Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

newspaper ad.....

lezzpezz
October 28th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Has anyone heard of a service dog business called "Canine Enforcement Agency"? There is an add in our local rag today from this company looking for service dog helpers to home puppies in training at no cost, as food, shots etc are provided. I called to see what it is all about and left a voice message with "Fabio". The message did not sound at all like a business message, rather a personal home.
I have called the local police canine unit and the better business bureau, both of whom have no info whatsoever on this business. Just curious if any other cities out there have similar companies looking to house pups in training and if they are legit if not affiliated with Canadian Service dogs, the police etc.

Joelle
October 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM
I don't know much about these things..but it sounds fishy to me :eek: I wouldn't take one in until I got more info!

lezzpezz
October 28th, 2004, 09:44 AM
My thoughts exactly. I want to find out more about them and see how the operation is run. If they are a legitimate business, good for them. I don't think I can actually take in another dog even if only on a temporary basis, as our existing bylaw states only 3 per household, which I already have. I was hoping to investigate if they can use my skills in another way in the organization. Which brings me to: If I own the maximum allowable number of dogs or cats permitted by my city, how does fostering work? Is one allowed to foster other needy animals ON TOP of the number of pets owned by one household?

lezzpezz
October 29th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Well the fellow called me and we have set up an appointment to meet in about a week, when he gets through all of the paperwork etc. These dogs are raised in homes for socialization for the OPP. The only requirement is that they are socialized, taken to different scenarios, such as car rides, park outings and must learn how to play fetch. The last one is a biggy, apparently. Then they are wisked off to OPP training school for their intensive training. Sounds good to me to be able to help with this. I am still gonna call OPP to verify that this is a legit operation. If it is, I am willing to do my part and take on a pup. My only concern is letting it go after 4 months. No doubt a bond will have formed, just like the one I have with my neighbours' GS pup! I love her and vice versa, but she must go home every day :( :( :(

lezzpezz
October 29th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Oh yeah...these dogs will arrive from Europe next week or so: all GS, Belgian Sheps, French ??, ....he rattled off a bunch of European breeds, some of which I am not too familiar with. He also "interviewed" me on the phone, with more to follow. He seems genuinely interested in placing these pups in safe, caring environments.

lilith_rizel
October 29th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I would still becareful. But it is a good thing you are trying to do.

lezzpezz
October 30th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I spoke with the OPP in our area that deals with the canine training unit and the officer said he had rec'd 3 calls about this ad and would investigate. He called me back and said that it is indeed a legitimate OPP dog training business and that he personally knows many of the dogs that have been acquired by the OPP from this organization and they are all exceptionally great service dogs! I am elated that I will be able to help in the early stages of the puppies development and know that they are going into the proper hands afterward. Makes my heart sing!!

carey
October 30th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Just wondering why dogs need to be imported when there are probably many suitable pups right here in Canada looking for homes?

lezzpezz
October 31st, 2004, 06:24 AM
Don't know, but I plan to find out. I am wondering if these are specific breeders chosen years ago that have dogs with the proven qualities that the OPP desires, therefore, they have continued to purchase these dogs from overseas.

Also, after speaking with Sgt. O'Halloran of the local OPP, he informed me that they do actually take local dogs from homes where the owners realize that they are unable to handle a large young dog such as a GS, and will put it thru some specific testing to see if it would qualify as a candidate for OPP training. Some do, some don't pass the tests. Many owners have turned to the OPP to give up their dogs, before surrendering it to another place, and I think that is a wonderful option. Too bad, however, that these dog owners didn't first study up on the type of dog they were getting and the work involved in raising a large active dog!!

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 09:05 AM
I know that GSD from Germany and North America differ greatly with respect to temperment and physical attributes.

GSDs from Germany are physically lower to the ground, and longer in the body. They also have a tendancy to stay "darker" than their North American cousins. I'm not sure how they differ tempermentally, but I would imagine it's a great difference if they perfer European dogs.

The other common breeds for Policing in Europe are Belgian Tervuren and Belgian Malinois. These dogs stongly resemble the GSD but the Malinois is quite a bit shaggy in comparison. I love the look of the Malinois, and if I could've gotten one you bet I would have tried! I settled for the close second of the GSD. (and I don't resent my choice for one second!!) Apparently these exotic breeds are becoming increasingly popular among North American Law Enforcement because of their intelligence and bravery.

I envy you the chance to work with these wonderful dogs!!!

lezzpezz
November 1st, 2004, 10:25 AM
Yes, I am thrilled with the prospect! The officer mentioned both the malinois and GS, and a french breed, but I didn't catch the full breed name. There were others names mentioned that I have heard of, but he rattled off so many so fast, they didn't all stick in my head. I think it is a neat service that I can be part of!

GsdDiamond
November 1st, 2004, 11:19 AM
That's totally awesome!!! If you get a chance to help rear a dog, get pics!!!! I'd love to see a Malinois puppy!!!

Sheriffmom
November 1st, 2004, 11:39 AM
I know with the Police in our area, they import most of their dogs, as they have certain breeders of very specific dogs, with a track record of high performance police dogs. It is extreamly $$$ to train these dogs, and they have to meet an extreamly high standard to go on the road as "police officers". I also know a few ppl who have adopted dogs imported by the Police who do not meet the standards ( not high enough play drive, small medical issue etc...) By the time these ppl get these dog they are extreamly well trained!! I know there is a site somewhere to go to to find out about adopting Police dogs who have not met the standard.

lezzpezz
November 1st, 2004, 01:34 PM
I will try to get my buddy to take a few snaps and try to post them IF I get a malinois puppy or whatever breed they put in my care. I have no techy experience when it comes to putting photos on the computer, so I will have to depend on my friend for that!