Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about shipping...???

Cerebrus
October 31st, 2004, 08:33 AM
I have been offered a dog from Australia...I'm in Quebec, Canada.
My question is, should I get a dog shipped from so far away...is it safe...???
I'm wondering if the dog would survive such a trip.
She is a 14 week old Bull Terrier.

Lucky Rescue
October 31st, 2004, 08:41 AM
I suggest you call the airlines. They do not ship live animals in either very hot or very cold weather...not sure when they stop shipping, but it's probably very soon. Could even be now.

BMDLuver
October 31st, 2004, 09:18 AM
Manoir Kanisha, based in Dorval, ships animals all the time. They will be able to help you with all details and advise you of the costs and risks to shipping this great distance. They can be contacted through their website at http://www.manoir-kanisha.com/anglais/accueilan.html . Hope this helps and good luck with the new addition if you do get it!

Cerebrus
October 31st, 2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the info...just sent them an e-mail...

Can't wait to get one of these little rascals...

goldenblaze
October 31st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Sorry but is there no dogs closer to you that you might love just as much. That would be a long flight for the pup and scary too :eek:

Cerebrus
October 31st, 2004, 01:37 PM
Have been looking for a month now and this, so far, is the only positive reply I've had...I'm not going to put her thru the whole ordeal of flying half way around the world...just a question I thought I'd throw out there as I had no idea.
I will continue to keep looking locally (Eastern Canada) and hope something comes along...but I do have my heart set on adopting a Bull Terrier...

goldenblaze
October 31st, 2004, 01:50 PM
I understand wanting a special bred of dog :) what type of Bull Terrier are you looking for? There are some Bull Terrier's on petfinder.competfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com)
have you looked there. Might be the one you are looking for and one that is waiting for a perfect home. ;)

Cerebrus
October 31st, 2004, 03:12 PM
English Bull Terrier...I check petfinder about once a week...plus others...made about 30 phone calls...have contacted breeders, shelters, rescues, et al...I'll just keep plugging away...eventually something will come up...

Thanks.

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 04:23 PM
gosh no dont do it. do you realise the quarintine conditions that animal woudl have to live in, it is terrible and so sad. when we moved to NZ the quarintine was too cruel and we left our dog with a family, and NZ is only hours away. not to mention the flight, the cage the animal has to be kept in during the flight, sedation, stress, then back into quarintine again. quarintine is just horrific, those poor animals are kept in cages for months on end, no human play, no love or cuddles, you can only see the animal after certain time and you cant take it home then either.oh quarintine is just awful here in oz. glad to hear you will look elsewhere :D good decision and a kind one

Cerebrus
October 31st, 2004, 04:36 PM
oh...this I didn't know...never even thought about 'quarantine'...am glad I asked this question before persuing this any further...has opened my eyes...

Thanks all for the info...

What a great forum for asking questions...

Shelby
October 31st, 2004, 06:05 PM
and what happens if it's a long flight? do the animals get fed? or do they have to go without food for 30 hours?

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 06:15 PM
no the animals are not fed. most are sedated for a certain peroiod of time, preferably the whole flight, and i have heard terrfiying stories of dogs killing them selves and mutilating themselves due to srtress in flights.

i once had to ship a hunting dog back to its owner, it was a 4hr flight. it was one of the most heart breaking experienceso i have ever had. i had to sedate him, put him in a sml cage, then they put him on the luggage trolly and put him it the cargo part of the plane. he was sedated and had not yet passed out, he was so scared and sad. i would never do it again i dont care who owns the dog. not to mention when an animal travels they are alone and seperated from the owner, and you dont know who is in contact with your animal, and what they may do, even a tease is horrific for dogs. oh it makes me sad to think about it, poor puppies :sad: im glad you are not shipping a puppy :thumbs up