Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can Dogs chew through Leather collars

Shelby
October 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Wilson has developed a liking to chewing Izzy's collars when they are left alone in the yard. I know it's probably because he is bored because this never happens when we are at home. They have HEAPS of toys that they can play with, but it's the typical, "I only want to play with what I'm not allowed too" attitude. I've also coated Izzy's collars in various stop chew products, but Wilson seems to like the taste because it doesn't stop him. Usually we have to take Izzy's collar off, but sometimes I forget and sure enough, when I get home, yet another collar has been chewed!
I was thinking of getting Izzy a leather collar, are they easy to chew through?

Cinnabear
October 29th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Oh yeah. I wouldn't get a leather collar if he's already chewing on a nylon one. The leather to him probably has a appealing scent on it too. Good luck in finding one that is indestructable. :D

glasslass
October 29th, 2004, 02:17 PM
When my parents adopted Alfie from the pound, he was skin and bones and obviously had a rough life before AC picked him up. First thing he did was eat anything made of leather that he found in his new home. I was wearing leather sandals and kicked one off under the table. He ate the side out of it while I was sitting there! After a few weeks, and putting everything out of his reach, he started realizing that food was going to be available and he quit the behaviour.

lilith_rizel
October 30th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I have had a dog that chewed a leather collar before. Dog's teeth are sharper than most people think.

Shelby
October 31st, 2004, 05:13 PM
thanks for your replys everyone. I think Izzy will just have to go without for a while until Wilson gets out of this chewing phase (if he ever gets out of this chewing phase!!).