Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Liability insurance DOESENT EXIST for pit bulls

babyrocky1
October 30th, 2004, 03:30 PM
I have spent most of the day calling around to find a company that has liability insurance. Pet plan has it but heres the kicker... "if there is a breed ban liability insurance is void". I also called Pet care they do not have liability insurance at all, Vet insurance is calling me back on monday morning. It was hard to find inssurance companies that have liability at all let alone one that will cover a BAND BREED. This makes me laugh one of the stipulations in the ban is that we have insurance BUT when a breed is baned liability coverage is VOID. kind of a catch 22 maybe Micheal Byrant should have done his homework a little better BUT then again if he did his homework he would know that this breed ban was a dumb idea from the begining!! If anyone know anymore insurance companys that do not cover pitbull liability can you please let me know. Iam trying to gather the info. Thanks

you can email me at babyrocky1@sympatico.ca

Loki
October 30th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I didn't think that we needed it. I might be wrong. I just skimmed over the law a couple times, and couldn't find it. If you know where it is stated, please let me know. My understanding was licence, spayed, muzzled and leashed. Plus guilty until proven innocent. If we do need it, it will be pretty hard to find.

babyrocky1
October 30th, 2004, 05:10 PM
I thought that I saw it somewhere while researching about the ban. I just finished reading the bill and it didn't say anything about insurance. Sorry I've been researching alot and possibley read that about a ban somewhere else, and I cant deleate my original post sorry. Thanks for the info thoe :sorry: :o

ancarett
October 30th, 2004, 06:15 PM
They were talking about requiring a million dollars in liability insurance for anyone who owned a banned breed dog. I didn't see that provision in the tabled legislation, either, but my eyes began to glaze over.

seeker
October 30th, 2004, 07:05 PM
One of my biggest fears thoughout this whole ordeal is the track record the liberals have of not doing their homework . If what I fear is true and we need insurance but cannot obtain it , it is basically a "DEATH' sentence for every pitbull {pets , showdogs , and what have you} in Ontario . Or with the stroke of a pen many of us that do not comply will in effect become latent criminals . We must not let that happen contact your MPP's again with this information not only by email I am sure they are exercising the delete option on a regular basis , do it by phone or in person , Make our voices heard .

lezzpezz
October 30th, 2004, 07:41 PM
I called my State Farm Rep (in ontario) and asked if I had coverage under my house insurance and sure enough, I have $1.3 million worth. I have 3 large dogs, albeit no pbs, and am covered. I have not checked the fine print however.

MBRA518
October 31st, 2004, 12:17 PM
I called my State Farm Rep (in ontario) and asked if I had coverage under my house insurance and sure enough, I have $1.3 million worth. I have 3 large dogs, albeit no pbs, and am covered. I have not checked the fine print however.

Most every Home and tenants package insurance has liability coverage for dogs... double check with your insurance carrier to be sure there are no acceptions though - but I've never heard of a policy that does not cover dogs.

heeler's rock!
October 31st, 2004, 03:08 PM
but I've never heard of a policy that does not cover dogs.

Unfortunately, I have. In Calgary a year or two ago, Global did a piece on a dog owner that was told he was not longer able to keep house insurance through his carrier, who I believe was Alliance but am not 100% sure, because he owned a GSD cross. The company cancelled his policy without any warning, because he slipped up when he called them and told the rep by accident that he had a GSD cross. He got the letter the following week. :(

seeker
October 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, I have. In Calgary a year or two ago, Global did a piece on a dog owner that was told he was not longer able to keep house insurance through his carrier, who I believe was Alliance but am not 100% sure, because he owned a GSD cross. The company cancelled his policy without any warning, because he slipped up when he called them and told the rep by accident that he had a GSD cross. He got the letter the following week. :(

I remember this story but it has a happy ending . Another insurance company picked him up and if I remember correctly gave a discount due to the unlikely hood of him making a claim either for the dog or robbery .

babyrocky1
October 31st, 2004, 07:34 PM
From what I understand from the insurance companys I have contacted, You can have liability insurance BUT if a bread becomes a "baned breed" the liability insurace is void. So hopefully we do not have to get it.

heeler's rock!
October 31st, 2004, 09:56 PM
I remember this story but it has a happy ending . Another insurance company picked him up and if I remember correctly gave a discount due to the unlikely hood of him making a claim either for the dog or robbery .

Oh good! I didn't know that! That makes me happy when sad stories like that have happy endings! Thanks for the update seeker! :D

Lagana77
April 28th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Now I don't know alot about the insuance for dogs, But the way it works in Detroit is Pit Bulls are not a banned Dog but a restricted dog you can own one but only if it's registered, up to date on shots and you carry insurance. My understanding would be if a certain breed is banned in a city no matter what you do the dog is illegal. So if they are saying to you the dog is banned that means under no cercumstances can you own the dog restricted is diffrent read the wording really well. I think it's horrable to tell someone they have to give up a member of their family because of the actions of others. If I remember correctly they did a study and more small breed dogs have bitten people than large breed the small breed just does less damage.

BLAME THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!!!!!!

jesse's mommy
April 28th, 2006, 05:05 PM
You do realize this thread is from October 2004 right?

Invicta
April 29th, 2006, 06:26 AM
You do not require $1,000,000 liability insurance under DOLA. I just finished reading the regulations for pit bulls for Bill 132.

Your current liability insurance would only be void if your dog did something.

As for insurance companies that are dog friendly, the archives of stoponbsl has a lot of good information from when this topic came up over there.

sweet_wolf
June 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
i have the most sweetest pit bull i have ever known and i cant seem to find a good insurance company (house insurance ) just cause of her breed :confused: If anyone has advice on where to start looking for house insurance it would be greatly appreciated
thanx sweet_wolf aka jamie-leah:pawprint:

erykah1310
June 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Stay clear of Aliance (spelling?) they wont insure you if you have a Rottie/Pit/Dobie/Shepard type dog!!!
Its discriminating!!! We have our insurance now through Wawenessa. I just left out that i have Rottie Mix dogs.

Schwinn
June 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
Ours is through RBC insurance and I believe they know about Daisy. We've been with them longer than Daisy's been around, so I'm not 100%. We also get an employee discount, so I don't know much about rates.