Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Working 9-5

shihtzulover
October 28th, 2004, 08:06 AM
I don't think its right to say someone who works all day can't have a dog. My husband and I both work all day and probably will always have too. Jobs don't pay enough all the time for 1 person to be able to stay home. We have bills to pay and 2 cats and a dog to take care of. If my husband and I both didn't work there is no way we could even afford to have any pets. I feel bad every morning when we have to leave Sophie. But our living room floor looks like Toys R Us for Puppies. She has a ton of toys, the best beds, the best food etc. When we get home afterwork her and the cats are all we think about. We take her everywhere with is in the evenings and on the weekends. We don't leave her alone at all on weekends, we don't even get our groceries together anymore because someone has to stay home with the dog. She is very smart and knows a lot of tricks she doesn't seem aggressive at all. The only thing we have a problem with is potty training and thats because we are not home to take her out all day. But I have trained her to go in a litter box with puppy pads on the bottom. So she does not pee on the floor.
I just wanted to let everyone know that just because people have to work all does not mean they can't have a dog. If this were the case there would be alot more homeless dogs out there.
I know some people will not agree with this but I just had to vent a little. :sorry:

sammiec
October 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM
I think that people working 9 to 5 can be just as good to their dogs (if not better) than those not working!!! I know a person that stays home all day and doesn't care for her dog at all. She sits infront of the television or computer and won't walk the dog until later at night - if even then... how does that make it better?
Yes, dog are social creatures... but so are humans... many people spend time alone (I know I do)... it's not the end of the world, and I think that a dog that is socialized and active when you are home is still a healthy dog.

BUT I do think if the dog is alone for like 12 - 16 hours, that's a bit of a concern and should be dealt with. When someone works that many hours there is very little time for that animal.

Mysts38
October 28th, 2004, 08:48 AM
I dont think it was said that people who work during the day,shouldnt have a dog.I think what some disagree with,is havig a puppy penned in a kennel from 7:30am-5:30PM without a chance to take a potty break.

Puppies should be crated or kenneled for one hour for each month of their age.So if it were Hannah,she could be crated for 3 hours tops..but iam home all day so there is no need for that.

I personally wouldnt have gotten a dog if I wasnt at home,but thats the decision my family and I made when we considered a puppy.Your pup is more in a playpen situation,where she can have some freedom to play,sleep and potty and I think thats great :thumbs up

sammiec
October 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Yeah Mysts, you're right... I was thinking about older dogs... puppies do need someone home more regularly... that's why the complications with house training... the puppy can't possibly be expected to hold it for 8 hours.. they have to go... then their is onfusion about why can they go when you're not home and get in touble when you are home...then they hide from you... they need someone around for those first important months where they are unable to hold it...

m_apol
October 28th, 2004, 11:00 AM
That was the main issue when I was looking to adopt a dog. I work full-time. When they hear that, they just flat out deny my application. Even for healthy dogs.

raingirl
October 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Yeah. That's the problem I am having as well. Deny deny deny...it's sad. All we want is to help, but no one gives us a chance.

LL1
October 28th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Almost all of the people who have adopted from me work. If you are looking to adopt a puppy tho it is a different story.

squarejane
October 28th, 2004, 12:54 PM
this is the age old debate isn't it? some people feel this way about children too... that you shouldn't have one if you are just going to put them into daycare. there will always be those on both sides of the argument but only you know what kind of pet owner you will be. at the shop i work at (a hair salon) not only are we pet friendly, but we allow our assistant to bring her puppy to work with her every day. my ex husband also brings his senegal to work with him 3 days out of 5. you'd be surprised at how flexible certain employers can be if you just ask.

lexah
October 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM
When I lived in Oz my bf and I both worked 9-5 jobs, and we had a dog each, however they had a huge backyard to play in all day. They thought it was great fun :D

Mysts38
October 28th, 2004, 02:10 PM
How they have kid daycare at work right? well how about Doggie daycare where you work? that would be SO COOL..in fact I was watching a show on the life channel I believe..and there is such a daycare in NY city..where people pay $38 a day for their dogs to go to daycare

The dogs swim and play and go on field trips...hubby and I were talking about it and agreed that if both worked we would put hannah in doggy daycare(funds providing)

heidiho
October 28th, 2004, 02:22 PM
That would be great but who can afford 38.00 a day,not I....

raingirl
October 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I wish I could bring my dog (when I get one) downtown for doggy day care, but Go Transit doesn't allow dogs on it!

shihtzulover
October 28th, 2004, 02:49 PM
I would love to put Sophie in daycare all day. But I am the most over protective mother in the world :love: . I am scared someone will hurt her when I am not around. I am even scared to leave her to get groomed.

m_apol
October 28th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Wow, what hair salon are you working for? I'd like to bring my l'il baby while i'm being pampered! And yeah, I only started to get results when I told them my hubby will be feeding in the middle of the day, which is true, just forgot to mention it on my previous applications.

jjgeonerd
October 28th, 2004, 05:08 PM
My wife and I rescued a 3-3 1/2 month old pup, and we both work 9-5. We took turns coming home for an hour at lunch every day until she was 7 months old. She was kenneled for the 1st 2 weeks between our visits, then we just let her have the downstairs bedroom after she started getting the hang of potty training. Now she stays by herself all day in the downstairs bedroom and has a dog door to go outside and poddy/play whenever she wants. She seems to be very happy. We also take her for walks and to dog parks every night and the weekends are pretty much her time!

I wouldn't get a puppy any younger than 3-4 months if you can't be there all day for a while though. Also, the rescue place would only agree to let us have her after we told them of our plan to go home at lunch. We both have nice bosses. :D

melanie
October 28th, 2004, 06:02 PM
:D i agree with you all, and i agree with the idea that being with a dog 24hrs a day does not ensure adequate care or excersise. working from home i spend all day with my dog most days, if i want to go out i can though. she gets a run every morning, i could not imagine the greif she would give me if she didnt, she would whine the whole day long i assure you.and we play periodically throughout the day, but not always. but she is not always with me during the day. she likes to go and hang outside in the sun on her own and sleeps on her bed in the room too, so we dont sit together all day. this has always been the case. she loves her back yard and is happy to be left there anytime, she relaly does enjoy it but it is a space i have always treated as special and hers and encouraged that in her so its not like we sit together anyway and sometimes she will sleep in the sun for hours, it would nto materif i was here or not.

i had mums pup last week, he is 6mths, (we dont crate train here, very rare we just do what i call hangin out happy training). i left him in my very large kitchen (i figure its like a giant crate anyway) with my dog for 4hrs as i had to go to the next town for bill paying, came home and they were fine and happy. i wouldnt leave him outside though a that is not how he is trained (he uses doggy door and comes and goes when pleases) and would freak him out a little as i dont have a doggy door.

and when i am working, i jsut run her hard in the mornings, by the time she has built up that energy again i will be home soon, seems to keep her nice and happy. ecxersise and adequate atttention is the key to any happy contented dog, a workers dog or a stay at homers job :D

melanie
October 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
one thing i forgot to mention is tmy dog is now very flexible (not yoga). because she is not afraid of being alone and knows i will be back eventually i can leave her other places and hse is happy too, my sisters back yard, mums yard, lots of friends places, she is happy to hang out and wait for me (i do shopping in other towns so if im gone long i take her with me and leave her with one of her doggy friends for company or for my markets i just leave her with mum and she is happy as larry).

so perhaps from being a hang out dog, this has happened or perhaps she just is confident in me, but either way she is content to hang out and wait for me. :D

and the first thing i ever learnt about dog care at dog school was this 'you share you life with a dog, you dont let the dog rule your life', that keeps humans and dogs happy, humans can do their thing, and dogs are not taught ot be anxious or similar without owners, win win i say.

glasslass
October 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
My hubby and I have always worked and it has never been a problem. Den-Den has a doggie door and his Puss-Puss for company. He gets lots of love and attention from us in the evenings. Since his attack from the neighbor's dogs, I've been taking him to Grandma's house on my way to work. When he gets there, he dives into the bed with his grandma to sleep in later.