Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Shedding

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Cano, our yellow lab sheds alot. He has always been like this. The brush we do have, seems to work a little, but it takes forever to brush him, and he is still full of loose fur. And when he shakes, you can see the fur fly a bit.
I would like to know if there is a certain type of dog brush that I should be using on him. Or anything we could add to his diet that would help.

Lucky Rescue
October 29th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I found with my last dog that a "shedding comb" worked quite well! Rubber hound brushes also are very good for getting the loose hair out.

goldenblaze
October 29th, 2004, 12:54 PM
When I had my Lab he did shed alot but I did find putting oil
( fish oil ) is good and does help some. I find short haired dogs shed worse than long.. too funny. Blaze doesn't shed bad at all and he has very long hair, Jordie doesn't shed as he is groomed. :)

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 01:10 PM
I brush Cano every other day, it drives us crazy, because James' uniforms are dark camo, so the fur really shows up! Yet James insists playing with Cano the instant he comes home, before changing. :rolleyes: Men! Which reminds me, I have got a picture of them yesterday. I will have to post that sometime.
Has anyone tried the bush mitts? We used to have one for the Great Dane, Sampson, my mom had a few years back. It worked on him, do you think that it would work on a lab? Sampson had really short fur,

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Where would I find fish oil?

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 01:25 PM
I know this is an unorthodox solution but the chocolate lab I've looked after on occasion loves the vacuum cleaner. Soooo... I just vaccum away. He loses his hair like crazy though so I just assume that is part of life with a lab! He does go to the groomers regularly and still loses his hair. I brush and vacuum and brush and vacuum.... you get the picture.

Some animals do not care for the vaccum though. I do not know about your dog.

goldenblaze
October 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Where would I find fish oil?

I buy it at Wal-Mart
180 pills for something like 8.97, not alot and I give Blaze two daily and Jordie one daily. It is in the pharmacy so just ask if you can't find it ... I did :thumbs up

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
I do that too. He loves it. As soon as I start vaccuming the house, he won't stop pestering me until I vaccuum him. But it still doesn't get the fur out. Our vacuum is old and crappy.

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks Goldenblaze, James and I will be going there this evening, if he has gotten paid already. We have to get stuff for Halloween. So I will get some while we are there.

lilith_rizel
October 31st, 2004, 10:26 AM
The shedding comb really DOES work. It is amazing!! Just bought one yesterday!!

glasslass
October 31st, 2004, 12:43 PM
When Puss-Puss is shedding, I find that the flea comb works great for removing loose hair. She loves it and I can also be assured that she doesn't have fleas. It's too fine to go through Den-Den's fur though. I have tried it on some short hair dogs and it works well. Being hyperthyroid, we have to take Puss to the vet frequently for blood tests. I always take along the comb and use it while in the waiting room. For some reason, the stress of going to the vets makes her really shed and the combing seems to calm her.
Another little hint - Den-Den's slicker brush (fine slant-toothed wire brush) works wonderfully well to remove hair from furniture and clothing.

melanie
October 31st, 2004, 03:06 PM
i use a horse brush on my excessivly shedding GSD. it is a black rubber oval shape, it has a band that holds it to the hand, and it has rubber teeth all along it, it works like a charm, i have not in 8yrs found anything better and have tried alot of brushes. last week i tried my mums on her, it has steel teeth, well she just jumped a mile, it must have hurt her :eek: . but the rubber horse mit (available at any horse store, they are common, just describe it to the sale person, they will know) and they are cheap, mine was $10 australian and it has lasted yrs and works so well i lvoe it, and if i ever get a horse i will have a brush for it (hubby says no horses, baaaahumbug to him i say, i odnt wnat to ride one, just one to cuddle, hubby says that is no good reason to get a horse baaaaahhh) so i wont be getting a horse in a hurry, unless i say it jsut showed up at the door, hhhmmmmm now thats an idea......... :D :crazy: