Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP with Posting Pictures!

Copper'sMom
October 28th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I have many troubles trying to post pictures. My files are always to large. I upload my pics from my digital camera. I'm not overly computer illiterate, but when it comes to the photo part I get lost. I have been able to post pictures on a website before, but they resize my files for me. My avatar(is this right?), I think I got it on by luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

BamaRama
October 28th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Hate to say it but your avatar isn't showing up :(

Sounds like you need a program to resize your pictures...a photo editor of some sort. I have one; If you like, you can email me some pictures and I will gladly resize them for you and send them back to you..It's up to you, I'm happy to do it.

As well, avatars on here should be 50pixels by 50 pixels, i think. So again email me a pic of what you want used for your avatar if you want, and I will resize it to that size for ya.

I'll pm you with my email addy :)

-Laura:)

CyberKitten
October 28th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Typically, there is a photo editor with most digital cameras. Did you search your CD that came with your camera. If not, you can likely use Paint (under Accesories if you are using a Windows Operating System) to at least resize the photo. Another option is to open the photo and then save it as a jpeg format rather than bmp or tiff file format which would be much larger. When you are saving the file. just note the type of file format you are saving it as.

Good luck!

Stewart
October 29th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Hi ! Just a suggestion for you,I use a small program I downloaded for free off the net called irfanview this program is so easy to use the resize picture is what you need to do just keep shrinking utill it goes no smaller for avatars ;) Try useing google search engine to locate it and download it as I say is only a small program.

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks all!! Give me some time. Hopefully now I can figure it out!!!

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Ok here's what i have....Lexmark Photo Editor, Lexmark Photo Center, Paint and I do have a disk that came with my camera but i didn't install it on this computer!!!! How silly of me!

I've tried to use the other programs but I guess I just don't know how to use them properly. All of the mumbo jumbo gets me really lost :confused: I change the sizes and I either get really large pics or too small of pics. My pics are all saved in jpeg format but are too large to attach. I'll just keep trying!!!!

ok here's one that i tried....

this is so small!!

raingirl
October 29th, 2004, 12:28 PM
I can help you out.

These are pics from your digital camera right? Answer me these questions.

How many Mega Pixels is your camera?

Are you taking the pictures at the highest resolution (my camera is 3.2 MP, so that usually means my pictures are about 3MB per pic, and I have options to take pics at 3MB, 2MB or 1MB, each having a lower resolution)?

Are you attaching pictuers to show in the message, or as attachements? I assume the max is probably 500K (which is 500,000kb) as a pic in the message.

Are you uploading from a website or from your computer hard drive?

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Raingirl :)

My camera is 2.0 Mega Pixel (this means nothing to me!) and I looked over my manual and camera and I am taking pics at the highest resolution. My manual says "High Resolution: 2048 X 1536 Pixels - interpolation to 3 Megapixel images."
I try to attach pictures to show in the message rather than as an attachment. I upload these from my hard drive.

Do I change my resolution??

CyberKitten
October 29th, 2004, 02:32 PM
C's mom,

Have you tried resizing the photos? I do not use the program you mentioned that was on your disk but it probably has a Resize option (Likely under edit or another task on the toolbar at the top of the program). Your digital is likely set to save and upload photos in a default file format (Many are jpegs but some also use bmp or tif which are HUGE!) Jepgs should be smaller but you can resize them.

I resized the picture of my bunny that you see on the side here using a photo editor that came with my HP laser printer. You could also upload the picture to another place online (like Tripod or Photobucket - one of those free sites) and add a link - copy and paste the url here.

I have cable and a T1 at work but people who use dialup probably do not care for these huge pictures since they take so long to download.

I hope this helps!!!

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I did try a free site to post pics on here before, but of course they want you to buy a subscription. So the photos I did have are gone now :( . I will look for more though! The programs I have installed on this computer, I haven't been successful at resizing pics. I just don't know what I'm doing!!! LOL Hopefully I'll learn a few things from you all!! Thanks again everyone! :)

raingirl
October 29th, 2004, 02:55 PM
OK. So you have a 2MP camera. So the pics should be around 2 MB. Simple math...

2 MB = 2 million bytes

1000 bytes = 1 kb

Pics need to be under 500 kb right? So you need to reduce your picture by the percentage that takes a 2,000,000 byte pic down to 500,000 byte pic which converts to a 4:1 ratio (500,000 into 2 million 4 times)

Therefore, you need to reduce a 2MB picture by 75% to fit it here. I would do maybe 78% just in case, because the pics won't be exactly 2MB.

Go to your menus in your program. ONe should have a "resize command". a window should come up with 2 boxes. One for width, and one for height. Make sure you put the same percentage in each box, then click ok.

GO back to your menus and find one that says "Properties". A window should come up which shows how big (file size) the picture is. As long as it is 500000 bytes (500K) and under, you should be able to post it here. If it is under 500K, save the file UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME as a jpg format.

Then just post it here!

I hope this clarifies it. Someone explained the "bytes" way to me, and it helped a lot for easy fast resizing.

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM
ok here goes..................I can't beleive i did it!! Thanks Raingirl!

BamaRama
October 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Yay! I'm glad you figured it out, I sent that picture back to you resized as well. If I was more computer savvy, I would be able to explain it to you the way raingirl did, but I'm not, so all I could do was offer to do it since I know how to push the buttons to do it. haha. :) But I'm glad you figured it out:)

Copper'sMom
October 29th, 2004, 03:30 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :) :)

I will still have to play around to figure it all out but at least its starting to make sense now!! Who hoo I can't beleive it!! THANK YOU!!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

Now I can post pics like crazy!!! :party: :party: