November 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
James and I have been on a never ending battle to try to remove the mold and mildew on the tiles in our shower. We have tried product after product, and can't get rid of it. Does anyone know af a product that we can get to remove this stuff. It is really starting to get on our nerves, and we have heard that black mold is bad for your health.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.
November 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Mold and mildew is hard to take off once it is there for a while.
For the...shoot...what's it called..the grout!! (bad brain day!)
For the grout, sometimes the mold has roots that are deeper than the surface. IF you can, rent a dremel tool from Home Depot (unless you have one) and there is an attachment sorta like a little sandpaper head. It can be used to take a think layer of grout off. Home Depot should be able to tell you which one, or go to www.dremel.com. Then you can buy a sealer to seal the gout.
Mold on tiles...usually CLR works. or Vim Cream.
If you have mold/milldew in the sealant around the tub, you can't clean it, you can only remove it and replace it.
I suggest making a trip to HD. buy some grout sealer, rent the tools (you might have to buy the dremel tip but they are cheap), and buy some tub sealer (Mono is what we use here), and get a tub sealer tool...it's like a V shaped piece of plastic at right angles, that gives a nice clean corner on your sealer.
First wash everything with CLR, then rinse, then wash with mild bleach solution, and rinse. Let dry (grout must be dry). Pull off the old sealant around the tub. Run the dremel lightly over all grout lines to remove mold. wipe down to get rid of the dust. Seal the grout. Put new sealer around tub and smooth with the tool. I'll see if I can get a pic of the tool.
I did all this when re-finishing my parents bathroom one summer while they were in mexico. Takes about 3 days. It's the only real way to remove all mold and mildew.
November 1st, 2004, 01:27 PM
Careful though let your partner do it seen as your pregnant some of the fumes of them are heavy. Also good idea to get rid of the fumes before the baby is born and also the mould and mildrew. I used one in enlgland it was simply for mold and mildew kite a smell though when you sprayed it.
November 1st, 2004, 01:42 PM
I really wish that the housing company (we rent ) would have taken care of this issue before we moved in. But they are the type of people, who want as much money as they can get, with repairing as little as possible.
November 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM
Yes. That is true. This is a hubby job. You could probably do the dremel part and where a dust mask, but I wouldn't risk it.
The tool to spread out the sealant (caulk) is called a "Dap Cap".
I could use a vacation, want me to come down and do it for you?? j/k
If you shower later one evening, then clean the tub after the shower. Let it dry overnight, do all the other stuff the next day, then 24 hours for sealant to dry, then you can use it the next evening. 48 hours.
Oh, and do not put new caulk over the old, mildew will thrive in the space between and come through the new caulk.
November 1st, 2004, 02:03 PM
Thanks, the mold is mostly on the caulk. I will tell James that we will just have to remove it, and put new stuff down. There is a little bit of mold on the grout, under the soap dish, but the spot is no bigger that the size of a pencil eraser. But I am sure that it will spread in time. We will worry about the mold on the caulk first. It is really bad. The grout will have to wait until a different pay period. With only $650 a pay check, it is hard to get things we should for the apartment. I am just happy that we have enough money to take care of Cano, and provide him with a loving home.
The two of you have been alot of help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks guys :)
November 1st, 2004, 02:34 PM
THen just do the caulk. You can easily rip it up, use a safe scraper (so you don't damage the tile). Then just lay down the new caulk.
I was looking for info ont the DAP CAP. There is a caulk made by DAP that has the took attached to the package.
The tool is a must if you are doing it. And it's sticky stuff. I think you can actually use the tool to lift the old stuff as well. Caulk is cheap, under $10 which is good too, and you shouldn't need more than one tube.
November 1st, 2004, 03:52 PM
I just told my husband, James, about the info, he said that it is in the contract that the housing company is supposed to do that kind of stuff. So he is going to call them tomorrow, and tell them that if they aren't our here to fix it within the next week, that he is going to talk to someone. I can't remeber if it is the first sergeant or his general, or something. He had to do the same thing, for the company to give him a house. But we are going to get CLR tonight to atleast wash everything with. The housing company could very well get into trouble just giving us the house. James told them that I was expecting when he was in the process of getting a house, over 5 months ago. And the mold was here when we moved in.