Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maggie

phagenbuch
October 31st, 2004, 02:13 PM
Friday evening I came home to find my (almost) ten yr. old Golden dead. There was some bubbly saliva at her mouth. The only warning signs that something was wrong was that she had not eaten her dinner. She was eating fine before that, acting normal, and generally active. Earlier in the week I thought she was breathing with a throaty sound, but that didn't last. Another time she seemed to be breathing harder than normal. Wednesday eve., however, she went for her usual vigorous walk and Thurs. she seemed fine.

I've never experienced the death of a pet and was overwhelmed with grief Since it was late at night and I knew a vet couldn't bring her back to me, I buried her thinking I couldn't bear to see her like that in the morning. Now, I wish I had taken her to the emergency vet so that I might have some idea as to what caused her death. Can anyone give me some insight as to what might have happened?

doggy lover
October 31st, 2004, 02:45 PM
Sorry to here about your dog, it must have been a shock to find her that way. I know how it feels I lost my dog to cancer in January and I still cry for him. I miss him like crazy. Could she have gotten into something? I not big into illnesses but I know some of the other people here are maybe they can help.

CyberKitten
October 31st, 2004, 03:09 PM
Hugs to you. I lost my geriatric bunny last summer and am still mourning him. There are some pet loss resources online and in fact perhaps on this site. Pets are a part of our lives and our family so it is normal to grieve them!

Shaykeija
October 31st, 2004, 03:27 PM
:sorry: about your dog. I lost a golden and a llhasa mix in 2002 within weeks of each other and I lost another in Janaury. I still miss them. Its hard but grief is a part of life. Don't let the grief take over. I know there will be days of sadness in the days to come, but you will remember your fur kid with a smile and fond memories. Your dog is still very much part of you. She has just gone on a journey without you for a while. When your time comes, she will be waiting for you. I know this just happened, but I found for myself i got a puppy. It's wasn't a replacement for Akeija or Shayker or Dallas but it helped heal a hurting heart. My thoughts are with you right now like everyone who will read your message. Again :sorry:
Vanja
Missie the terrible Poo Terri-poo
Sophie the Shih Tzu
Piper the mountain lion cat

Lucky Rescue
October 31st, 2004, 05:31 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I have lost many many pets and grieve each one of them. After all, they ARE part of the family.:(

Many things could have caused your dog's death...heart failure, an undetected illness, but it's impossible to know.

Your dog had a long and wonderful life with you. I know that will not make you miss her less, but it may comfort you a bit.

If you like, you can put a little memorial to sweet Maggie in the Virtual Pet Cemetary (http://www.pets.ca/petsites/index_cemetery.php)

sue fox
October 31st, 2004, 05:53 PM
I'm sooo sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our Beloved Roxy this Aug. and even though her illness was long asked ourselves many questions afterwards she was only 8.6yrs. The what ifs? can drive you around the bend but this is all a part of the grieving process. I still see her everywhere. We got a puppy within a wk, definitely not to replace her, and he has really helped and continues to. Remember you are in mourning of your pet and let it happen. The not knowing can be really hard and frustrating. Again I'm soo sorry for your loss.
Love and Peace :angel:

glasslass
October 31st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Losing a pet is like losing a child - devastating! I still cry over the ones I've loved and lost. But the memories are wonderful. Don't be ashamed to grieve. I know people who aren't pet-lovers don't understand. When you're ready, I hope you will consider another puppy. It won't be able to replace your beloved pet, but you'll find yourself remembering so many happy memories, as well as making new ones. Welcome to the forum. I hope we'll hear more from you and in happier times. Do you have a picture of your golden to share?

CityLimits
November 1st, 2004, 10:04 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I went through something similar just a year ago. My dog died right in front of me. One minute he was in the kitchen begging for scraps and the next he took a few deep, throaty breaths and he was gone. He was only about 4 years old. I too decieded to bury him in the back yard as it was very late and I couldn't think of seeing him like that in the morning. I still wonder what happened to him and sometimes wish I took him in to the vet to find out. However, how I look at it is the dog had been through enough and it wouldn't bring him back if I knew what happened. I just wanted him to rest in peace. When ever I start getting sad I try to remeber all the good times I had with him and how he always made me laugh. Take care.

mastifflover
November 1st, 2004, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry about the loss of your baby. It is awful when they pass over to rainbow bridge with no warning. My heart goes out to you I know exactly how you feel as most of us do having lost a loving pet.

Luvmypit
November 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Im really sorry for your loss. I know how it feels and only animal lovers can truly sympathize. :sorry: :angel: . I hope you take the joy you both shared as fond memories rather then the way he died. If its going to consume you not knowing I would suggest talking to a vet and asking if it would be too late to run some tests. The scary part would be to unearth him. It could be anything from poison, to choking or heart failure. It may do good to see what caused it. Just a thought. Again I am sorry and I will pray for your baby and you to help you get through this.

Delirium
November 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM
If a dead 3 year old hamster can have my boyfriend standing in the rain at 10pm on the front lawn with a shovel crying his eyes out, you have every right to be upset about this. Grief is one of the most difficult emotions to process because it represents deep deep loss. What you lose doesn't matter, the hurt is all the same.

Unfortunately i've had my share of loss lately. I lost my mother to a heart attack at the age of 53 September 19th of this year. She died at home, in bed, and like you with your dog, I was the one that found her. Odd experience isn't it? One that's not as scary or shocking as one might imagine. Just very surreal and unforgetable. I feel a bit of a connection with you knowing that you've gone through it as well. I don't think people who haven't can really truly understand what its like although, bless them, they try.

Thankfully, Mom was an animal lover her whole life. If I know her (and I do) she was probably up there happily greeting your little pal as he came across the bridge. If angels have jobs, i'm sure that's one of the ones she picked.

Now, your little guy is in paradise with tons of people who love him and you'll see him again, I promise. The wait sucks but the idea is to do as much as you can while you're down here so that you can tell them all about it when you get there too.

Dee

MPickering
November 1st, 2004, 01:28 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I definately can relate to how you're feeling, we lost our Peaches (1.5 year old shih tzu) last week. I was completely devastated. But I did the same thing you did, came onto the forum for some help. There are many wonderful people here to offer advice, and a shoulder to cry on. They made a few suggestions that made me feel better, let me share these with you. First, they suggested that I make a memory box with some of Peaches things (her chew toys, her pics, her collar, etc). Second, it was suggested that we plant something in the backyard in her memory. Third, that we get a new puppy right away. Well we've done the first two so far and I plan to get a puppy too, but not yet (I don't want to feel like I'm replacing her so I'm giving that one some time). Also this site has a Pet Cemetary where you can post a memorial for your pet. All of these things have definately helped me in my grieving. I'm not saying I feel totally better, believe me I still have a ways to go, but I've stopped spending my whole day crying. Just remember to let yourself grieve, don't be ashamed of your feelings. And remember the good times!

Mysts38
November 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
So sorry for your loss :( I know how you feel,as we lost our golden boy age 4 this sept and it is devastating.But know now your girl is safe and happy playing with the other dogs on the other side,and that she will wait for you to join her,when your time comes.