Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think our Shih Tzu is smarter than us....HELP

CEGP
October 29th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Hi all,
I need help with my Shih Tzu. She is 8 years old and has been with us for 6 years. When we got her, she had just delivered her 2nd litter, the original owner no longer wanted her. We were told she was housebroken, good with people, animals, etc. I've never been a fan of crate training and since we were told she was housebroken I didn't do it. Very, very wrong on our part. She wasn't housebroken, had no boundaries (found her on the DR table) with her old family, and HATES other animals.

Fast forward to now, we've tried putting her in a crate when we go to work, she pees in it. I've made it smaller and she still pees. So I put her in the kitchen with a piece of plywood in the door frame. She jumped over a piece that is about 2 1/2 feet high. OK, I turn it vertically, cover it with vinyl fabric so she doesn't get splinters, attach 4 hooks and attach to door frame. She unhooked the bottom two, so we get the locking hooks. I kid you not, she ate away the wood, removed the one lower hook and got out. After all the Houdini escapes, she pees in the guest room.

I have taken her to the vet already, telling him she drinks excessively and urinates to match. Blood work and physical exam all came back fine. He says she has separation anxiety and we put her on puppy Prozac. That made it worse and we took her off. Due to her age he thought it was maybe hormonal, but he explained when that's the case she will pee while she is sleeping. She doesn't do that, she gets and goes somewhere else. I've changed her treats thinking too much salt. She is on mature IAMS, so I'm guessing that should already be low salt.

My only idea is to limit her water intake but fear that isn't really a good idea; she must be drinking for some reason. I don't know what else to do. I'm pregnant with our first and I fear in May this will be a million times worse. Should we treat her like a puppy and try to retrain her?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We love this pooch with all our hearts, but are quickly becoming exasperated by her behavior.

Thanks,
CEGP

shihtzulover
October 29th, 2004, 10:03 AM
I have a 6 month old Shih Tzu and she also has a mind of her own. She only likes to do what she likes to do. Have you tried using puppy pads when your not home. When we go to work Sophie has a litter box with puppy pad in it. (No Litter) She alwasy goes in this. They say the pad has some kind of scent in it to make them pee on it. If this works it may solve some of your problems with her peeing everywhere.

goldenblaze
October 30th, 2004, 12:47 AM
yes I agree these dogs can have a mind of their own :eek:
Jordie is 4 and very good at going outside to do his things but when he doesn't want to hear what I am saying I swear he turns his head and puts his face up. Sad thing is most of the time he knows he will get away with it. ;)

carey
October 30th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Was she checked for diabetes?

MPickering
November 8th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Wow! That sounds exactly like Peaches (our 1 1/2 year old shih tzu that just passed away). She would be ok all day long, go outside and do her business. But, when we went out, or during the night she would always get up and do her business in the dining room (always the exact same spot like she thought that was what she was supposed to do). And we tried almost everything, crate training, putting her in the bathroom and closing the door, boarding her up in the kitchen. Nothing worked she just didn't care. She would either go right there or she would wait and then as soon as we let her out, she would run as fast as her tiny legs would take her to the dining room. These dogs are precious but very very stubborn. Be patient with her that's all I can say.

chico2
November 13th, 2004, 04:31 PM
CEGP,I am just curious,you say she's 8yrs old and you've had her for 6yrs,did this just start or has it been going on for 6 yrs???