injured! The owners of the dog are now being sued. I towed this van and it wasn't a pretty sight!

Our husky/akita mix is tied up on a run that is 100ft long in length back and forth from one pole to another. The line attached to his collar is 20ft. So he is 20 ft away from the run line. He can reach up to the house and to the edge of our property line on one side and to the garage on the other. He has a maple tree and a pine tree to dig under or lay under, has a dog house against our house and has a shelter for his food and water. He stays out all year long(except really bad weather). We spend time with him outside and play with him and he is perfectly happy being tied up! He doesn't want to be in the house as it is too warm for him. He is not neglected in anyway!! He is tied up and kept safe from harms way.

Some people have the confidence that their dog will not run away if unleashed which is ok with me as long as they take responsibility IF something were to happen. Their dog shouldn't be unsupervised though.

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
For me i just would never tie my dog outside ,maybe if i was out there doing my lawn or something and had no fence and it was a long leash...But i am 100% against leaving a dog tied outside while you[meaning whoever does that] are in your comfy house...........................

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 02:00 PM
What's the difference between tying a dog up and keeping it in a kennel? A kennel is a confined space, where as a run allows him to exercise when wants to. In a kennel the dog walks in his poop and pee until someone gets home from work to clean it up! On a run, OUR dog poops at the far end so he doesn't have to be near it all day.

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
My opinion is leaving a dog on a tie out is ok if you do like Copper'sMom. There is nothing wrong with a dog being outside on a good tie out for some fresh air. I don't use a tie out but I once did for my Lab and it was on a cloths line so the dog had lots of room to move and yes poop away from the door until I went out to bring him in and poop scoop. Kaiger loved to be outside and watch people and things go by, again did does depend on what tie out means to each person.

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
If i am at home my dog is not in a kennel he is out with me...................

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
I would NEVER go away and leave my dog in a outside kennel or tied to anything!

Luvmypit
November 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
I agree that you shouldn't tie your dog up. The only time we do is when we take Capone camping. We are out there with him anyways and then he is brought into sleep in the tent with us at night. I don't like the fact you leave them out all year long. That is just me though. I would wonder if they were cold, lonely or injured and I wouldn't know. But mainly because its pretty damn cold out there. I am sure your dog is very used to it by now.

Dukieboy
November 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
I think unless you are at the offleash or in a confined area your dog should be on the lead. In the early am I take Duke for his walk around the park and for that one walk in the morning I have the halti on him as well as his harness so he can get used to having something on his face(just in case). Its just a quick walk to do his business no play or anything. Anyway there was this woman with a dalmation maybe a year old or so that would jog with her dog off the leash. She had head phones on too!! Apparently listening to music. Any way when she hits the park she runs through with the dog, never stops to pick up after it and then runs out. Twice the dog has run by Duke and growled. Finally, one morning I yelled, hey lady, this isn't an off leash park, she said what? guess she couldn't hear with those head phones on. Anyway, next time I saw her the dog was on a lead.

There are alot of people in my area that use the park as an offleash, which it isn't. Kinda pees me off with everything Duke is going to have to endure.

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Husky dogs LOVE the outdoors. He has a dog house and has the option of going in the garage when it is snowing out or raining out and what does he do?? When it is snowing he lays out in the middle of his run content as can be! If he didn't like it outside he would cry to come in. He does this when it is thundering and lightning. Yes we bring him in because it is a possibility that his line(air craft cable) could be hit by lightning. When he comes in, after about an hour he cries to go back outside because it is too warm in the house.

When the weather changes from good to bad in one day, I leave work to go home and tend to our dog outside. I do have a heart and it is a pretty big one.

How do you think the inuit people survive in the arctic in igloos? What about the people who live in the desert? They all get used to their climates just as dogs do. Huskys are outdoor sledding dogs and this is what they enjoy.

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
I guess i am thinking of the people that are in there comfy houses and just leave there dog outside for hours on end.

sammiec
November 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Huskys are outdoor sledding dogs and this is what they enjoy.
No one is denying that. I used to have a Husky, I know all about it! BUT there is a danger is tying dogs in general. Period. I can show you some gruesome images of what can happen to a dog that is tied. That's why I posted that information, not to cause a fight, but to share with people the possibilities of what could happen when tying your dog out. That's all. We're here to share information and help better the life of each others pets, right?? That's why I shared the information that I found.

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM
This is what really gets me going. :mad:
Driving down a country road and seeing a house with a large yard, sometimes house way off road loads of room. There you see a dog house and a dog in the very back yard or beside some old barn tied up and walking in mud no shade, no one near by. My God what a life for this " pet" why have a dog and leave him in a dog house or kennel. I would love to put the owners of the dog there for one month :mad: let them see how it makes you feel. There is no stupid dog! there are many stupid owners that don't "bother "to take the time to teach the dog, you live in the country, large yard...... teach you dog to stay in the yard. Why feel the need to tie this animal to a dog house or tree.

Next thing the gets me is.....In my town there is No Frills which sells no name items I'm sure we all know what type of thing I'm talking about. ( some items are fine but not in this case)

Ok
People that buy their food and have junk food falling out of the cart cause it is so full of this type of food, kids hanging on the cart so you know this parent is feeding the kids junk food, lots of it!
On the bottom of cart is a large bag of no name dog food, you know 40lbs for $8.97 :evil: I think oh my God that poor dog what a meal he is going to have while the owners spend money on junk food for their kids. I think the poor dog will get nothing else to eat but this junk they sale as dogfood. I feel like walking up to the person and asking why buy that dogfood, do you realize what you are feeding your dog or do they really even care?
Sorry but that really gets me, I went yesterday to Pet Valu for my boys food. $47.10 for the bag, that is fine. A lady walks up with Alpo dry and starting freaking about the price of dog food, again I almost said something but I thought no it is not my place to say anything so I walked out with my $
47.10 bag of dog food and thought again poor dog.

:confused:

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
I am with you on good dog food..I will eat beefaroni and top ramen so my dog can have solid gold 50.00 dog food....

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 02:36 PM
I use to tie Cujo out on very long line 150 feet..but he wasnt on it for very long,he hated it,and like most Goldens,wanted to be close to his family,so he wasnt left out long

I do intend to tie hannah out now and again,she has a metal tie out in the middle of the backyard(2 acres) with a 100 foot line,and when I got out to play with her I tie her to the line,its just easier than trying to play and carry her leash at the same time

I dont think theres anything wrong with tying a dog out,as long as its not left there for hours on end with no water or attention or toys etc..but dogs DO like to be outside

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 02:39 PM
When I talk about tieing my dog outside on a nice day I know he is safe bacause.... I am in theyard too! I am doing flowers or reading a book 10 feet from him. I've never have nor would I tie a dog and go inside, anything could happen. What if something ( a dog ) came after your dog, he can't get away cause he is tied and no one there to help.

Copper'sMom
November 2nd, 2004, 02:56 PM
Sargent was a rescue dog. My fiance rescued him from a relative who neglected him and treated him badly. He worked very hard to train him to be what he is today. Sargent thought HE was alpha dog, so needless to say it was hard work.

Sargent eats better than most people. WARNING You may not agree with the following: We do feed Sarge table scraps. He gets most of our leftovers plus the odd steak, roast or turkey in with his kibble. Don't worry no bones. On the other hand, my boy Copper doesn't get scraps - he has a sensitive stomach. Sarge's body uses all the nutrients and fats we give him as he needs more being an outdoor dog.

As for other animals coming in HIS territory, I hate to say this, but he always wins. Possums, birds, mice he can catch them. He has had loose dogs come in the yard and when we hear fighting we run out and he has the other dog pinned to the ground. He hasn't killed a dog so far(knock on wood).

As there are dangers outside, there are dangers inside a house as well. What if the house caught fire? Carbon monoxide? Life is full of surprises.

We can't leave Sarge in the house all day while we are at work. It's unfair to him. We are gone 8-10 hrs. But we do have neighbours that look out for him as well.

I used to think it was mean to tie a dog up outside 24/7 until I met Sargent. Unfortunately there are some people in the world that don't care about their dogs and this is what they do. At least we make time for him and take care of him and see to it he is a happy boy.

goldenblaze
November 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Copper'sMom
I give my dogs our food every night for their supper, I agree there is nothing wrong with that. :) They have their meal after we are done and look foreward to it everynight, I cook 3 chicken breast instead of two for my husband and I. The boys share one and love it, I add cooked veggies and rice that is their meal daily. The meat is changed daily but they do enjoy each meal.
As for your dog, you know what... he seens very happy and healthy, I say keep doing what you are doing and enjoy each others company. :thumbs up

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
My mom always gave our dachshund nibbles on steak and stuff when we would eat dinner....And he never started to beg or anything i dont see anything wrong with that..Her cat that she has had Fancy will come and lay on the table when we have a steak dinner eat a few pieces then not want to be bothered with us and leave,i think it is so cute..

melanie
November 2nd, 2004, 03:09 PM
i seem to find you guys dont seem to have any really strong legislation for the porotection and care of animals. again in the companion animals act of NSW, australia, you can tie a dog up in a yard but it must be on a proper run, it cannot be tied to a tree or anything. i used to have a run for charlie for about 6mths, it was really good and effective but she was only tied up when i had no other option.

as far as walking anywhere offleash, yeah charlie will do it but it is far to dangerous, to many things can go wrong. eg this morning we round the corner up the road and and bang, we run into two staffies having a fight with another dog, if she was not on leaseh she would have either been in that fight, or could have run onto the raod out of fear and such, whati f they chased her and she was off, cars are big and hard and do not discriminate.

as far as dogs scaring my neice and nephew, if big dog comes and is not under control but i see the owner, i point out my big hard boots and let them know either control your dog and get it away from the kids or they will meet my blundstones, simple as that. i am not about to let a kid get bitten because i was being polite, stuff that. any agro dogs near kids or my dog, their owners will get one warning and one only. it is my job to protect the kids and my dog so i will protect them to the full extent of the meaning of the words. period. i have hadmy face torn open by poodles, i know fear of dogs, andi will never put anyone else willingly in that situation.

myst, hopefully your girl will be ok with hannah when she is big, if they grow together size will hoepfully be on the backburner, love may just overcome that fear. i have always been scared of all dogs, except the ones i konw of course. but i grew up with a big golden retriever (lee) and i was never afraid of him, just other dogs, he was like my brother, hopefullly this will be the case for you, and goldens are great friends for kids and are protective of them. (lee once saved my life when i stoped breathing as a sml child, he went to mums room and pulled the blanket of her and howled and cried till she got up and checked his kids, lucky for me she found me and of to hospital and lee was always our hero, i love goldens) and they love their kids, so hopefully she wont be scared of him. try nad encourage them to be best of frineds even if hannah could sleep in her room when a little older etc, it will make a strong bond for them and that will help your little girl. :love:

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Oh I would love it more if ever there was a fire(heaven forbid) and my dog was outside and not in! There hidden dangers in the house..even the best trained dog may get a taste for wires one day...or something in the garbage can they can choke on..so its so much better to check for these dangers ahead of time

As for human food...I use to feed Cujo human food all the time,but it wasnt junk,it was usually lean meat,rice and vegtables...and I plan to do the same with Hannah

If I know we are gonna be giving CUjo some good leftovers,then I would cut down his kibble for one meal,so that he didnt overeat...dogs afteall are meat eaters by nature and I see no harm inthem getting lean meats,grains and veggies for their meals. In fact my vet praised me for Cujos healthy coat,and when I told him what I fed him on occasion,he said "thats great,just make sure he doesnt overeat,but keep giving him healthy human food"

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 03:15 PM
I am talking about people i see on main roads with dog on no leash how do you train them not to take off????

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks for your suggestions,they are appreciated...Kelsey loved Cujo and he was a 95lbs teddy bear,but with this other dog being a jumper,I think thats what frightens her alot..that he can jump and get to her face like he did last night...I pulled her from the ground(poor little arm) and he jumped up close to her face and she got scared....but I will do your suggestions

melanie
November 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM
also when i have kids around (family members), i like them to give charlie treats and i often get them to put her bowl down and we go out often for play and walk together, i just try and get them all to bond, i have found it also help with the jealousy thing, yes my dog gets jealous of the kids at times and the kids of her :rolleyes: (its kinda pathetic at times, at least i know they all love me though :love: )

Mysts38
November 2nd, 2004, 03:32 PM
I often get the girls to give hannah treats,handle her food bowl and even get them to take a toy away..they first have to get her attention by saying her name..saying "give" softly and then taking the toy and giving praise and giving the toy back

Hannah has to learn that she needs to give up anything she has to anyone in the family..for her own safety as well as ours...

heeler's rock!
November 3rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Just my 2 cents worth. My 3 dogs are usually off leash around our neighbourhood when we go out for a walk. My oldest Red, never strays from me and hasn't in the 3 years I've had her, so she is almost never on leash no matter where we go. I will leash her sometimes, depending on where we are and if there are kids around. My pups are on leash when we're near a main road, but sometimes we train them on a busy road so they learn not to run into traffic. I let their leash drag and when they start to stray, I step on it and it gets their attention back to me. Also, my dogs all know the word stop and I use this to do just that, make them stop. They know this command and follow it well. When they stop, they automatically sit so we can put them back on lead or whatever. This is just the type of training I do and I wouldn't have my dogs off leash if I wasn't confident in what I've tought them. They also know I'm alpha and that helps them respect me and what I tell them to do.

heidiho
November 3rd, 2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for answering always wondered how people trained dogs to do that,.

heeler's rock!
November 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
It's a lot of work and it's not easy, but it's so rewarding in the end when you know that it could save your dog's life one day. Hopefully it won't ever have to! :)

Mysts38
November 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
when she starts to stray off the property I step on her leash and say STOP ....she will stop..has no choice really,look at me and follows me as I walk the other way

sammiec
November 4th, 2004, 02:33 PM
when she starts to stray off the property I step on her leash and say STOP ....she will stop..has no choice really,look at me and follows me as I walk the other way

There's no need to step on her leash. Hannah is just a baby, you need to have positive reinforcement, not hurtful. If she gets out of line and begins to stray from you I would just turn in the other direction calling her name in a fun and happy manner... she'll understand that it's fun to follow mommy... not hurtful if you don't...

Schwinn
November 5th, 2004, 01:19 PM
With Daisy, my wife would actually hide behind a tree. It was actually comical. Daisy would panic and come running back.

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
There's no need to step on her leash. Hannah is just a baby, you need to have positive reinforcement, not hurtful. If she gets out of line and begins to stray from you I would just turn in the other direction calling her name in a fun and happy manner... she'll understand that it's fun to follow mommy... not hurtful if you don't...

That's not true Sammi. I've been doing it with my dog since she was 8 weeks old and she's not the least bit scared of me. I tried turning and running the other way, and she would just stray off and I would have to go after her. The leash stepping thing doesn't hurt them at all, and it most definitely doesn't scare them. Training can be fun, but dogs also learn by correcting unwanted behaviour. Stepping on the leash gets their attention back on you when they start to stray and it teaches them to follow you and pay attention to you. By turning and repeating their name over and over again, all you're doing is teaching them that your voice is annoying and it means nothing when you say their name. Dogs in packs teach by not negotiating with the young pups. If one steps outta line, they get corrected. Human's have started treating dogs like cute and cuddly little teddy bears that shouldn't be disciplined. We're harder on our kids than our canines. There can be no room for a dog to negotiate, or else they will start to challenge more and more to become Alpha. If I ask my dogs to sit, they sit. I don't repeat myself and they know that if they don't sit, I put them into a sit without repeating my command. Next time, they sit the first time.

Some people may not like the above, but that is completely my opinion and how I have trained my dogs. :)

Mysts38
November 5th, 2004, 08:52 PM
As sweet as Hannah is at 3 months,shes not gonna be a puppy forever..and this cute 15lb dog,is gonna turn into a large 65-70 lb adult.She needs to learn now,when she is willing and ready

I dont step on the leash hard enough to snap her neck back or gag her,more like pressure with my foot,so she cant go any further..this proves useful when she is heading for the edge of the property(and road) When I do this,she stops,looks back at me and trots towards me...

For her own safety, and the safety of others,hannah has to learn her limits.If a wolf pup strayed too far from its mother,the mother would immediatly correct the pup,by shaking it,growling and bringing it back to the litter..

Ia not hard on hannah..but I dont baby her when she is being trained either..I make it fun for her,but its still lessons she has to learn..and she is a happy,easy going puppers. Even my vet tonight told me he was amazed at her progress and told me to keep it up..

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 5th, 2004, 09:57 PM
I absolutely *hate* seeing loose dogs, unless they're in a designated offleash park or yard. I've had a lot of problems wtih loose dogs and I've had to call the AC a number of times.

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I absolutely *hate* seeing loose dogs, unless they're in a designated offleash park or yard. I've had a lot of problems wtih loose dogs and I've had to call the AC a number of times.

Hate is such a strong word. Do you call AC just if you see them off leash or do they do something they shouldn't? I agree that offleash dogs should stay off of other people's property 100% of the time. I never let my dogs on other people's property, but I have no qualms about having them off leash. I hope it's not just the sight of them off leash that bothers you.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
November 5th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Well, not really hate, but I just really don't like seeing them run loose. I've had bad experiances, and the times I've called them was when one dog was at the risk of getting hit by traffic and the other times was when they were threatening my dogs. One JRT owner who I reported accused me of having a vicious dog when my dog defended himself! I told him that being the responsible dog owner that I am, that if my dog has to be leashed while going out for a walk, then so should his. He got all huffy, but he got the fine he deserved.

heeler's rock!
November 5th, 2004, 10:24 PM
Well, it's good to know that it isn't just because of dogs being off leash. I agree that if people can't control their dogs offleash, then they shouldn't be offleash. I wouldn't have mine offleash if I didn't feel I could control them. they're not completely there yet, but they're getting better! :D

shaw
November 25th, 2004, 12:43 AM
OMG ! what is the point of owing a dog and training it to be your companion inside and out... if you kennel it or tie it up... come on now.. think about it..
a proper trained dog works with the master - by not only hand command - but voice command - and can go any where anytime and be totally in control.. let your dog run free in a dog park with other doggies to socialize.. but please please don't treat them like wild animals chained - or rope tied....
they will give back 100 fold what you put into loving and caring for them.. trust me.. I have had many and all make me so proud to be their owners.. :thumbs up

Hound_Dog
November 26th, 2004, 12:13 AM
I know this is probably bad of me but I have an amusing story about having dogs off leash.

I live on the fourth floor of a five floor building. Everyday I take my dogs up to the roof for some exercise (The roof is big enough for running around with the luxury of having no people or cars around). Because it's only two flights of stairs, I simply open the door and let the dogs race up the stairs. They know the signal to head upstairs and they always make a beeline for the door to the roof where they wait patiently.

Yesterday, however, was quite hilarious. Usually before letting the dogs go up, I check the fifth floor to make sure no one is there and all of the doors to the suites are closed (only 4 suites per floor). I went up and my bosses' door was wide open. The cleaning lady was there, alone, and was airing out the suite. In my broken Korean, I told her I was going to shut the door because I was taking my dogs to the roof. She ignored me but I closed the door. Dogs went up to the roof and everything was fine.

Suddenly, the door to the roof opened. This NEVER happens because no one is home at this time. My four dogs, off leash obviously, see the cleaning lady coming to hang laundry and they make a break for her....Two C. Spaniels, A Shi Tzu and my mini Dalmation. They only wanted to see who it was.

She didn't freak out too bad but she was a little nervous. After finishing her laundry, she went back down to my bosses' suite. On the way down I told her to make sure the doors were closed.

Half an hour later, I took the dogs down, but my bosses' door was open. It was quite comical to see this poor lady trying to shoe out my dogs with them thinking it was a big game. After about five minutes I managed to get them all out and back into my place.

I can just imagine her going home to her family and telling them that not only did she meet a foriegner who speaks some Korean (very rare where I live) but who had four dogs running amok in the building.

The only thing that could have made it any funnier is if it had been my boss. All of the employees hate her and she freaks out every time she sees a dog. I guess my Shi Tzu makes a pretty dangerous looking dog. :)