Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

why no metric system USA

melanie
October 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM
watching simpsons yesterday with the stonecutters episode, during the show in one sceen the stone cutters are singing a song and the line is 'who keeps the metric system down, we do, we do' :D

which got me to thinkin, why dont america have the metric system? so many countries around them use it so wouldnt it make sense for them to use it to to have a form of localised measuring standards in thatpart of the world. i have recently heard that the metric system is being used in the UK and becoming enforced in areas such as food purchasing, ie instead of pounds they are forcing the use of kilo.. so it really interests me to find out why they dotn have the metric system??

any ideas

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Believe it or not, the US actually adopted the metric system some time ago (I forget what year but think the 1800s) but progress being what it is, it just never happened. Of late, I wondered if it was because the system was founded by the French (Kidding!). Seriously, there are three countries who continue to use the English System - the US, Liberia and Burma (I think it's Burma) - but scientists the world over have been trying to get the US to use the system more.

Scientists of course use it but simple info like weather and grocery measurements are in the English System (which of course comes from the US once being a colony of England). That system was very much in vogue when the British Empire was in its ascdenacy(sp?) but once the world changed, people realize how much easier and better the metric system is.

It is really just a block against progress I think - and tradition. People hate to change. Look at Canada. We adopted the metric system in 1975 and some people still refer to the old system.

I think of an example when I was visting my snowbird parents in Florida not long ago. I would tell my dad it was 2C here, not bad for December and he'd ask what is that in F (even though he himself is a scientist, lol) and then when in Fla, I;d tell my brother - born in 1970 - it was 90 in Fla and he'd ask "what's that in C?"

Not sure that answers your question but I do think in time the US will move more fully to the metric system.

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 08:52 PM
It is because us in the US are stubbourn, :D from what James said.

Mel, to tell you the truth, I have no idea why we don't use the metric system, here in the States. I kinda wish that we did, because trying to figure out pounds from kg's and stuff is really starting to make me go insane. It would just make more sense. Everyone else in the world goes by metric.

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 08:56 PM
I have never had to use metric yet, not even in school. And I just graduated highschool in spring of 2003! So I don't think that it will change anytime soon, Americans are too stubbourn for change. :D (Sorry to all the Americans on the board, but remember, I am American too :D )

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 10:47 PM
lillith, you must have used it in high school science and math?

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 06:21 AM
All a bunch of rednecks, refusing to change!

I use a metric scale though when mixing glaze for ceramics class.

LavenderRott
October 30th, 2004, 06:55 AM
I have the hardest time trying to figure out how many tablespoons are in a cup! And now you want me to try to convert those tablespoons and the cup into some kind of metric mumble jumble?!? You guys are going to give me a brain cramp!

CyberKitten
October 30th, 2004, 02:42 PM
On but metric is so much simpler! :D

I am quite used to it science and even the weather but I still find myself saying such and such a place is only 50 miles away, lol And well to be honest, I use metric recipes on occasions but still preder to measure by cups and teaspoons and the like. I think it may be that there are many American recipes we come in contact with. (My excuse de jour, lol)

As for the weather, an east way to convert - if you must - is to remember that 50F is 10C and 40F is 5 C. 67F is 20C.

melanie
October 30th, 2004, 06:50 PM
thanks for that guys, fascinating. we have had the metric system since the 70's also, i never learnt anything else in school. you should have seen my first cartography class in uni, the poor lecturer had to do two whole classes on feet, inchs and hectares, we just couldnt grasp it, it seemed so foreign, even now, i have no idea, all i know is 2.2pound to a kilo and that is because of oprah doing weight loss stuff :D :D and most ppl here talk meters and cm, only really old blokes use the old system, but they also give it in meters too, if i need to know conversion i only ask someone over the age of 40 :D :D as anyone under has no idea.thanks again guys :thumbs up

onecatandonedog
October 30th, 2004, 07:29 PM
there is something called "le metre" in france and it is the exactly 1 metre, it is kep in a temperature controlled vault. i like the metric system, it is easy to learn. i have no idea about inches, ounces or pounds and i don't care.

Karin
October 30th, 2004, 08:55 PM
All a bunch of rednecks, refusing to change!

I use a metric scale though when mixing glaze for ceramics class.

This term offends me...has been used before. I am not a redneck, never have been! Not all Americans are redneck!

Karin
October 30th, 2004, 09:12 PM
..Do you even know the meaning of the name "redneck"? Do you realize this is inflammitory? Most American's will take this comment as being called "trailer trash".

Now, with that being said, is that how we are viewed?

I did get this feeling here, on this board once before.

*Pondering my decision once again*

heeler's rock!
October 30th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Don't know if you knew this Karin, but glasslass is from California....

lilith_rizel
October 31st, 2004, 08:53 AM
And I grew up in a town that had only 3000 people living in it, the closest movie theater was 40 miles away, and the best store we had was wal-mart. 90% of the people in my town were on meth, or some other drug, drug dogs came into the school EVERY week, and kids were ableto do whatever they wanted. And everybody worked, live on or near a farm. I lived in a redneck town so to speak. And I thought Glasslass' comment was funny. If anyone should have felt offended, it should have been me. :D

Our school was too poor to have an excelent cirriculum. They tried passing refferendums, but the town didn't care enough for our education apartently. We may have used it in science or math, but not often enough, to where I remember using it. I guess having a crappy school is from all the parents that were on drugs and crap, not giving a hoot.

glasslass
October 31st, 2004, 12:33 PM
:sorry: Sorry Karin, my comment was not meant to offend anyone. I am a native born Central Valley Californian. Many rednecks in my family also. I think we all need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

Karin
October 31st, 2004, 07:28 PM
:sorry: Sorry Karin, my comment was not meant to offend anyone. I am a native born Central Valley Californian. Many rednecks in my family also. I think we all need to be able to laugh at ourselves.

Apology accepted...

Where I come from we have "rednecks" and "good ole boy's" ...not to be confused unless in jest. Calling someone a "redneck"is the same as saying they are "trailer trash".

Good ole boy's have hunting dogs they love & take care of. Rednecks have a few hounds laying around in the dirt, they would beat their wife before they would let anyone touch a tick on that dogs head.
Good ole boy's work, and work hard. Rednecks are only employed if they can be paid "under the table", because they are already accepting unemployment.

CyberKitten
October 31st, 2004, 08:40 PM
I do some work with a great fellow from Oklahoma and he proudly calls himself a Redneck. What is so bad about that? (I know the stereotype but gheez!!). I'd best say not say any more, lol

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 09:23 PM
please, lets go back to the metric system, and cant we just leave it, each to their own and lets not worry about it anymore.

lilith_rizel
November 1st, 2004, 12:18 PM
Mel,
I seriously don't think that Americans will fully adopt the metric system anytime soon. But I wish they would. It would be so much easier, being that the rest of the world uses it. I think that if they just started using the metric system in early grade school, within the next 25 years, there would be no problem what so ever switching completely to the metric system, and it would be easy for everyone as well.

heidiho
November 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Thank god we dont use it,i dont get it......One AMERICAN............

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
I know it's not a scientific study, but here is a link (http://members.cox.net/mathmistakes/metrics.htm) to an article regarding the US and the metric system.

melanie
November 1st, 2004, 02:58 PM
that article is great and really funny. isnt that just amazing, you have had the system so much longer than australia and yet we only use metric not imperial, funny that. even my car speedo is only in kilometers, no miles there. but agreed with the beer point, we get bigger glasses casue we use metric, yay. i actually remember bits of the advertisment campaign for metric, they owuld give examples on tv of conversions, even postage stamps had conversions on them. and i totally agree with the kilo and pound issue, it is so much nicer saying im 57kilograms than saying im 125 pound, that just freaks me out and makes me feel so uncomfortable and alot heavier. so american ladies will feel better when they weigh 60kg than 135 pound, its nice and makes you feel better and slim.

and i do admit the conversion at first is rather daunting, when i bake i have no idea what a Fl OZ is and have a hell of a time trying to find an older recepie book that will have a conversion chart in it as modern recepie books dont have conversion charts, and only mls, ltrs and kgs.

i am always ringing my mum and saying, exactly how long is 7 feet, and what the hell does the money symbols of 5/ mean. those money things kill me, we got rid of that system in the 60's here too, so i have no idea what a penny, shilling or a pound is iether, my dad is always saying oh that is near 5 cents, well bugger me dad, that still means absolutly nothing, it s funny how we evolve as ppl, and to watch it in ones lifetime is absolutly fascinating.

but from tv i gather USA has cents and dollars, Uk is the difficult one with its pounds and stuff :D :p

thank you again for that lovely article :thumbs up

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 03:35 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed that! :p

Here's a link (http://www.onlineconversion.com/) that I like to use if I need to make a conversion. Excellent site!!

Stewart
November 4th, 2004, 06:34 AM
i have recently heard that the metric system is being used in the UK and becoming enforced in areas such as food purchasing, ie instead of pounds they are forcing the use of kilo.. so it really interests me to find out why they dotn have the metric system??

any ideas

Melanie as a resident of the UK I can tell you yes they are encourageing the further use of the metric over here,I was up untill the age of 8 taught in imperial but from 8 onwards was introduced to the metric measures.I really dont find either difficult to use and can work with either,There is quite a bit of opposition here in the UK to being part of the great European state they want build and I for one really dont want to be part of part of it :mad: But as for metric our monatary system is based on it also and its very simlpe to ie:- 100 pence = 1 ;)

raingirl
November 4th, 2004, 07:52 AM
I've been following this thread, but not posting.

Can I admit something?

I have no idea what the metric system is!!

I know by heart all measurements and weights. I can convert any of them in a second. However, I couldn't tell you which are metric and which aren't!!

give me inches, pounds, kilometers, miles, milliletres, ounzes...I know them all.

melanie
November 4th, 2004, 02:39 PM
raingirl, that made me laugh, at least you know what a mile is :love:

metric is meters, cm, mm, kn, ltrs, mls. imperial is inchs, pound, miles, feet, and gosh knows what else.

stewart i heard on the news some butchers and fruit shop owners were fined for refusing to use metric, i though that was a littl over the top. thanks for that money thing, sound like i have missed the piont, so its like cents really 100 equals your pound or dollar, nowthank you for such a simple explanation, i dont feel so dumb now. :D :D

Jackie467
November 4th, 2004, 04:55 PM
I agree that the U.S. should use the metric system, the problem is with people like me who have no clue about it. I was taught it in school but still don't understand it because i never take the time to do the conversion in my head everytime i want something in metric, i have much more pressing things to worry about and since i can't just rattle it off because i don't have it memorized (and face it i never will) it takes me a little to do it. I have no idea about C. or how to do speed in metric, though my car does have both on the sped. what makes it worst is in science they use kalvin so i really don't understand the whole wheather thing. :sorry: I just don't think i'll ever get it.

Stewart
November 5th, 2004, 03:22 AM
stewart i heard on the news some butchers and fruit shop owners were fined for refusing to use metric, i though that was a littl over the top. thanks for that money thing, sound like i have missed the piont, so its like cents really 100 equals your pound or dollar, nowthank you for such a simple explanation, i dont feel so dumb now. :D :D

Hey mel the fact that those shopkeepers are fighting against this is not just because they have to use metric wieghts and measures its because they dont want to be told by bureaucrats in europe what to do :mad: As I mentioned there is very strong opposition over here to being controlled from europe we are british and want to remain that way thank you very much ! :p Even the channel tunnel tunnel was a big mistake and its never to late to close the bloody thing god help us if terrorists get in we already have assylum seekers useing the damn thing :mad: Just venting lol ! ;)

glasslass
November 6th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Metric or not, those shopkeepers probably know how much a thumb's weight adds! :D

glasslass
November 6th, 2004, 12:44 PM
We also have an old measurement here. How many of you recognize a "Baker's Dozen"?

melanie
November 6th, 2004, 02:17 PM
we still have the saying, but a dozen is a dozen and bakers dont sell a bakers dozen here which stinks, 13 for the price of 12, now in this day and age that is a good bargain. :D

Stewart
November 7th, 2004, 03:34 AM
We also have an old measurement here. How many of you recognize a "Baker's Dozen"?

Yep ;) Bakers dozen 13 and once a friend of mines grandfather told me at the tender age of 10,Listen boy you have to know how many beans make five ! :confused: He then said A bean a bean a bean and half .... Half a bean and a bean ;) I've never forgotten that old mans advice lol ;)