Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat peeing

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 06:05 PM
I had talked to my sister yesterday. She was telling me how they had to put Sir William ( 15 year old family cat) outside, because my mother had put down new carpet, and he had started urinating on it. He has always either used his litter box or gone outside to do his stuff before. I think the main reasin that he is doing this, is that my mom also boarded up a small hole in the wall, that led to the basement. Sir William always loved hiding in there, and now all of a sudden, he isn't allowed to. Plus there has been alot of remodeling in the house.
Well to get to my point, I told my sister not to let my mom rehome Sir William, and to tell her that I would take him. After all, he is the one that chose us, out of all the other families in the neighborhood. So how can I get him to use the litter box again, if I do take him?
I have heard that you just put them in a separate room, like the bathroom, with their food, water and litter box. Does this actually work.
And yes, if and when we do take him, he will see a vet asap. I think that he is neutered already too, but I am not sure.

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 06:14 PM
He's probably neutered. A male cat couldn't live in a house for 15 years intact - the smell would be unbearable.

Yes, a vet check is the first thing. Also cats dislike change - moreso as they age - and a new carpet is a change. The chemicals that are put in new carpeting could also have caused him to urinate on it.

If his health is fine and there are no crystals in his urine or other physical problems, then confining him to a small bathroom with his litterbox, etc. may work.

Putting a 15 yr old cat outside to face all the hazards of the outdoors is not a good solution.

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM
Sir William was a stray that adopted us about 5 or 6 years ago. He has always been an indoor/ outdoor cat. He loves to hunt. But he NEVER went out during the winter (his choice, he hates the cold).That is why I want to take him. I am afraid that it will be too cold for him, and he won't be used to the cold anymore, being that it has been quite a few years scince he has spent the winter outside.

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
I am really hoping that my mom lets me have him. He has been such a good cat, and I would hate for him to go to anyone besides family. And he seems really picky with people. It took him two years from staying at 5 or 6 different families, before he decided that he wanted to stay with us. So it would be fair to him, if we now tell him he can't be with us anymore. Plus who would take in a 15 year old cat. Probably no one. I really hope that I will be able to take care of him. The only thing I need to find out now, if I do get him, is how I am going to get him here. My mother lives 1300 miles away. But she has been talking about coming to visit, so she may be willing to let Billy tag along for the ride.

badger
November 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM
He must have been a BAD boy to merit such a severe punishment. Tell your mother that if he dies of exposure, she will be very sorry. He needs to be brought in immediately, even if she has to confine him (in a non-carpeted space, such as a bathroom) until she can get him to you. I'm not too sure how cold your winters are but even so, just the loss of his safe, familiar place is catastrophic. Poor Billie. Hope you can rehome him quickly.

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 07:18 PM
My sister is working on getting the garage prepared for him. Right now the tempurature is about 60 degrees F where my mom lives, so it isn't horrible yet. The garage is insulated well, and vehicles are NEVER in there. It is more or less used for keeping the pool toys, and bikes in during the winter. And it is very spacious.
The only way it will be rehomed, is if I am the one it is rehomed with. I just hope that she won't say that I can't have him, because I am pregnant. I love that cat too much to let him out of the family. Plus he is a tabby, just like the Billy is way more cuddly. And he loves olives! But only the green ones. His personality is to die for.