- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 



October 29th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Wondered if anyone would know how i could get advice about my leasewe are very unhappy with the house in general. I have read the lease terms and im not sure that there is anyway out of the years lease we have signed too.

how could i find out about it?

October 29th, 2004, 12:30 PM
If your landlord is an understanding person, you might be able to talk to him about it and you could work something out together (example: 4 months notice to move out).

Look on the internet for something like Landlord and Tenant Act. It'll give you all sorts of info and might be able to help you out.

Good Luck :)

October 29th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Hi Jackie. Don't know if this'll help:

October 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
yes it did looks like i could re lease it we rent through a agency although i have contacted the owner directly to see what they think !!

thanks ;)

November 2nd, 2004, 10:22 AM
Under the law, you can legally break a lease with 60 days notice for a "good reason". The reasons include moving closer to job, can't afford $$, moving closer to family, childcare etc,.. I've always been able to come up with a reason when I really needed to move.
Good luck

November 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
What are you unhappy about? Is the place unkept? Dirty, bugs? Or you just don't want to live there anymore? There are options to sublet your place if you're unable to get out of your lease, the trouble with that is you're held accountable for whatever the subrenter does to the place.

November 2nd, 2004, 10:37 AM
I dont like the fact it is very noisy and its badly laid out for the kids quite dangerous the upstairs is a converted loft were we sleep this is freezing already and its mild here. You can barely stand up due the bad conversion.
The stairs are quite dangerous and the garden is for the kids. Its clean the company we rent of told me we could sublet it but we would be responsible for it not sure about that they have a washing machine fridge stove and dishwasher here which if was damaged would cost a bit to replace

Is that true sheriff mum i can just give 60 days notice i have read up on it and cant find that? we also live along way from hubbys work and he lives at 430 am and cause of the way the bungalow is the boys have the room near the front door so they wake up at 4 am every morning

thanks for your help

November 2nd, 2004, 11:02 AM
Hi Jackie.

I know you are in Ontario. In ontario, all you have to do is provide at least 60 days written notice to the landlord that you wish to break the lease. It is written in the Tenant Protection Act of Ontario. I guess right now that if you give your notice Dec. 1, 2004 you could move out as of Feb. 1, 2005.

It's a renters market right now and you can get GREAT deals at this time of year, because less people move in the winter. I have a huge 2 bedroom apartment right on the GO train line for about $900.00.

I'm a little bit of an expert on rentals, since I've had a lot of problems before. I know you are new here. I don't know where you want to move to or what price range you are good for, but I could make some suggestions if you PM me.

I live in Peel Region and it's cheaper than people think, and it's so easy to get to the city.

November 2nd, 2004, 12:31 PM
yes it state 60 days notice but this is to terminate your lease after the 12month period it says to consult a legal adviser if its before. I have today emailed the owner of the house AGAIN. I am going to look into that mimmium tempreture thing though its freezing up stairs.

November 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
I have had a email back and they arent prepaird to let us out the lease so im going to explore the other options im going to try and get hold of cambridge muncipal and ask them if they have any laws on maitenance etc.