Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kennel bedding/blankets

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 02:24 PM
Hi all!
Well, since Diamond was a puppy, nothing I would do could deter her from chewing her pillows, or blankets. At the moment, she has nothing in her kennel that's soft and comfortable.

She loves her kennel, and will eagerly go in for the night's sleep, but I know dogs like to have blankets to curl up in, or a soft pillow to rest their head on.

The main question of this post, is to find out:

If I give her something to lay on, and she eats it (like I know she will), is it very bad for her? She's already chewed up two pillows, a comforter corner, and my Hudson's Bay blanket. She has items in her kennel to keep her happy as far as chewing goes. She has a large smokie bone, a couple of beef chew sticks (by Rollover), and a toy or two. (she has a VERY large kennel now....big enough for a Dane)

I'd like to give her a nice blanet to curl up in, but I know there'll be some damage in the days to come.

Or.....
Is there anything I can wash the blanket in to make it taste nasty? She likes bitter apple (or at least she did when she was younger), she doesn't mind hot sauce. The only thing that seems to irritate her is the cleaning solution I use on my hardwoods....vinegar and water mix. But, I don't really want to wash the blanket in vinegar because that would bother her eyes and nose from such long exposure...wouldn't it?

Any suggestions would be great folks!!

downloader
November 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
Get yourself a dog pillow. They are made for dog and are tougher, and fit exactly into the kennel

www.bluewhippet.net

Writing4Fun
November 1st, 2004, 09:52 PM
Yeah, must be a GSD thing. Phoebe loves to shred her blanket - but only the one underneath the crate (there to protect the floor from the metal cage). She doesn't do much damage to the two blankets in the crate (maybe because she's only part GSD?), but Oh, BOY! :eek: Does she ever love to rip up the one underneath. I've just come to grips with the fact that she needs to shred something while in her crate, kinda like the way some people shred their napkins. She hasn't yet destroyed (knock on wood) the doggie bed we have for her outside the crate. Besides, these days she's only in her crate when we go out, so there are fewer blanket bits around the house lately. ;)

Sheriffmom
November 1st, 2004, 11:10 PM
Sheriff chewed blankets, pillows, towels etc.... We finally put a rubber backed, soft on top bath mat in there. He tried to chew it once, but stopped. Don't know why??? But for some reason the bath mat worked for him.... It also got rid of the guilt I felt not giving him something comfy to sleep on.. He has outgrown it now for the most part, and he now sleeps in bed :love:

Shelby
November 2nd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Wilson doesn't chew his blanket, but he sometimes chews the foam out of the mat underneath his blanket, and I used to put a pillow in there for him but he chewed a hole in one of the corners and pulls all the stuffing out of the pillows! He went through about 4 pillows! You think I would have learnt the first time....

As far as trying to stop them from chewing, I don't think you can. I just buy cheap mats so that it won't cost me an arm and a leg replacing them.

GsdDiamond
November 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
I'll have to look into the dog pillow. They had better be pretty indestructable. She's got VERY strong jaws and VERY sharp teeth!!! :D

Bath mat huh? Hmmmm.....I'll also have to look into that. Sounds pretty good. It would have to be a huge mat though. She's got the extra large kennel.

Will eating/shredding all these blankets/pillows/mats be bad for her to eat? She won't get sick will she?

Sheriffmom
November 2nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
We have the XL crate as well. We got the bath mat from Walmart for $9.99 it was the "super sized" one. I think it's meant to be put in front of a Jacuzzi tub or something. The ones at Zellers were like $25.

Sheriffmom
November 2nd, 2004, 10:36 AM
Sheriff never got sick shredding things, but I don't know how much he actually got down into his tummy. We were forever pulling stuffing out of his mouth!! I can't see it being great for them though..... just my own opinion, I am def. not an expert on pets trying to turn themselves into stuffed animals. LOL

GsdDiamond
November 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM
LOL

Well, that settles it. I'm going to look at x-large bath mats on my next shopping trip. She's started chewing on her kennel pan (I noticed it yesterday) so maybe something soft for her to chew will deter her.

Thanks all for your thoughts and suggestions! Very much appreciated as always!! :D