Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Questions about Shih Tzu's

Shaykeija
October 30th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I was just wondering if anyone else's ShihTzu hates stairs? Sophie the little :evil: will stand at the top of the stairs and bark until I go get her. She sometimes will come up a few stairs but absolutley refuses to come down them. When I have to take Sophie and Missie out for a pee, Missie flies down the stairs and Sophie jumps into my arms. Porter service for the Tzu. :p
I have noticed she hates getting her feet wet, rough terrain makes her sit and not move. She likes to do her bussiness in the driveway, not on the grass. Funny little dog. When Dallas my huskey was alive, we used to roll up a newspaper like a cone, put it under her butt and catch the gify before it hit the ground. Makes me wish Sophies legs were longer. :rolleyes: Again I was just wondering if Sophie is just being a Tzu...

carey
October 30th, 2004, 08:13 PM
I have a 3-year old rescued ShihTzu who has many little "quirks", so I believe she may have been somewhat abused when younger (or from a puppy mill). She is excellent with kids, but is afraid of her own shadow. Now and then she'll be out walking and suddenly go into a "firvish" - running around and around with her tail between her legs! :crazy: She was nervous at first about stairs, but is fine now. She also used to go balistic when people came in and took off their shoes, but over time this has got better. While out walking she likes to tell the big dogs who is boss - so think she definitely has the "small dog syndrome"!

GunnerX
October 31st, 2004, 10:31 AM
We got Ariel from a breeder when she was 2 months old. Two days after she was with us, she had no problems going up and down the front steps. Most people we know were surprised she had no problems because the steps were about the same height as she was. She had to get a running start to get up them. She loves running on grass and she's definitely not afraid of water!

We live in a new area so when we got Ariel, we had no grass yet so we only walked her on the roads and sidewalks. So Ariel always does her business on the road or sidewalk now.

goldenblaze
October 31st, 2004, 12:20 PM
Jordie is fine with steps but bags blowing in the wind or anything that he thinks should not be there he barks and hides behind Mommy or Daddy even stands as close to Blaze as he can get ( that does include under Blaze :eek: ) Jordie is afraid of his own shadow to Carey, I thought it was just because I babyed him so much as a little one I did get him when he was 8 weeks old. :o

shihtzulover
November 1st, 2004, 07:00 AM
Our Shih Tzu never had problems with the stairs, she loves to climb and fly off things. She is scared of the dark though, and barks if something is not normal. I find she is quite an athlete for a Shih Tzu.

Karsalis
November 1st, 2004, 01:57 PM
Yeah I have an athletic little shih-tzu as well. A little too athletic. He loves stairs, and jumping off couches, decks, a little daredevil my little guy is. Scary sometimes cause we have to watch him like a hawk so he doesnt hurt himself.

Shaykeija
November 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
Well I quess that answers that question. Queen Sophie expects her loyal and loving servent to carry her up and down the stairs. The little :evil: . Freaks me right out though when she jumps off the couch. We just bought a new house with hard woood floors and I taped a runner down in front of the couch for her and Missie. My husband was not amused. Tough cookies for him lol. Some pets are just so funny. Sophie likes to scratch and dig before she lies down. I had piano music on last night and it looked like she was playing the piano, she was digging so fast. Cracked me right up.

shihtzulover
November 2nd, 2004, 07:13 AM
My Shih Tzu Sophie also loves to dig to China before laying down. She is a really fast digger, I don't know how her little arms don't tire out. :love: