Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone have any advice...

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
..for this person?

Now Iím panicking! I have a beautiful female APT. she is 8 yrs. Of age, is very intelligent and a big sucky baby. She is a red brindle with a white star on her chest. I also have a handsome male APT. he is 3 yrs. Of age, always willing to please. He is black with a side of goofy and adorable. Now because of the legislation thatís going to come through, Iím finding it impossible to adopt them out and only because I canít find a rental property in Ontario that will accept them. Iím at a loss for help, living in London, On. The clock is ticking and their time is running out! My last option is to take them to animal control where I know, and have been told by representatives of that government funded organization, that my dogs will not be adopted out but uthenized.

They are my kids I love them so much. Do you think you can help me? Iím looking for laid back easy going individuals that have a serious love for the pitbull doggies. I would be willing to drive them to a new home of adoption even though itís going to break my heart to pieces. Please Iím begging for any help that will give a solution to this devastating circumstance. Man has really screwed up this time, to punish a breed created for the wrong reasons. HATE is a strong word but thatís exactly how I feel about the people that get a hold of these dogs abuse them, train them to be killing machines and then make the rest of us suffer in bad name, extreme bylaws, and avoidable pitbull aggression and attacks. This is unacceptable to make true animal lovers give up their most loving companions. I start to cry when I see the pained, the unloved, and the misunderstood left to die at the hands of cruelty. PleaseÖplease.. give me a response are there any angels out there that can save my babies from leaving this earth before their time.

Helpless and hopelessly yours

heidiho
November 1st, 2004, 02:39 PM
Peopel that have these dogs really have to get rid of them???????????????????????????????

sammiec
November 1st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Is this person looking for a place to live themselves? Is that why the comment about rental properties? Are they getting rid of them because of the ban?? What about a friend/ relative out of province? Is there hope for that? Even in the US - Michigan?
Is there are reason this person needs to stay in London? Work, family? Just wondering.... does this perosn want them to stay together??

I would suggest finding an adoptive home through friends, posters, listings on petfinder... putting the dog in the shelter right now is sadly a death sentence...
Maybe someone viewing here could meet them and see if they are willing to accomodate two dogs?! :sad:

mastifflover
November 1st, 2004, 02:54 PM
Before any of this crap with a breed ban started it was hard to find a place if you have dogs. Well I found the best thing is not to even mention them. They can't do anything unless your dogs are noisy, threatening, or causing damage to your apt. I had a landlord that threatened to throw me out because I had a dog who did not of the above mentioned things. I told him it was simple I was not moving and if he thought of persuing it further he would lose because he did not have a leg to stand on. My friend who is a lawyer phoned him and said that he was my attorney and that any further communication would have to go through him, and by the way if he was going to go to court with this issue he would end up paying my moving costs and my new rent until the lease was up on my place. They cant do anything about it. But just to be safe check with the landlord tennant board

jackieb
November 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM
what if they cant find an apartmnent that wil allow pets?
Think they should try to advertise them privately first.

ancarett
November 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Checking out the Apartments listings for London, Ontario (click on Advanced Search and in the top box click Pets Allowed): http://www.apartments.ca/search/search.asp?LOCID=572

I found ten listings of apartments that indicated pets allowed, ranging in price from $449-$1475. If you can pass on that resource to this woman, hopefully she can find a place where she can keep her dogs.

sammiec
November 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM
good call ancarett. if it says that they accept animals they can't very well discriminate which, right??

Schwinn
November 1st, 2004, 03:17 PM
My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that a lot of humane societies are able to give them new homes. I've heard that a lot have been adopting them out because of people worried about waiting too long. Also, there was a law passed about 10 years ago that most people do not realize, that a landlord CAN NOT forbid pets. Most leases have not been updated to recognize that. However, they can order you to either leave, or get rid of your pets if they are determined to be a nuisance to your neighbours. They can also restrict the number of pets you have, I believe. Unfortunately, if you are trying to get into a new home, this isn't really a way to get in. I think I would find a place, and not mention the pets unless asked. I would also double-check the law and how it works, but as I mentioned, they can no longer forbid pets.

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 03:24 PM
I have passed on the info, and also the link to this site. I hope this person will come and join the discussion and maybe not feel so panicked and alone.

Thanks.

heidiho
November 1st, 2004, 03:26 PM
I know out here in arizona alot of apts allow big dogs,but there are breed restrictions,my apt there are no restrictions i have seen pit bulls,and i ahd a gsd there.............

melanie
November 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM
they could live in their car if it came to it, hey they have a great security system so they would not get hassled, i would live in my car with my girl if i had no other option, but i would never ever over my dead body give her up for any reason, i love her truly, and i dont give away members of my family, i owuld live in the bush if i had to, anything for my love, my one constant in this huge world of variables, never.

seeker
November 1st, 2004, 09:49 PM
they could live in their car if it came to it, hey they have a great security system so they would not get hassled, i would live in my car with my girl if i had no other option, but i would never ever over my dead body give her up for any reason, i love her truly, and i dont give away members of my family, i owuld live in the bush if i had to, anything for my love, my one constant in this huge world of variables, never.

We need more like you Melanie . I feel the same about my dogs and if I still had my house in Edmonton I would be making moving arrangements right now .