Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Diets - Dr. Bernstein

BamaRama
October 31st, 2004, 02:24 PM
For those of you in Ontario/Canada that have heard of the Dr. Bernstein health and weight loss clinics, I'm wondering, did you know anyone that has done it and been successful?

I have an appointment Tuesday morning for a consultation and I'm quite looking forward to it. I'm not going to say how much, but I have a LOT of weight to lose! And I want to do it now, while I'm young, (22) so I can enjoy my 20's as a healthy woman! ;)

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 02:51 PM
yay for you, you can do anything you watn to, only you control your life and existance. it is totally your choice to do this, you can do anything if you really wnat it enough, and sound like you do missy. :crazy:

always always remember, 'life is not a dress rehersal', do it all now, do what you want and need to be happy and healthy and live a long life, you may only get one chance and dont you watse it, you make your life and world everythign you wnat and more, only you can do it.

now get on out there, stay positive, and do it all for you, make sure you do it for you and you alone. this is yoru reality no one elses, you deserve it, your health deserves it, GO GET EM LADY, GO GET LIFE :D :D :D :crazy:

(i love motivating ppl, should be a motivational speaker, but i love to see woman making themselves happy, and that makes me so happy and excited for you gals)

Mysts38
October 31st, 2004, 03:07 PM
I know of many people who went on the Bernstein diet,lost weight and gained it all back within 6 months.The diet is VERY calorie restrictive,and to some people,very dangerous. :eek:

Read what CBC Canada Marketplace has to say about the Bernstein diet

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/health/bernstein_diet/index.html

I lost 25lbs on the South Beach Diet,where for the first two weeks,you cut out all carbs and sugar...It was hard the first week,but became easier,and its a lifestyle I can live with now..I dont eat processed sugary foods anymore.I lost 11 lbs my first two weeks on the South Beach diet

Studies have shown that people who go off sugar do loose weight and most of it around their stomachs

If you want to know more about the South Beach diet,go to the link below..

http://groups.msn.com/SouthBeachDiet

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 03:38 PM
i dont reccomend any diet that removes carbs form the diet completly or any product, such as atkins, it has proven very dangerous and will not lead to weight loss, depriving yoru body of the essential makes it want them 10fold. that is why so many diets fail, they work on deprivation so when diet is over they are more focused on and you eat it more, you begin to see it as areward and also on the concept of the short term, ie the idea that one day you will go off the diet, that is when the weight to come back on. a decision to healthy eating, excersise, longevity of health and life is the goal here, not to be a supermodel.

remember there are 8 supermodels in the world, and about 6 billion woman who arent :thumbs up .

the best weight loss program i have ever seen and is cheap, is weight watchers. i have seen so many woman turn their lives around using weight watchers, it is cheap, easy to do, realistic diets and you ahve huge support groups from the ppl in your meeting groups. i have never ever seen a more effective or widly used program, not to mention the longevity of the program proves it works, when i was a little girl i use to go with my nana to her weigh ins, that was over 20yrs ago, so weight watychers has been around a long time and wildy used an proven to work. my sister lost around 70pound on their program, and kept most of it off (had a baby since so that has had an effect) but she has just gone back to her group and she has a big weight problem, its not she is that big, but she has eating probles such as emotional eating, weight watchers has helped her so much, btu they odnt do it like nazis either, you cna have lots of foods, even some treats, and you learn so much about nutrition you are all armed up for future battles. good luck, remember weight loss does not have to cost you a fortune,. check out the weight wtachers web sites, they also have alot of great low cal recepies on there as well that are really yummy. do what you feel will be right for you :D :thumbs up

BamaRama
October 31st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Mysts..thanks for that article, it was great...very informative, though I do notice that it only interviewed people that didn't keep the weight off and that found problems with it..in other words, a 'negative' view of the dr. b diet.. I have heard great things about it from people I do know personally, but I did want to come here and see if anyone else had experienced it.

I'm keeping an open mind about it, I will try it, and if I feel light-headed and dizzy like some of those patients claim, then I will stop immediately.

My problem is that I feel as if I've tried everything else, including weight watchers, and this is the first time in my life when I've been stable enough to be able to seriously commit to a program, so we'll see what happens.

I appreciate the info! I will let you know how things go.

BamaRama
October 31st, 2004, 04:53 PM
Oh, and Mel, thanks for all the encouragement;) Yes, you SHOULD be a motivational speaker! :)

Mysts38
October 31st, 2004, 06:51 PM
I lost my first 30lbs on weight watchers and it was great,however I found it too liberal with the foods you are allowed to eat.Weight watchers allows people to still have junk food etc...and that isnt teaching someone how to change their eating lifestyle. Junk food,starches and sweets is what made them overweight in the first place,and by allowing people to continue to eat that way,doesnt change their food mindset

On South Beach,the carbs you cut out at first are all the starches,such as rice,bread,pasta etc...and you still get plenty of good carbs in the form of all you can eat vegtables..it allows cheese and dairy products,but doesnt allow sugar or starchy carbs for just the first two weeks

6+ plus later I have lost weight,kept it off and no longer have the desire to eat anything sugary...and my blood sugar has remained stable for that length of time(iam hypoglycemic)

I found it a sound way to loose weight is all :thumbs up

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 07:33 PM
whole heartedly agree, to many starches, sugars, carbs in todays diet, and yes you are 100% right when you say theuy come from other foods, i just get scared when i see ppl art the exteme like atkins, its freaky what ppl will do to themselves (shaking head at silly ppl :D ). but cutting down sugar, carbs and that sort of stuff has proven very effectyive in weight loss, and you end up all healthy with lots of energy to spare, go get em lady :D

CyberKitten
October 31st, 2004, 08:32 PM
As someone who once worked ad as medical professional (and continue to do biotech research), I only want to say this diet is extremely unhealthy. That said, I did help a friend to design a low carb diet site but I do not advise doing the whole low carb diet. But it is not rocket science to know that we eat too many starches and sugar and refined foods. The low carb diet proves well for folks who want to lose extreme amounts of weight in a short period of time but the key is to formulate a plan in which one changes one's lifestyle. We need to eat less, exercise more and practice good preventive health care. There is no easy way to lose weight. It is easier to keep it off than it is to take it off (Quite clearly stating the obvious, lol). Each of us is different. Some people do well in groups like Weight Watchers and Curves with friends. Others are more solitary and need to do it with the aid of health care professionals.

I think what is needed is a multidisciplinary approach - when I was first in school (i.e university), med schools did not teach nutrition. But a GP can refer you to a dietician and newly graduated doctors are more concerned with wellness strategies than pushing pills (if they are good that is!).

Sorry to go on at such length but I have seen too many patients come in with screwed up eletrolytes after bad diets with sometimes deadly consequences. Diet sensibly!!!

raingirl
November 1st, 2004, 07:28 AM
Be careful with Dr. Berstein. His program costs TONS of money. I know someone (a friend who is a model who wanted to lose 30 pounds after having her son) who paid $600 for one month! His program is not cheap! I think it's like $100 per week or more for monitering and such, plus food and supplements.

You have to go to the clinic several times per week for injections of vitamins which if you went to your family doc would be covered by OHIP, but not at his clinic.

See this page:

http://www.nutrimundo.com/diets/dr_bernstein_diet.html

Not worth it. You will lose your good muscle as well as the fat, and your body will go into starvation mode, which is when any fat that is in your deit will get stored because your body thinks there isn't enough food to survive. Dr. Bernstein removes most fat, so your body won't store it. But then once you are done, you will easily gain it back if you go back to the same way of eating. Dr. Bernstein doesn't even teach you how to eat well.

You need fat and carbs to survive.

The best way to eat is lean meats, low fat dairy, and no white carbs (no processed sugars, no white rice, no white bread, no white pasta). Sugars naturally found in food are ok. It's best to eat the fruit as opposed to drinking the juice (eat the apple, skip the apple juice).

If you really want to lose weight, hire a nutritionist and a meal planner. It's were you should put your money. A meal planner will work with the nutritionist to plan your diet to lose weight. They go shopping with you (and keep you from buying the bad stuff) and you learn at the same time. After a few months, you learn enough to do it on your own. It takes about one day a week, but totally worth it. They take you to the store, you buy your weeks groceries, they come home, and you prepare all your meals for the week (pre-bagging meats in marinades, etc) so all you have to do is pop things out and eat without thinking about it. They will also go through you kitchen and get rid of all the bad stuff. And most offer counselling if you feel you need it.

jackieb
November 1st, 2004, 07:32 AM
Not sure what this particular diet is but i had friends who went on a Aitkens diet and put it all back on . My sister is on and off diets all the time were as my dad decided to change his eating habits and has lost 2 stone and kept it off for about 2 years so i dont think there is any quick fix.
Just be careful

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 12:30 PM
My sister's friend was on the Aitken's diet, she lost her weight, and went off the diet, she ended up in the hospital because of the change in diet, and she was in the ICU for a week.
My dad works in the medical field and he has always said that he HIGHLY suggests health food only, and lots of excersise, instead of dieting. He has seen many patients with health issued due to the new diets that are out, and says that they ARE NOT healthy for you. My dad himself was overweight. and by eating right, and doing his excersise, he lost about 30 pounds in about 4 months. He said losing more than 10 pounds a month is NOT healthy. He is still working on losing some of his weight, due to heart problems, but his goal now is only 3 or 4 pounds a month. He goes to the gym daily, and walks an the tredmill, and works on the lower body, He doesn't strain his upper body too much anymore.
I highly suggest trying to aviod these new diets, and just eat healthy and work out alot more. It is alot healthier, and you can tone your body at the same time.

Sheriffmom
November 1st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Hi guys, I work in the medical field. After talking to a few of the nurses up in dialysis I was completely turned off Atkins and Doc B. They were saying that since those diets (low/no carb) came out, there has been a drastic increase in ppl with kidney problems. The diet very adversly affects kidney function.

My mom lost like 30lbs on Jenny Craig. She loved it because she didn't have to buy their foods forever, they gradually taught her how to cook/ and pick foods that were more healthy. While she was still on their food, she began cooking using Jenny Craig recipes for my Dad.... He lost like 40lbs, and in half the time it took my Mom (SHe was Peeved!!!) My dad actually had to stop eating the Jenny recipe foods, because he was loosing too much weight too fast (with no change in exercise!! and not feeling hungry!). I have to say, if (when) I go on a diet, it will more than likely be Jenny Craig.... just because I've seen first hand the results my parents had.

BamaRama
November 1st, 2004, 09:54 PM
Hmm...Well after much deliberation and all of the negative feedback I've gotten about the Dr. Bernstein program, I've decided to do things the old fashioned way...Someone at school today even told me that they ended up hospitalized from the program... :mad:

My plan? To follow Canada's food guide to healthy eating, as well as joining Curves...I have an appointment to sign up tomorrow evening.

Yay me!

crazyhorse
November 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM
Wow what a wonderful gift to yourself. Just a few things I have learned along the way. Education learning what you need in a BALANCED diet and a healthy life style. Time, set small goals, the slower weight is lost the better chance to keep it off. A journal is very important, not just for the food you ate but for motivation,expressing yourself, this book is great for venting. Sometimes this may become very emotional time as well. You will learn alot about yourself. The most important tip....you may think this is silly but it not. Love youself and take pride in everyting you do. Just remember baby steps; you will and can do it for yourself. If along the way you fall off the horse, get up dust yourself off and get back on.

Iggette
November 2nd, 2004, 07:13 AM
Glad to see you have choosen health instead of giving Dr. :evil: Bernstein your money :thumbs up

I have been trying diets for years (about 7) but I get bored with them all to fast because they are always so far away from a regular diet which is the key to loosing weight.

Some tips:
-look at the ingrediants of things, very important, there are hidden sugars in almost all processed foods when you eat what you think is a healthy meal :eek:

-try skim milk instead of whole

-if you have to have coffee.....no cream (i used skim milk) same with tea.....I used the sweeteners.

-Try to stay away from all processed foods, fresh is much more healthy

-use less butter or no butter on veggies etc.... try new herbs for flavour instead, I like a little lemon on my broccoli instead of butter same on asparagus

-There are alot of sites that show you the natural sugars that some veggies have.....try to limit those ones.

-make your portions smaller

-omit from your diet....rice (use brown)...sugar..(use sweetener if you need it but don't over do it)...pasta....and white bread ...a big no no I used dempsters new brand of breads the flax or honey oat was my favorite, but I would limit to 2 slices per day and if I went without even better....there are some diabetic jams that are good not so much sugars, again dont over indulge

-snack on apples....a good filler just before mealtime so your not thinking you want to over indulge.

-just drink water, try to stay away from pop and other energy drinks loaded with caffeine and sugars, (I liked a twist of lemon in mine)

-I never deprived myself of sweet things I was just very careful not to over indulge....ei. if everyone was eating chocolate cake.....and I was drooling :rolleyes: I would have just a sliver or none at all

-make things harder for your self....ei. walk up two flights instead of the elevator......park farther away from the door when shopping.......find reasons to go up and down stairs all the time while doing house work ( I had just moved so it was easy to do)

Doing all these things is just common sence dieting (IMHO)
and doesn't require a whole revamping of the kitchen supplies (usually ;) )

I found that a pedometer helped me see the excersise I was getting and urged me to try harder the next day as far as walking was concerned.

Good luck with your weight lose......one of the hardest things to do but when complete you will be healthier and happier :party: :thumbs up

Sunkist/Winnie
November 2nd, 2004, 11:40 AM
Believe it or not it's the small changes that make a difference. And they are easier to make because they seem so small!

- don't think of it as a diet...it's a lifestyle change, because when you've lost the weight you want to lose you will still eat like you have been, or else you'll just put the weight back on
- remember what you drink has calories too, lots of times people think if you don't have to chew it it doesn't count. I never thought that the juice and milk that I was drinking added to my calorie intake for the day.
- cut down or out the butter and oils
- BBQ or broil instead of frying
- make your food interesting with spices, just because you are eating healthy doesn't mean it can't taste great!
- allow yourself a treat after all you deserve it for choosing a healthy lifestyle - it could be a great new pair of pants that fit, or a manicure, or two of the most decadent chocolates that you've ever tasted
- I like to read diet books, you do pick up ideas and pointers, but you have to customize an eating plan that works for your tastes and life style. Most diets advocate eating lots of fish...I'm allergic so I can't follow a typical diet.
- remember to add exercise, it helps you lose the weight and keep it off. Plus it's a great way to get more energy

It's a learning experience I think, learning what's good to eat, how much you really need, what you need to eat in order to maitain a healthy weight. Once you are in tune with your body's needs it's a little easier.

And most of all...if you have a bad day, or week or month...just get back to your healthy plan as soon as you can. No need to beat yourself up about it.

Good luck!!!

raingirl
November 2nd, 2004, 11:49 AM
You know what's funny. I changed my eating habits when I moved to University in 97.

Iggette, I do all the things you listed abov, and I've hit a brick wall! No weight loss on 3 years. It sucks. I'm not saying it to discourage anyone (not my intention), but I'm still 20lb over what my max should be.

I have a low fat, low cholesterol, low carb diet (by low carb, I mean I eat the min required in daily requirements). I do cardio 40 mins, 5 times a week, weight training on weekends.

Maybe when I get a dog, I'll lose some more because of extra cadio from the walks.

I've just sorta given up. Maybe my body has reached it's ideal weight??

LL1
November 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
I was on his diet and it was great for me. $300 a month I believe. You buy all the food at the grocery store and you can get the 2 vitamins from him. You can follow this easily as a vegetarian as well.

Your bloodwork, measurements, blood pressure, weight and urine are regularly monitored.

Obviously when you finish the diet if you don't follow his maintenance program you will gain all the weight back. That happens with every diet.

Be careful with Dr. Berstein. His program costs TONS of money. I know someone (a friend who is a model who wanted to lose 30 pounds after having her son) who paid $600 for one month! His program is not cheap! I think it's like $100 per week or more for monitering and such, plus food and supplements.

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM
I have heard great things about Curves! Good luck BamaRama! Glad you made the choice you did!!!!!

lilith_rizel
November 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Raingirl,

I know of lots of people who are just like you. I have sisters in fact that are more on the husky side. My mom is fairly skinny, but my dad, is big boned. He has lost almost all the weight he can now, and the medical charts still say he's over weight, but with his body structure, he's not really. It all depends on the way your bone structure is built. A wider rib cage generally means, you will apear bigger. I am 5 foot 2 inches, and weigh 130 pounds. I wear a size 11 jeans. I am more or less like my father, a bit on the bigger side. And believe it or not, most guys, atleast where I am from, don't like women who are pencil thin. My husband James says that I am ideal size, for him. And that women who are skinny, actually make him sick, because of their slenderness.
According to the charts at the doctors office, I should weigh about 115, for my height. So don't worry, Alot of women are bigger, and I think that as long as you eat right, and take care of your body, there is nothing wrong with it, and it is actually kind of nice not being all skin and bones. I know, up until 7th grade, I weighed 85 pounds. No matter what I ate, I wouldn't gain weight. I am so glad I did. I looked like I had an eating disorder, and I hated it. I wouldn't loose any weight now, no matter what. I am completely happy with the way I look.

crazyhorse
November 4th, 2004, 05:56 AM
I was just wondering how everything went at Curves. I hope all went well. Just curious and hope your not getting fustrighted. As you can see there is alot of support here for you.

wAggie
November 4th, 2004, 11:12 AM
bamarama,

my bf's sister's been on this "diet" for the past 7+ months.

she has yet to loose pounds.

I do NOT recommand it. go w the exercise, and start eating less, and eating healthier.

but #1 thing that's gonna cut down the weight IS exercise. something ppl do so little of...

gl :)

Writing4Fun
November 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Curves was great! You're gonna love it. :thumbs up I was only there for a month or so before becoming pregnant. I would have continued through my pregnancy, but started having complications so I stopped. Anyhow, in the month that I was there, I lost an inch. I agree wholeheartedly with Waggie et al - exercise and eating sensibly are the only way to go. Don't deprive yourself of the good stuff, either! A little indulgence is good for the soul! ;)

lilith_rizel
November 4th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Speaking of pregnancy, what kind of excersises are safe to do. I am in my 3rd trimester right now. I want to do something, so I will stay somewhat a fit as I was before I was pregnant. Right now, I haave just been taking 20 minute walks, and climbing stairs. But it is starting to get harder to do these, being I get worn out easily now. Are there any others that I could do as well?

Writing4Fun
November 4th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't overdo it, Lilith. My doctor once told me that being pregnant is equivalent to running a 50K marathon, in regards to the amount of energy it takes. You're in your third trimester. Wow! If you're getting tired, then your body is telling you to slow down. Walking and eating right are your best bets at this point. Don't worry about staying in shape - plenty of time for that later. Right now, your baby needs all the energy you can muster! :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
November 4th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I never really thought about how much I do in one day, until your reply. I have to clean house everyday, which is alot of stair climbing! And I have to take care of Cano, 9 month yellow lab! I probably don't even need to take my walks once a week. Cano alone is a handful, and can wear me out within a matter of an hour. So I will take your advise and slow down. Maybe I will do housework in the morning, and Cano in the afternoon, with a nap in between.

crazyhorse
November 5th, 2004, 04:36 AM
If you really feel as you need to do something for yourself, in your third tri and Doc says it's ok go swimming. Just a leisure swim it helps to realx you and takes to pressure off the lower part off your body. After walking in the pool it is ammazing how great you feel

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 08:21 AM
I should ask my doctor about that. James tries to go to the pool to do laps on wwekends and he has asked if I wanted to came before. I haven't been in a real pool for almost a year! I would really enjoy going swimming.

Writing4Fun
November 5th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Lilith, when I was pregnant, I looked up a lot of info on webmd.com. I just did that for swimming, and they say (of course, ask your doctor first) that it's the best exercise for you along with walking. You should check them out. They have a really cool pregnancy calculator that tells you what your body and your baby might be doing as your pregnancy progresses. Very neat.

lilith_rizel
November 5th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Babycenter.com is sorta like that. According the my calculator there, Judith weighs about 4 pounds, and is about 17 inches in length. I will look at the one site as well, next to pets ca, it is my favorite site.

krdahmer
November 5th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Good for you Bama! :D And definitely get it done while you are young. I have always been large, but not always "obese". I only have 6 years on ya, but man are those 6 years the hardest to take off!!! And don't get discouraged if you have a big number to overcome....I'm working on 160 lbs :eek: that are still left to go! Just remember that exersise is THE key. Period. And try not to get caught up on 'fad' diets, I've seen far too many success stories turn into failures that way (especially with Dr.B, there is a significant % who gain most, all or more of the weight back once they stop the shots-and it is also very expensive). Weight Watchers seems to be the closest to a non-fad diet out there (my best friend lost like 50+ lbs, and is keeping it off). And although Dr.Phil is a pompous ass most times, his books really do help you get to the WHY part of a weight problem, and give you some common sense tools to use. I wish you the best of luck.... :thumbs up

Delirium
November 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Not reading the entire thread but adding my two cents to the original topic.

I know two people who did Berstein. Both are now heavier then when they started. However their wallet is alot lighter. Its unrealistic as far as i'm concerned.

However, I do Weight Watchers online and love it! No meetings, all internet. I lost 29.5lbs and have kept it off since last August!

Gotta say, its not for everyone, but for me, Weight Watchers seems to be the most balanced and realistic one out there. I find it naturally made me eat better as I relentlessly tried to find ways to cram more food into my allotted points heh. Suddenly, a half a plate of veggies at dinner sounded great because they were free! O points! heh

Still do it to maintain and it works well for me.

Dee