Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ethics Question?

Joelle
October 28th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Ok this may sound kinda dumb but you know when you work for a tech company. You shouldn't do "tech" work as a side business or work for a competitor because that's not ethical. Does the same hold true with volunteering? Can I help out at more then one animal adoption organization or is this again "not ethical" Any ideas?

Thanks!

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Oh wow, I have done some lecturing in the area of ethics (University med school) but this is a tough question. I think if the goals of both organizations are the same it can't be all that wrong. I do think the politics of both groups could be a problem though. And how are the resources of the groups impacted? I could see if you are utilizing the resources and information of one to help another, that might be questionable but it is all so hypothetical.

I live in the Maritimes so it is not like we have animal rescue groups tripping over one another but I have read online accounts of groups who have "issues" with each other. It seems to be rescuing and helping the critters is the main objective!

I guess one would need more info. What will you be doing for each group? Is there a conflict of interest involved? WHY are you working for two groups? Do they serve different goals?

Hope this helps!

melanie
October 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
as long as the two parties have no conflict of interest or you dont have vested interest in one and not the other i cant see a problem.

i think your main issue should be weather by working/volunteering for two diff acencies are you streaching your resourses too thin, will they both benifit from our help or will they both get half energies etc. i think that should be an important consideration for you, do you stick with one and give them all energy and all youve got, or do you try and share your energies between the two, will that be effective in your eyes??

oh i love ethics and related questions, could go on about it all day :D :D kep em comin :D :p

dmc123
October 29th, 2004, 06:56 PM
I am a PC Tech at work, and occasionally I do some side work. As long as I don't bring my outside work into my company work, or vice versa I think it is fine. There should be a separation.

If you have signed some sort of contract, then it should be looked at more carefully than my general answer here.

~~dmc

Gazoo
October 30th, 2004, 12:36 AM
If there's no paycheque involved i don't really think it would matter.

Joelle
November 2nd, 2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!! :D

The reason I wanted to volunteer elsewhere is just because I have extra time on my hands now and I want to help out as much as possible. The more the better, atleast that's what I figured. Maybe I should volunteer helping people, no conflict.

Thanks again!

Joelle