Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rescue dog

jackieb
November 1st, 2004, 12:00 PM
In the spring next year we are going to get a dog we are currently reasearching were to get one and what to do. I have 3 small children and yes i do have the time for a dog as i will make it!!
We really want a english mastiff but theese are hard to find i have found and am in contact with the rescue society i want a young one due to the size and the children.

I am now considering a young bullmastiff or dogue de bordeaux would anyone no of any rescues which will let me adopt one with my 3 YOUNG children all under 5 years .

thanks

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Have you done a lot of research about Dogues? They can be much more reactive and aggressive towards strangers than English Mastiffs.

They can also be VERY dog aggressive and a rescue would not be comfortable placing a 120lb dog-aggressive dog with small children around.

I'm sorry if you already know all this and are capable of handling a dog like this.

You might want to contact this DDB Rescue (http://www.mypetweb.com/ddbs/) and discuss your needs with them. An older dog whose temperatment is already known might be good for you!

mastifflover
November 1st, 2004, 12:42 PM
Jackie I do not reccommend a Dogue with children. I really like them but they are definitely more dog aggressive than the sweet English they are also more aloof. I do have a friend with one very nice dog but she said she would not get another one if she decides to have kids. She loves this girl but said she would not have the same amount of trust with a dogue as opposed to her english. They were bred to be more aggressive and as we all know that it is a matter of how they are raised but she said that she does see a big difference between her English and her dogue. But she also said they are great dogs and fiercly loyal as all mastiffs.

jackieb
November 1st, 2004, 01:02 PM
I will stick to a english mastiff then if i can find one didnt realise dogues were aggresive what i read up on them was they were an even-tempered breed that enjoys human companionship, these dogs become very loyal to their families.

thanks though i do prefer the english mastiff as ive owned one but they are hard to come buy. So i will keep hunting and looking around

Lucky Rescue
November 1st, 2004, 01:15 PM
Yes, they are loving and loyal to their families, but only people very experienced and equipped to handle very large, very protective and dog-aggressive dogs should own one. Add to that the fact that they are no doubt being improperly bred.

Their ferocity has been somewhat toned down by selective breeding but I feel they are not a dog for most people. This is shown by the fact that they are still considered a "rare breed" in this country, yet so many of them are being dumped by people who wanted a new status symbol or fad but found they couldn't handle it.:(

A nice Eng. Mastiff would be a better choice.:)

jackieb
November 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
this was my first choice lucky rescue but they are hard to come buy and puppys are very expensive!! But i have lots of time to do reasearch and find one so fingers crossed i will !!

DogueLover
November 5th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I take exception to the reference to Dogues being agressive and not recommended for families. I have a female Dogue and she is the best dog we have ever had when it comes to our family. She has NO dog agression and to stereotype this wonderful breed is just wrong..... now I see where people get there ideas about pitbulls and rottweillers.
We raised Rottweillers for a long time and decided to get our Dogue when we lost our Rottis, (that is when they passed away) they are hard to find, Very expensive to buy, and not for everyone.
My experience with my Dogue is that she is very strong willed, sometimes to the point of being ignorant, but she is incredibly intelligent and as I said before the best family dog we have ever had.
Please do not post stereotypically incorrect information about these dogs as I feel it is an injustice to the breeders and owners who have these dogs for all the right reasons

jackieb
November 5th, 2004, 03:44 PM
thankyou for your opion i actually thought they could make a good family pet but i do love the english mastiff just cant afford a pup and not many rescue.

mastifflover
November 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Sorry doguelover my friends is a rescue and by going back and reading my post I did not mention that but she said that she would only consider another with kids as a pup that she raised. I am sorry I love this breed and did not mean to diss it. I was not clear as I have had a very hellish week with my new rescue.

Lucky Rescue
November 5th, 2004, 08:01 PM
She has NO dog agression and to stereotype this wonderful breed is just wrong..... now I see where people get there ideas about pitbulls and rottweillers.

As a pit bull owner, I certainly do not buy into stereotypes. My pit bull is not particularly dog aggressive. However, if someone here was thinking of getting a pit bull for the first time, I wouldn't tell them not to worry about dog aggression, just because MY pit bull is o.k. Some breeds are disposed towards dog aggression, and it's better to expect it and to be prepared.

No one is saying that Dogues are not a wonderful breed, just that they may not be right for someone who is used to, or wants, a different kind of temperament.

jackieb
November 6th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Although i think the douge de bordeaux is a lovely breed think as im looking for a dog very good with children i have 3 think i might stick with getting a english mastiff if i ever get hold of one lol!!

No offence i like the dogue just think it may be the wrong dog for me this will be my 2nd dog the first being a english mastiff.

DogueLover
November 14th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Jackie,
I have 4 kids, two teen age boys and 2 under 5 and a 2 1/2 year old Dogue de Bordeaux.
I will admit that a Dogue is not exactly the breed for anyone and that they may not be the best pet for a first time dog owner, however, you have a Mastiff now.........if I read correctly.
There are few Dogue de Bordeaux rescues out there and most of the dogs I have seen in the rescue are older and in the USA.
I am actually happy to hear that there are not a lot of these dogs in rescues, at least there are reputable breeders out there and they are not over breeding and flooding us with this breed.
I know also where you are coming from when you say you can look after the dog and your kids, it is quite the balancing act but it can be done. ;) Heck, I do it every day!
I hope you find your new dog, you probably won`t find a Dogue in a rescue that suits your family, ( I think bringing them across the border could be a PITA with the quaranteen they insist on) but I wish you luck.
Tell me that this pic doesn`t say something in the Bordeaux`s defense though

jackieb
November 15th, 2004, 06:21 AM
Thankyou Dogue i dont know as much about dogs and i did think that the dogue de bordeaux could make a good family pet but wanted other opinions.
I do not have a dog yet my first dog which died was a english mastiff i fell in love with the breed. The only problem is the cost of the puppys at 2500 cad each i might have the money but couldnt justify it on a dog when im saving for a house etc. Asw for the quaratine didnt think there was any from america to canada just thought they had to have up to date shots and a rabies shot etc.

I am looking for a dog for next spring when i get my new house we have been suggested that a young dog would be better suitated due to our small children help the dog and the children adjust to the size. I have 3 boys 4 and half 3 and 16 months i did have the mastiff and two of the boys and managed i know i can manage. I also am in alot so the dog wouldnt be left long and i would take it training etc and we all want a dog so the responsibilities can be taught to the children.

thanks for sharing dogue