Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First time!

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 10:40 PM
The doorbell rang today, and it was an African-American lady to come and get our cable box. For some reason Cano growled at the lady, and she didn't even step into the house. He has never even barked at anyone before. Could he have sensed that she might have been a threat, or could it be that we are having a baby soon, and he is trying to protect her? He also barked at another lady, at the door, yesterday. Both times, were the first time he has ever done this.

Lucky Rescue
October 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM
How old is your dog? If he is maturing, then this type of alarm barking when strangers come to the door is pretty normal.

Some dogs who have not seen dark-skinned people will bark, because these people don't look the way a dog expects people to look. They may also bark at people wearing masks, or acting strangely.

Did he calm down when he saw you interacting in a friendly way with these visitors?

Copper'sMom
October 30th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I looked at your profile and see your dog was born Feb of this year. I agree with LuckyRescue that this is normal behaviour(he's maturing). Your little boy is becoming a man!!!! If you don't want him to act this way tell him "no" when he barks at strangers and let him know that is bad behaviour. Make him do a sit-stay routine when answering the door. When he barks say "no" If he gets up make him sit-stay again. When he does good, praise him!!

Hope this helps!!

lilith_rizel
October 30th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Cano will be 9 months on the 2nd. He has been around people of different races. Our friend is porto-rican, and had darker skin. He did calm down after he saw me talking to her, but he refused to back away from the door. I think that I will have to take him for even more walks arounf the neighborhood. Our community if filled with people of all races, so he should be able to get used to seeing them after awhile. Would this help?

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 09:55 AM
My little girl is doing the same thing. If she sees someone who she doesn't normally see at the door, or in the house, she barks a very deep bark. Heck, yesterday I was wearing a ball cap, sweat pants (not a pair I wear often) and my jacket in the house when Diamond came around the corner. Did she ever bark!!! Only when I spoke did she know it was ok and calm down.

Your little guy is protecting the house, his pack's den. It's very normal. As long as he doesn't try to attack, but just barks, I think it's a very desireable thing.

sammiec
November 1st, 2004, 03:03 PM
I agree with the others. Briggs was very uncomfortable around a lady with a cane a while ago. She backed up and acted very strange, no growling though..but she's seen the same lady since and her attitude has changed...

melanie
November 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
gee cano sounds great to me a controlled boy, if you come near my front door and you do not live here you will get a barking at, my little door bell dog. she barks at ppl she has known all her life, well that is when the car pulls up, but until they speak they will get a bark. she is just tellin her human mummy that someone is here, its not like she is going crazy but yes she barks at one and all, touch her door and you get barked at plain and simple, but it is her way of saying, 'yahooooo, we have a visitor but i best bark cause my mum needs to know so she can get them in the house for a pat'. and for 8yrs it has been the same. :D :D

i do have bad hearing so it is quite useful, my mum is deaf and has one hearing aid that sort of helps, her man max has been wonderful in letting mum know ppl are there, she used to find the delivery ppl would wander around the back of the house as the door was not getting answered but they could hear her, and it used to scare her to death, not only getting the fright when you turn and a stranger is in the yard, but also my father and i didnt like men being around without her knowing or anyone really, so max is like a hearing dog, he tells her if anyone sets foot on the property, and it really makes mum feel better about being at home alone, and shes not alone, she has max now ands she answers the door, which really helps everyone, esp the poor delivery guy who spends alot of time ringing that bell :thumbs up

but cano might have been protecting his mummy, he knows that babe is ocmin and he can smell everything is differtent, perhaps it has made him that little more protective or edgy when ppl around his mummy, oh goood boy mister :angel: