Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Cat

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I need some advice, I have one cat and there is a stray cat which we have been feeding, we recently made a bed for her in the back yard, its getting cold outside and I dont want to see her out there. How can I bring her into the house to live with us. We tried to introduce them and the stray cat seemed to be interested in meeting our cat, but our cat wasnt too impressed she went after the stray and chased her around the room. Is there a way that I can do this without any bloodshed. Please help, winter is approaching and I dont want to see this little one out in the cold. she is very loving and affectionate and really wants in the house, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

lilith_rizel
October 30th, 2004, 10:20 AM
How old are your cats and the stray?

You could maybe try putting the stray in a confined area, with his / her own litterbox and food. Try making this area a place where your cat(s) can see it, but can not get to it. Maybe find a way to keep him in the bathroom, with the door open and some sort of gate, the cats can't get over. Or a play pen, with a mesh top. That way, your cat(s) will be able to see and sniff the new comer, but can't chase or hurt him. Some one else may have a better idea too.

Copper'sMom
October 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Give it time. Most cats when introduced will scrap a little until they get used to each other. All of the cats we've had when I was growing up were strays and when we brought a new one in the house everytime the stray would walk by another cat there was a hiss and a swat. After a few weeks or so they'll get used to each other.

Unless they are hunting each other down, I wouldn't worry. Bring the cat in and let it roam. It will probably want to find a hiding spot and hang out there for a while or your cat will go in hiding.

As long as your cat isn't really stubborn and likes to hold grudges you should be fine. If it starts peeing elsewhere besides in the litter then you've got bigger problems! (Some cats will do this, but not all of them)

If they are constantly scrapping, then definitely do what lilith_rizel suggested.

I'm just speaking from my experiences with strays and pets and we haven't had any problems. Hopefully you won't have problems either!!

Good luck and keep us posted on how they are doing!! :)

By the way......stray cats make excellent pets. They act like they owe you for the rest of their life for taking them in. They like to cuddle too :p

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Our cat is 3 yrs old and she is fixed but not declawed, the stray is pretty young under a yr for sure, my cat is female and the stray is male.The stray seems to want to meet our cat, also should I get the stray its own litter box or should I let them share one? Should I let them share food dishes?

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 11:28 AM
You have to assume that a stray is unvaccinated and has been exposed to all kinds of things. You should take her in to the vet for testing and start her vaccinations. Keep her separated in a different room until it's safe for your cat to be around her. They will start to get acquainted with each other through the door. That will make things easier when they are put together.

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sorry, just realized she is a he. You'll also want to have him neutered right away. Actually, right now you have an indoor cat and an outdoor cat, not a stray and your own cat. If you have been feeding him and provided him with a bed, he's all yours! :D

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I will definatly be taking her to the vet for a checkup. I dont know if she has any fleas , i havent seen any on her but that doesnt mean she doesnt have any. My cat is very healthy, no fleas, I dont want to bring any fleas into the house, thats for sure, another question, my cat is an indoor cat and I would like to keep the stray that way, Im sure she wont like it too much tho but will she adjust to it?

Copper'sMom
October 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Good points by glasslass! Two litter boxes might be good just to be on the safe side. When you've had the male checked by a vet, then let the cats eat out of the same dish. They'll each get used to each other's smell on the food dish and this will help getting them acquainted with each other as well.

Lucky Rescue
October 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM
stray cats make excellent pets. They act like they owe you for the rest of their life for taking them in.
I have found this to be SO true!!:)

You can do this! I have introduced cats of all ages and both sexes, and none ever failed to live in harmony.

Take the stray to the vet first. Get him neutered, dewormed and checked.

Then put him in a room by himself with all his stuff - litterbox, food, bed etc. If he is adult, his pee will continue to smell VERY bad for awhile. Your own cat is probably upset because this cat is an intact male.

Let your cat sniff under the door of the room, and periodically exchange items that each has slept on. Feed them both on either side of the closed door, so only the width of the door separates them.

Give it about a week until you open the door and let the cat come out on his own.

You can also get many helpful hints from this article:
Introducing cats (http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/11/26/)

A young male and adult female are usually a good combination and I doubt very much there will be any bloodshed.

Just keep an eye out when the male first comes out, but dont' hover nervously over them. Hissing, growling and posturing is normal. If there is too much, then put the cat back in the room and try again another day.

This WILL work out. Thank you for taking this poor guy in!!!:)

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the great advice, I have brought her in the house a few times today, let her have a look around i carried her, she loves to be picked up, she very cuddly and affectionate, we have definatly bonded, as for pepper well thats gonna take some time. I was out with the stray earlier and she marked me with her spit on my hands so I went and let pepper smell my hands and she did that thing with her mouth open for a few minutes. I can see this is gonna take some time, pepper seems to be very jealous of my new found friend, she is mommys only baby. :love: Im am definatly going to take the great advice you all gave. I will take some pics of the stray tommorrow so you can see how pretty she is, Im still trying to find a good name for her. :)

lilith_rizel
October 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM
We had a 15 year old stray LITERALLY adopt us. My dad said then he saw the cat when we first moved out to the counrty, 15 years back. He started going to different houses for a week at a time, and thhen woukd leave, and go to a different one. He did this for about a year and a half. Eventually hae decided that he liked us best, and we have had him for about 6 years now. During the warm months, he spends his days outside hunting, and comes inside only to eat or use the litter box. But during the winter, he has no interest in the outdoord.

I had told my hubby this story, and he said that Sir William (the cat), had to be the smartest cat he has ever seen. He must have checked over 5 or 6 homes to choose the one he liked best.

coonlover
October 31st, 2004, 11:29 AM
I was just outside with my stray and noticed he has a few small white worms hanging off her bottom, i dont know what kind of worms they are, and I'm not taking her to the vet quite yet so is there anything I can pick up to get rid of these worms at the pet supply store? I'll be taking her to the vet next week after payday but in the meantime Iwould like to treat this if possible.

Lucky Rescue
October 31st, 2004, 11:32 AM
These are tapeworm segments. Do NOT get anything at the petstore for these - most of those products do not work well, and you'll just have to get more pills from the vet anyway.

Tapeworms are not particularly harmful unless the animal is a tiny baby or very ill.

This can wait for the vet visit.:) Take a stool sample with you to be analyzed for any other parasites.

coonlover
November 1st, 2004, 11:18 PM
Can my cat catch these worms if I bring my stray into the house? The cat has been in the house now for a couple hours, my cat has been locked in the bedroom and the stray has been walking around purring soooooooo loud she follows me wherever I go she/ he is now sleeping on the stair all stretched out. I really dont want to put her?him back outside in the cold :sad: I need help! If i leave her in the house tonight i will have to lock her in the basement so she /he can be near the litter box, I was gonna keep her in my room and put a spare litter box in there but the hubby said no way, also i have come to find out the cat has been declawed,so I asked a few of my neighbours if they know where this cat may live, thinking maybe shes lost and on little girl told me where the cat lived and that the owners kept her/him outside tied to a clothesline it never went in the house, so I asked the girl to show me the house and we went there and i knocked on the door but no one was there I checked in the back and sure enough there was the clothsline. and the house is vacant, People can be so mean to move and leave their can behind totally unaware of what just hapened to them :mad: :sad: I need some mor advice... sorry to be such a pest.

coonlover
November 2nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
More about my stray, this poor little soul , I brought her in the house a bit ago when my hubby noticed the cat has a bone exposed on its back right foot, well I lost it started balling my eyes out, I cant wait till next week to take it to the vet so I called my vet (crying) explained my situation and asked it they could see the cat today and I would give them a postdated check for next week, Im waiting for the vet to call me back with the ok, Im keeping my fingers crossed, I cant leave this baby outside another day, my cat is gonna be mad at me for sure but she is gonna have to get over it, because my heart is breaking for this baby. Any advice on what to do if my vet says no... Please Help :sad:

Lucky Rescue
November 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM
If your vet has known you for awhile, I'm sure they will take a post-dated cheque! Please let us know what happens.

Yes, your cat can catch the tapeworms, so keep this new cat and litterbox confined and away from your other cat.

I advise you to keep the new cat locked up and let the resident cat have free run of the house for now.

I'm glad to hear you aren't putting this declawed cat outside in the cold.

coonlover
November 6th, 2004, 06:44 PM
Update on my stray, she went to the vet and is fairly healthy, has some worms but that is being taken care of.As for the bone in her foot, its not broken just a bit exposed, she is all bandaged up and has been in the house all week no infection :) . She is a bit underweight but im fixing that i have her on wellness the same stuff pepper eats and they both love it, i also give her a can of wet food a day, she's very happy here purring all the time and follows me everywhere she's my little shadow, only problem is her and pepper dont seem to like each other too much, I have been keeping them seperate but both being female what are the chances that they will get along?

squarejane
November 6th, 2004, 07:12 PM
this poor little kitty is very lucky to have found you! and i'm sure you will be very blessed with kitty love in return. pepper will warm in a bit but it's normal for pepper first to be a bit pi$$ed that the new cat is there and to also feel the need to establish a pecking order. it may take days or even a month but they'll get it sorted out... and soon enough you'll catch them grooming each other or sleeping together.

good luck doll and keep us posted!

Lucky Rescue
November 6th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Good news!:)

The chances that they will get along are excellent. Just don't expect them to be best friends and just aim at them tolerating each other - this way, anything else is a bonus.

It can take a long time for two adult cats to learn to coexist in peace - don't give up and just be patient!

coonlover
November 6th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I am taking things very slow when it comes to these two meeting, the stray( still havent found a good name for her) stays in my bedroom with her food and water but i let her in the basement to use her litterbox when pepper is in another room.When pepper goes to bed for the night in my stepdaughters room I let the stray out to wander free, but she seem to like my room the best, she likes my feather pillows to sleep on she is soooooooooo loving and loves to be picked up and carried around. Because she is so thin should I be giving her any kind of supplement? I thought of kitty milk made by whiskas it has vitamins and minerals and something called Taurine in it. Any suggestions on names would be greatly appreciated... and thanks to all for the advice it really has helped alot. :thumbs up

chico2
November 7th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Coonlover,thank's for making my day,what a great story :thumbs up what a "Lucky" little cat... :D
I am sure both cats will eventually get along peacefully..your Pepper might never love the new addition,but she will accept her.
My Chico has hated Vinnie since day one,but there is never any fights,Chico just hisses and makes sure Vinnie keeps his distance :D
With Rocky it only took a couple of days before they were best buds...
Lucky gave you great advice,sooner or later Pepper will realize she might as well give in,the stray sweet-heart is there to stay and she might as well become friendly.
Also,thank's for caring and being a wonderful person :love:

coonlover
November 7th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Thank you Chico for the subtle hint on the name :D . Im so glad this site is here to help and it has made it much easier and thanks to all for the support. When I talked to some of my friends they said just drop her off at the spca. I guess not everyone are animal lovers like we are. Welcome Lucky to your new forever home :love:

squarejane
November 8th, 2004, 03:28 AM
:love: :thumbs up :love:

Iggette
November 8th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Oh what a great name and a very "LUCKY" kitty indeed.

My daughter had a kitten given to her 5 years ago while she was at work my friends son found her at the side of hiway 12 just 10 feet from the hiway :eek: all skinny dirty and scared and sick, she begged me to let her keep it just until she nursed it to health, and she knew a family that would take it once she had done so.....................you guess it........5 years later she is still with us....and "LUCKY" is big fat and very healthy :thumbs up

These cats of yours will be able to live together its just a matter of time ....how much time depends on how stubborn pepper is :p

coonlover
November 8th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Well so far Pepper is very stubborn, lastnight we decided to let them both have the run of the house ,Pepper went after Lucky right away and she is alot bigger than Lucky and she has claws where as Lucky has none so we both had a towel ready just in case this happened and sure enough we had to toss a towel over pepper to stop her, Lucky was sooooo scared she was shaking like a leaf, but we had to try it I cant leave her locked up in my room forever although she does like it in there she has the whole bed to herself and I leave the tv on for her, she was sitting the other morning on the bed watching the Ellen show, it was cute. So Im not sure if I should keep locking her up or let them have it out, I dont want anyone getting hurt, I guess I will have to take baby steps with them.

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 11:29 AM
When you say
sure enough we had to toss a towel over pepper to stop her,

Stop her from doing what? Was she actually on the kitten, attacking him, scratching/biting him? Or running after him?

Some hissing, growling, chasing or swatting is normal. If no one is being hurt, then each time you interfere the introductions will take longer. There are some cats who will injure another cat or kitten in the home, but this is unusual unless the cats are two intact males.

You have an adult female and young male and that is usually one of the easier combinations. (but there are always exceptions!:p )

Try again, and just be close with a squirt bottle to break it up if they get into a little tussle.

Here is an article with many great tips on successfully introducing cats.
Introducing cats (http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/11/26/)

coonlover
November 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Pepper had Lucky cornered and I had read that keeping a towel or blanket handy in case I had to break up a fight and they are both females so I dont know if that makes it harder for them to get along. I just didnt want Lucky to get hurt.

coonlover
November 8th, 2004, 12:04 PM
So should I let them duke it out?

Lucky Rescue
November 8th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Sorry! Don't know why I thought the kitten was a male. :confused:

It may be a little harder with two females. I find them to be more territorial than males, although their territories are very much smaller. No, don't let them "duke it out" as the kitten will lose.

As long as there are no actual attacks, don't do anything. I know it's very hard not to. Only in the event of an attack should you use the blanket or squirt bottle.

You might want to try REscue Remedy on both of them and follow the instructions in the link I gave you.

glasslass
November 8th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned already, but really important to reassure Peppy that Lucky isn't replacing her in your affections. Be sure to give her plenty of attention and loving, even extra. Pepper's the adult cat and since Lucky has been declawed, will probably be the dominant one.

coonlover
November 9th, 2004, 10:52 AM
She is definatly being the dominent one, and she is getting lots of loving , we dont want her to feel she is being replaced by another cat , she got new toys and lots of cuddles just to reasure her.

coonlover
November 18th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Well its been 2 weeks since we took in our stray who by the way is now named Yoshi by the kids, anyway her and Pepper still are not getting along they havent actually had a fight they just scream bloody murder when they see each other. We tried doing blanket thing under the door with some catnip but that didnt work, but at least yoshi is getting healthier and starting to put on some weight. She is still bit nervous when she walks around the house in fear of Pepper who is much bigger than her. Whenver I pet Yoshi on her back she growls at me she bit my boyfriend once when he touched her, I checked her back with him holding her to see if she has any sores she has a small scab on her back near her tail , maybe from biting herself?? I treated her for fleas as well as Pepper even though pepper didnt have any just to be safe, so I dont know if these two will ever get along I hope to walk into a room one day and see the two of them all snuggled up together ( wishfull thinking). Oh ya a question, when I give Yoshi catnip she eats it like crazy she doesnt roll in in like pepper just pigs out on it, I dont give her much though cause im not sure about her eating it, is this ok?

chico2
November 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Coonlover,my three cats ALL eat the cat-nip,so far no ill effect.They eat it right out of their"garden"fresh,but also the dry stuff I keep for the winter.
They also roll in it and act up a bit after :crazy:
I've never used store-bought stuff,since it grows wild here,but I assume it too is ok.
Your cats may never cuddle together,but they will eventually tolearate each other,I am sure.
My Chico just hates Vinnie,but no fights or serious things happening...and I've had Vinnie now for two years,Rocky just accepts anyone,he's just a big old love-bug!!