Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Halloween Reminder

Shae
October 28th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Just a reminder..................Halloween is this weekend. PLEASE keep your pets inside the safety of your home.
ESPECIALLY BLACK CATS............. Severe target in my area last year. We discovered several......I won't go into details but for whatever the reason, Halloween seems to be a time of year that many people take advantage of and are horrible and cruel to animals. Not to mention firecrackers and fireworks send the animals in to panic. Many escape their confined backyards only to be hit by cars, get lost, end up at local shelters, and worse. Our animal companions depend on us for their safety. Lets not let them down.
Other than that have a HAPPY and SAFE HALLOWEEN! :party:

Princesss04
October 28th, 2004, 07:45 PM
I was thinking about that on my way home from work thank you for reminding us all. I know I have to watch the black cat thing. it is awful what they will do to black cats. I know I have a baby that is black,

shihtzulover
October 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM
I have 2 all black cats and I make them comfy in my bedroom for the evening, I don't even anyone knowing I have a black cats. I have heard of people burning houses down because they seen a black cat inside. It makes me sick, but I always keep them safe out of harms way. I will post some photos but everyone has probably has seen them as they are old.

shihtzulover
October 29th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Heres Joey, The other is Pepper

Mysts38
October 29th, 2004, 07:41 AM
I have always brough Noel and pumpkin in early on Halloween,it makes me feel better knowing they are in the house and safe

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 08:36 AM
For the rest of the weekend, Cano isn't allowed out to play by himself like he normally is. We have some neighbors that always stare at him. We think it is because he is purebred, and they wouldn't mind getting their hands on him, just to sell him for $$. So Halloween would be the perfect time to steal him. Wearing a mask, no one would know who it was, right?
No one is going to steal my angel.

tyr
October 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
This just reminded me! There are 16 beautiful black cats at Friends of Abandoned Pets (foap.on.ca) in Ottawa....16!!!! I was wondering why there were so many....now I think I have an idea.

My Jesse is a black cat and after reading all of the above I am SO glad that all my kitties are indoor pets only....well among other reasons.

Should I be worried that they like to sit and watch out our window over my favourite holiday weekend?

TalonsMa
October 29th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I didn't even think of that!!! I mean, we always put the kitty' into our room, as they try to run out :) But w/ Solara...I will definately keep her in pen on Halloween night. Thks for the heads up :)

Petographer
October 29th, 2004, 08:19 PM
The spca isn't even adopting black cats during halloween here in B.C. Well, Vancouver anyway. What I find more on a nuisance here is fireworks. For a week before halloween and a week after firecrackers are always going off. Kids going to and from school. In Vancouver it is a $500.00 fine lighting off fireworks on any day other than Halloween. Also, because we're so close to the Washington border, firecrackers are very common.
I'm all for fun and everything that goes with this yearly tradition but the fireworks are a nuisance. It stresses the animals to no end.

Writing4Fun
October 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Fireworks at Hallowe'en? Never heard of that one before!

Shae
October 29th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Yes, thats right ....Our SPCA isnt adopting out black cats this year at Halloween. Good move on their part . Every year and every holiday its something different at the animal hospital. Christmas and Easter, we get the dogs that got into chocolate (chocolate poisoning),Thanksgiving we get the dogs or cats that ate too much turkey,,,,,,the bloats, Halloween being the most gruesome and shocking. We've seen it all. I wont go into gory detail but I recall the one day I saw some kids put a cat into a garbage tin and toss in firecrackers , slammed on the lid and ran. It was heartbreaking as we couldnt move quick enough obviously before they went off. Anyway, if you're pet really stresses and has a difficult time due to noise and firecrackers.....consider asking your veterinarian for a mild sedative to relax him or her over the weekend, such as Atravet or something. It's worth it if it makes your pet feel safer this weekend.

Shae
October 29th, 2004, 11:11 PM
BTW people..........these photos are absolutley beautiful!!!!! I miss my black cat Shadow. :sad: Many many years ago (at Halloween, big surprise) I ran out to get more candy, and my boyfriend let the cat out accidently while distributing the candy. (still no clue how she got out of the locked bedroom.hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm????) That was last night I ever saw her. A couple days later near the garbage dump , police discovered several animal remains that were scattered about there. Many people speculated they were from rituals,etc, but who knows. :mad:

glasslass
October 30th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the timely reminder! Puss-Puss is already confined to being inside. She's black & white, but we take no chances with our little girl.

lilith_rizel
October 30th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Cano was cooped up in the house all day yesterday, and he's a yellow lab. (But we have people always staring at him when he is out. But that's another story.) He drove me absolutly nuts. Everytime I would go near a door, he would practically knock me over, trying to get to it first, so he could use his puppy eyes on me. It was so hard to keep him in doors all day, and with trying to get the house ready for the Halloween party tomorrow, I didn't have time to go outside and play with him. He did get a treat. He was able to go with us to our friends' house and play with their dogs, for 3 hours or so. He really enjoyed that.

Petographer
October 30th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Fireworks at Hallowe'en? Never heard of that one before!

Not an issue in Ontario, but here in B.C. we have to deal with it 2x a year. Canada Day and Halloween.

onecatandonedog
October 30th, 2004, 09:09 PM
black cats are temperate and nice. black colour is the colour of regeneration. always pet a black cat and give it gifts of food.

i know a black cat and it is the most temperate of the 4 cats.

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Heres my little angel :angel:

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 09:44 PM
One more :)

coonlover
October 30th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I love her coat. Wellness has helped it get so shiny.

heeler's rock!
October 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
black cats are temperate and nice. black colour is the colour of regeneration. always pet a black cat and give it gifts of food.

What?? I don't get that statement at all.....??? :confused:

Schwinn
October 31st, 2004, 01:14 AM
What?? I don't get that statement at all.....??? :confused:

Go back and look in the BSL thread, where Onecat was trolling. It's either a child, or someone with serious issues. Take a look at some of thier statements. Very bizzare.

heeler's rock!
October 31st, 2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah, no doubt....I was looking at some of the other posts and commented on them being a troll in another thread. Weird.....?

Go back and look in the BSL thread, where Onecat was trolling. It's either a child, or someone with serious issues. Take a look at some of thier statements. Very bizzare.