Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poor Puppy

Pinky 3
November 1st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Hey eveyone:
I know someone who seems to leave her dog outside all the time. Anyone else experience this, or any advise??? :sad:

melanie
November 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM
is the dog excersised? is it played with? does it have shelter and access to food and water?? is it in at night or has a dog house to sleep in??if it has those things it cannot be considered neglected in australian law, i dont know us or canada but i think the above provisions are fair and right. my dog loves being outside and i often have to con her to get her in, if you were looking in my backyard all day you would think i left her out there all day, i dont, she hangs out there all day of her own free will. and if i go shopping for the day or to some work, she sits outside all day in the sun shine, she has shelter , water , food and is very a happy gal. dogs can be outside and be happy, outside is a natural environment remember, check into it bit more before deciding the dog is neglected or anything.

Mysts38
November 1st, 2004, 07:51 PM
I ditto what Melanie said,is there any way that you can talk to the owner to tell them of your concerns?

If you can get close enough to the dog,is it thin? can you see food/water or adequate shelter? Is it tied up 24/7 or does it just seems like it?

If you do feel concern you can call your local SPCA just to have them come and check it out

We had a neighbour whos dog was outside ALL the time,even in cold,mind you it had access to a garage,but this dog was 10 years old,going blind,it was deaf and had arthritis,and I felt for the poor dog

I finally did something when I saw that the neighbours had gone away and werent around for 3 days..then Icalled..the Spca came,did an investigation and the owner got a warning..The dog has since been put down..and these were suppose to be NICE christian abiding people..so ya never know

Pinky 3
November 1st, 2004, 09:11 PM
It seems to be all day, i have spoke with the owner and she thinks it's just a dog. I take it for walks sometimes, but it's really not my responsibility, plus she's a friedn of mine, so i can't really say too much......i feel bad for the pup, but do i just stand around and watch?????

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM
If she thinks that it is "just a dog" than she must not care for her pet. James and I see it this way. If you want to bring an animal into the house, even if it is just some fish, you had better treat them like you would treat your family. Give them plenty of food, water, and loving. Heck, I get worked up everytime our dog Cano isn't feeling well, or trips over his chain outside. I love that dog as if he were my own child. And James always tells him "Go find mommy". He actually know who mommy and daddy are. He goes right to the one you tell him to go to.
My point is, that if you feel like this issue is neglect, I would try talking to her one more time, and see if maybe she would care enough to take care of him / her properly, or atleast rehome the dog. If not, you should do something about it, even if it is a friend. If she is truely a friend she will understand that you did what you did, because it was in the best interest for the dog.
I hope that everything goes well. Please keep us posted.

melanie
November 2nd, 2004, 03:38 PM
a dog is the legal posession of another, weather we like it or not as long as they are within the law in the treatment of that dog, yes you just have to watch, its part of life, i odnt like the way the lady down the road treats her children but she is within the law so i have to watch, it is just one of those sad facts of growing up, everyone is different and has diferent standards and expectations. not everyone will treat their dogs like we do, we are in fact a minority in this world and there is not a majority of dog owners who treat their pets like kids, right or wrong that is just life and human ego.

if she is not committing abuse, and is provides food, shelter, water she is generally not doing anything wrong in the eyes fo the law and there is nothing that can be done other than appealing to her human side..just to clarify you indicate the dog is outside all day only, i am assuming this means not at night, well as far as the law goes that is not abuse and you have neary a legal leg to stand on. sad but true

tyr
November 2nd, 2004, 04:46 PM
If this person is your friend then as a friend you have free reign to speak your mind. That is how I feel anyway. True friends will forgive you for asking questions that they do not like being asked. Just think about what you would like to say to her and pose it in a way that is the least threatening. Maybe you will help her to realize that what she is doing is not exactly okay. How long has she been a dog owner? Maybe this is all new to her and she still has a lot to learn - you can really help her with this and it may make your bond stronger.

I have been experiencing the same problem. Only I have no idea who these people are. I have never seen them. Every morning I walk to my bus stop and there is a 4 story apartment builing along the way. I am walking at 7:30 -8:00 in the morning. Everytime I see this beautiful Husky dog sleeping on a dog pillow outside on the concrete balcony. I often wonder how long he/she is out there for. Not exactly the safest place to keep your dog out of supervision. Though, they could be up at this time and they just put he/she out there for an hour and this is her scheduled time. I have no idea..... I would feel strange putting my nose in a complete strangers space and asking them questions. I do not know what to do. Nothing, maybe?

heidiho
November 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
So Pinky what is going on with pup??Are u still Pinky??