Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What can I do to stop my dog from being car sick?

Luvmypit
October 28th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Speaking of car rides I was wondering if there is anything i can give Capone so he doesn't throw up in my car. He has a hard time and tries his best to sleep while in the car but once we are turning , going up and down hills he throws up.

GsdDiamond
October 28th, 2004, 04:00 PM
How old is Capone?

Luvmypit
October 28th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Hes turning 2 in January, is that a factor?

goldenblaze
October 28th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Not sure if it is the same but ..... my cat yrs ago was sick in the car and I found if I gave her a blanket to cover her head she was fine. She would cover her head and look out the blanket and it worked great. Might be the same for a dog, also you can just give a 1/2 of a motion sickness pill, it does help and it is safe.

BMDLuver
October 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Ask your vet about gravol for your dog. I believe the dog can be given human generic type but check with your vet about dosage. I had a spaniel terrier mix that was always car sick on the way to our ski chalet, very twisty windy roads. As I went every weekend, my vet gave me a prescription for him. This was over 20 years ago so I am afraid I don't remember what it was called. Best of luck.

Goldenmom
October 28th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Do you know those things that hang down under cars for Humans that get car sick? I understand they work for animals also. Maybe check with your vet?

I would also look into gravol.

Heather

goldenblaze
October 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Gravol will also help the pets sleep in the car, ask your vet but mine told me 1/2 of a pill for Jordie 14lbs and 1 pill for kaiger which was I believe 67lbs at the time.

Shelby
October 29th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Have you thought about herbal remedies? Ginger is good for motion sickness.

Luvmypit
October 29th, 2004, 09:26 AM
You guys rock. I did consider gravol but didn't know what to give him and if it was safe. Hes 55 lbs. I think all of those suggestions will help. I know when he sleeps in the car hes better off so the blanket over his face so he can't see the moving enviroment outside will help. Is there ginger for dogs or can I give him a human supplement?

Gazoo
October 29th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Do you know those things that hang down under cars for Humans that get car sick? I understand they work for animals also. Maybe check with your vet?

I would also look into gravol.

Heather

They're called grounding straps and they remove friction/static electricity from the car. They work for people and it worked for my brothers dog ;)

Luvmypit
October 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM
What a great message board. Thanks guys!! Its nice knowing that we can all help eachother.

goldenblaze
October 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Luvmypit

You are right, it is great asking for advice and getting it on here, I'm sure you have helped many people before yoursself with some advice.. Main thing is we are all animal lovers and want the best for our kids. If your kid is 55lbs one pills 10-15 mintues before going in car would work, it will not hurt your dog in anyway. Good Luck, hope you have a pleasant car ride. :thumbs up

Petographer
October 29th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Just like people, it takes time for the dog to get used to it. Keep the rides short and over time lengthen the ride. Soon your pup will get more used to it. It took my dog a few years before she got totally imune from motion sickness. I also found that the dog was able to handle car rides easier at night.