Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I Wrote The Editor, He Listened

goldenblaze
October 29th, 2004, 11:31 PM
A friend of mine sent this letter to me and as me to take it to my MPP in my town, I wrote the editor of the Brockville Recorder & Times and they called and told me it was going in yesterdayThursday. I felt like fainting onthe spot. :o
Anyway here it is pass it along to your MPP. :)

Dear Senate Members

I am thrilled that Bill C-10, the animal cruelty amendments to the Criminal Code, is back before the Senate.

I'm sure you agree that animals should be protected from cruelty, abuse and neglect. I'm sure you have heard enough about cases of horrendous animal abuse where the perpetrators receive no more than a slap on the wrist for the suffering they have caused. Some of these abusers move on to commit violent crimes against humans. To me it is obvious that animal crimes should be taken more seriously by our judicial system.

There is no doubt that the current Criminal Code provisions regarding animal crimes need to be updated. What we have now does not reflect society's view of animals, nor does it act as a deterrent to further animal cruelty.

I am writing today to urge you to fully support Bill C-10 as it currently reads. One important aspect of the amendments is to move animal crimes out of the property section of the Criminal Code. Animals should be protected because they can suffer, not just because they are someone's property.

I have heard the arguments from various farming, hunting and fishing groups that this bill will threaten their livelihoods. It is my understanding that Bill C-10 will not place them at any greater risk of prosecution for their activities than they are now. I do not think those who use animals should be exempt from the Criminal Code; people who use animals have a duty to care for their animals humanely and with respect.

I sincerely hope you will lend your support to see these important amendments through as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,
My Name :o

I would say I took it to my MPP... :thumbs up